The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Maths Core 1 - 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by timtjtim
√65 for the radius, so 9 for AT.

Yes ... Don't want to sound smug but i think i got 75/75 ... Wbu?
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Yes ... Don't want to sound smug but i think i got 75/75 ... Wbu?

I'd really like an A - so 65 + would be nice. Did I get it? I think so.
Reply 402
Hey everyone,

Hope you all do great on Core 1 and get what you're hoping for :smile:

Core 2 is next Wednesday... There's a thread located here -

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4077807

Good Luck for your other exams :biggrin:
Mark Scheme with some workings etc.
I'm sorry, all I have are the answers here right now.

Ok thank you, no problem :smile:
Question to whoever can answer:

On the integration question where it asked to find area of shaded region, I integrated the equation for line PQ, but instead of using the x-values for P and Q as my limits, i realised too late that I used the x-values for P and R. Had i used the right values my answer would've been correct, but unfortunately it was not. Do you think i would get any methods marks or have i lost all three there?

I'm just seriously kicking myself for making such a silly error that has probably cost me 3 marks.
Does anyone remember how many marks each question was worth?
Reply 407
For question 8 I'm pretty sure they gave DY over dx as 54 + 27x - 6x^2 then you had to find the second derivative and from that prove x = -1.5 had a minimum. This right?
You have to work out the length of AC and the distance is the radius. I got it wrong too but my maths teacher explained it to me
Mark Scheme with some workings etc.

On question 6c there was no need to label the x intercepts as the question stated only the y intercept.
Original post by SM-
For question 8 I'm pretty sure they gave DY over dx as 54 + 27x - 6x^2 then you had to find the second derivative and from that prove x = -1.5 had a minimum. This right?

That's what I remember as well, and it worked out to zero when i substituted -1.5 into it, HOWEVER, i used the cancelled down version where it was 18+9x-2x^2, so for the second derivative i used 9-4x instead of 27-12x, therefore my answer was 15 instead of 45, which was still more than zero so i showed it was a minimum, but do you think I'd have lost marks there?
Anyone know where I can find really hard core 2 questions?
I think I sadly lost around 8 marks, as I ****ed up, despite the fact I have been getting 100ums all year which makes me really upset :frown: I think I can still get an A tho on this exam of the grade blindsides at low, what do u think?
Original post by tajtsracc
Haha I did the exact same thing - even drew a diagram. But C being the midpoint does seem to be the correct method though sadly, but it'd be great if we still got 2/2 marks for it anyway.

Did the same,we pretty much did it like a vectors question which is C4 :P
Where can I get any resources for Core 2 other than aqa website?
Original post by medicine71012
Where can I get any resources for Core 2 other than aqa website?

mrbartonmaths.com
Reply 416
Original post by BlackthornRose
That's what I remember as well, and it worked out to zero when i substituted -1.5 into it, HOWEVER, i used the cancelled down version where it was 18+9x-2x^2, so for the second derivative i used 9-4x instead of 27-12x, therefore my answer was 15 instead of 45, which was still more than zero so i showed it was a minimum, but do you think I'd have lost marks there?

I'd think you lose 1 but not too sure too be honest
Original post by desperial
what did you lot get for the integration "shaded area" bit? I got something stupid low. like 1.75 I think it was

I got 11.25 :/
Original post by SM-
I'd think you lose 1 but not too sure too be honest

Ok thanks. I guess one isn't too bad. Hopefully.
What are Solomon past papers?

Quick Reply