The Student Room Group

From HNC to Beng. Maths

Hey all,

I've been accepted onto a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering at sunderland uni, but with direct entry to the second year as I'e got a HNC.

I didn't go down the typical route of A levels, so I think I would struggle quite a lot with the maths aspect of the degree. Got distinction at HNC level, don't get me wrong it was hard but it was all assignment based work with small group lectures.

What I'm asking is how did you find the maths aspect of the degree? Was it a huge leap from A levels (in which case i am well and truely f**ked) and how well is the content given (i.e do you get given notes, or futher help if needed). Only asking this as ive had a look at some past exams, and they look ridicously hard and contain stuff I've never even seen let alone studied!

I would be gratefull for anyones views or advice on this, sorry if I'm niave but this is a totally new experience for me!

Cheers, Kirky
Original post by Kirky96

I would be gratefull for anyones views or advice on this, sorry if I'm niave but this is a totally new experience for me!

Cheers, Kirky

Hey!

Maths is thoroughly taught in the first two years of university. If maths isn't your strong point then going directly into second year could be a bit of a struggle, but this will vary from university to university. You should look into the first and second year maths classes and see where your current knowledge puts you. The majority of engineering classes will require a good understanding of maths, whilst you can still get by with knowing a little, it helps massively to be confident in different concepts.

If your university are offering direct entry into second year, they probably think your current knowledge is sufficient. I studied in Scotland, so I'm not hugely familiar with what they teach at A-level, so hopefully others can shed light on that. Having a firm understanding of differential/integral calculus is incredibly important and working with complex/linear algebra will be very common. If you're not at an A-level standard, a jump to second year may be a bit overwhelming.

Read up on your course and some of the course content, that way you can get a solid idea.
Hope this helps,

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending