The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy & Ethics: Official Thread for May/June 2016

Scroll to see replies

What were the 2015 predictions for AS OCR philosophy?
Good luck everyone. Your life will get doper no matter how good/bad you do in school
How would you answer a 25 marker on gaunilos challenge to ontological argument ... I know of some points but not enough for A part question
Original post by Jooosmooon
How would you answer a 25 marker on gaunilos challenge to ontological argument ... I know of some points but not enough for A part question

Explain onto first; specifically Anselms, then go into the criticisms
Original post by jackf1998
Explain onto first; specifically Anselms, then go into the criticisms

As it says 'assess' do I not need strengths or weaknesses about his challenges ?
Original post by bethrosina
If anyone needs anything else i've literally got a PP with 'nearly' everything for AS Philosophy on so... :smile:

Omg where can i access the powerpoint???
last min qs:
What are the key things to write in part A and B
Do we get marked down for not mentioning philosophers in part a, suppose if it asked to explain a theodicy?
Are you going to spend 5 mins to plan before answering?
How much should be written for each question?
(edited 7 years ago)
Can someone help me on humes critisisms of cosmological argument .. Can't find my notes anywhere !!
Original post by asdfghjkl99
last min qs:
What are the key things to write in part A and B
Do we get marked down for not mentioning philosophers in part a, suppose if it asked to explain a theodicy?
Are you going to spend 5 mins to plan before answering?
How much should be written for each question?

Hey! 1). Part A is about displaying KNOWLEDGE. The examiner does NOT want you to evaluate here. This is where you express and express the main points of a concept or a system of thinking etc. Part B questions are where you are called to analyse. Express strengths and weaknesses and do expand, don't just bullet point. You get marks for building a coherent answer! 2). I couldn't say for sure. I would definitely recommend having philosophers as you need them especially in the analysis. Some key ones could be Hume, Aristotle, Plato, Kant, GAUNILO (you need him, Plantinga and Anselm to explain the Onto argument!), Brian Davies, Iranaeus, Freud, Augustine.... Honestly you do need them. Pick out a few and memorise some key parts. However, if it is Part A question, you could probably get away with just mentioning the main philosopher. it depends what the questions calls for basically 3). I would. Perhaps not five minutes. I like to quickly jot down a word or two for each paragraph so I don't lose my trail of thought and go blank. Just to keep my sanity, reminding yourself that you know your stuff is comforting!4). How much is written for each question really does vary. People have different sized handwriting and speeds of writing so you can't really say. It should be an intro/conclusion plus about 3/4 (try to get four in!) paragraphs for the 25mk and about 3 strengths contrasted with 3 weaknesses for the 10mk!Hope you read this in time, good luck!!!!!
Reply 368
Good luck everyone 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louise12307
Hey! 1). Part A is about displaying KNOWLEDGE. The examiner does NOT want you to evaluate here. This is where you express and express the main points of a concept or a system of thinking etc. Part B questions are where you are called to analyse. Express strengths and weaknesses and do expand, don't just bullet point. You get marks for building a coherent answer! 2). I couldn't say for sure. I would definitely recommend having philosophers as you need them especially in the analysis. Some key ones could be Hume, Aristotle, Plato, Kant, GAUNILO (you need him, Plantinga and Anselm to explain the Onto argument!), Brian Davies, Iranaeus, Freud, Augustine.... Honestly you do need them. Pick out a few and memorise some key parts. However, if it is Part A question, you could probably get away with just mentioning the main philosopher. it depends what the questions calls for basically 3). I would. Perhaps not five minutes. I like to quickly jot down a word or two for each paragraph so I don't lose my trail of thought and go blank. Just to keep my sanity, reminding yourself that you know your stuff is comforting!4). How much is written for each question really does vary. People have different sized handwriting and speeds of writing so you can't really say. It should be an intro/conclusion plus about 3/4 (try to get four in!) paragraphs for the 25mk and about 3 strengths contrasted with 3 weaknesses for the 10mk!Hope you read this in time, good luck!!!!!

omg thank you so much! good luckkkk!! xxx
Good luck everyone, you'll all do great :smile: x
Good luck to all for all exams.....especially the philosophy one in an hour
That was immense! Plato STILL hasn't come up!!!! I did Kant and Anselm.... However in the Anselm one I did two paras on his arguments then a third on Descartes.. Will I get marks for mentioning Descartes even tho the Q was asking to explain Anselm's attempt to demonstrate God's existence?! I hope so cause I had nothing else to write lol
I really liked the questions apart from that fourth one about Irreducible Complexity, that question was an essay in itself! Hope the exam went well for everyone :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
That was a really nice paper apart from question 4! I did Anselm and irenaeus
Original post by Louise12307
That was immense! Plato STILL hasn't come up!!!! I did Kant and Anselm.... However in the Anselm one I did two paras on his arguments then a third on Descartes.. Will I get marks for mentioning Descartes even tho the Q was asking to explain Anselm's attempt to demonstrate God's existence?! I hope so cause I had nothing else to write lol

you won't lose marks, and may gain a few for background knowledge if I remember correctly :smile:
I walked in and completely forgot everything about ontological so had to do Kant and Irenaeus :frown:
Original post by thepurplerain
I really liked the questions apart from that fourth one about Irreducible Complexity, the length of the the question was an essay itself! Hope the exam went well for everyone :smile:

Yeah, I took one look at Question 4 and thought "NOPE".
Original post by samsun12345
Omg where can i access the powerpoint???

I'm so sorry I LITERALLY just saw this :frown:
Did most people do Q1 and 3?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending