The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Am I the only one who thinks that the only hard thing about FP3 is finding bloody focii?
Original post by oShahpo
Am I the only one who thinks that the only hard thing about FP3 is finding bloody focii?

I'm wont say it's the hardest, but it's up there...
:wink:
Original post by EricPiphany
I'm wont say it's the hardest, but it's up there...
:wink:

What else do you think is hard?
Original post by oShahpo

loci?
everything is hard for me...
Reply 284
Original post by Ayman!

Anyone have S2 on the same day?

Sitting M1 and FP2 on the same day, M2 and D1 on the same day, S2 and FP3 on the same day :biggrin:
Good luck!
Reply 285
Original post by oShahpo

Dude. Matrices. Integration reduction formula.
Reply 286
Original post by oShahpo
As long as they stick too the two types then i should be alright unless they pull off what they did on the june 2014 paper then im screwed
Reply 287
Original post by Synn
As long as they stick too the two types then i should be alright unless they pull off what they did on the june 2014 paper then im screwed

Or by pulling off what they did last year. It was the last question.

Did you see that the mark scheme's main method included the sum of roots? That's not even on the specification.

And solving it using the factor formulae was such a faff.
Original post by oShahpo

i find vectors a load of ****
Reply 289
Original post by MarocMan
i find vectors a load of ****

I find them hard because you can't easily visualise them.

I derived a few formulae for intersections, distances, etc. and they help massively.

I must've spent a good couple of weeks focussing entirely on vectors.
Original post by oinkk
Or by pulling off what they did last year. It was the last question.

Did you see that the mark scheme's main method included the sum of roots? That's not even on the specification.

And solving it using the factor formulae was such a faff.

Lmao I think that question was discounted or something. You could skip the entirety of the last question (0/14) and still get an A* :laugh:
Though part a was quite easy due to the fact that the equations needed were in the formula booklet. So (4/14)
Original post by oinkk
I find them hard because you can't easily visualise them.

I derived a few formulae for intersections, distances, etc. and they help massively.

I must've spent a good couple of weeks focussing entirely on vectors.

I'm scared because I am only starting this week and it is so wide range and also need to cover rest of fp3, do u think I can get the hang of fp3 in a month?
Reply 292
I'm scared because I am only starting this week and it is so wide range and also need to cover rest of fp3, do u think I can get the hang of fp3 in a month?

Fingers crossed you can!

There's a lot of content and a lot of concepts you need to get your head around.

Integration is a huge topic and forms the bulk of the paper (sometimes around 30/75). So get your head around that, then work your way down to the topics that aren't worth as many marks (hyperbolic functions).
Original post by oShahpo

Sum up of FP3
Hyperbolic functions Easy
Coordinate geometry: can be easy or **** hard, normally the latter.
Integration: piss easy if you know how to add zero
Vectors and matrices, sound hard look hard but aint actually hard in the papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Sum up of FP3
Hyperbolic functions Easy
Coordinate geometry: can be easy or **** hard, normally the latter.
Integration: piss easy if you know how to add zero
Vectors and matrices, sound hard look hard but aint actually hard in the papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean (add zero) :biggrin:? Vectors are really lovely if you forget about the book and come up with alternative methods. For example, I find the book's way of finding the distance between two parallel lines extremely tedious, just find the general distance vector between the two lines in terms of a variable t = lambda - mu, dot it with the any of the two's direction vector and equate answer to zero, solve for the variable and voila! Matrices can be done with a computer programme, that's how easy they are.

I did Mechanics 1-4 in a months and a half, so yea definitely possible. You just need to work hard, one topic should take no more than 2 days.
Original post by oShahpo
I did Mechanics 1-4 in a months and a half, so yea definitely possible. You just need to work hard, one topic should take no more than 2 days.

I respect that cause I understand the feeling of short time to learn a lot... Had to pretty much do that in AS but considering fp3 is muchhhh harder and longer I thought it'll be hard, but now I'm confident especially because of how easy yesterday was looool

I'm pretty sure you can get the hang of FP3 in 2 days...
Original post by oinkk
Fingers crossed you can!

There's a lot of content and a lot of concepts you need to get your head around.

Integration is a huge topic and forms the bulk of the paper (sometimes around 30/75). So get your head around that, then work your way down to the topics that aren't worth as many marks (hyperbolic functions).

Thanks for heads up and advice, its much appreciated... Just need to grind now and try hit that 100UMS considering FP3 relatively low boundaries most years, need to take advantage of that fact if I want any chance of an A* in further maths
Original post by Zacken
I'm pretty sure you can get the hang of FP3 in 2 days...

"Get the hang of" might be slightly misleading if you haven't started it before. Sure you can pretty much learn all the concepts in a day or two max, but I think it takes much more practice to get a feeling of confidence and an actual understanding of each topic.

Quick Reply