The Student Room Group

What laws do the Brexiteers want to change?

Michael Gove says:

“Our membership of the EU prevents us being able to change huge swaths of law…”

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e7b2d4d4-daea-11e5-98fd-06d75973fe09.html#axzz493llcXli

We keep hearing these kinds of things from the LEAVE campaign, and how they will rid us of red tape - but no one has anything concrete to say about it.

I know Gove and other Tories want to get rid of the Human Rights Act, and take the UK out of the European Convention on Human Rights - but that isn't a treaty of the EU anyway.

While I understand that the EU generates legislation and red tape, I'm not really sure I believe that a standalone UK government with no EU oversight would be any better. Government likes rules and regulation - left to their own devices they seem to generate enough. Look at the measures announced in the Queen's speech:

Digital Economy Bill
Modern Transport Bill
Neighbourhood Planning and Infrastructure Bill
Local Growth and Jobs Bill
Better Markets Bill
Bus Services Bill
NHS (Overseas Visitors Chanrging) Bill
Pensions Bill
Children and Social Work Bill
Education for All Bill
Higher Education and Research Bill
Prison and Courts Reform Bill
National Citizen Service Bill
Lifetime Savings Bill
Finance Bill
Small Charitable Donations Bill
Bill of Rights
Counter-extremism and Safeguarding Bill
Criminal Finances Bill
Cultural Property (Armed Conflicts) Bill
Wales Bill

None of these are imposed by the EU.

Scroll to see replies

Too many bills...
Reply 3
Original post by MrControversial

So, er, what laws are they?
Original post by typonaut
Michael Gove says:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e7b2d4d4-daea-11e5-98fd-06d75973fe09.html#axzz493llcXli

We keep hearing these kinds of things from the LEAVE campaign, and how they will rid us of red tape - but no one has anything concrete to say about it.

I know Gove and other Tories want to get rid of the Human Rights Act, and take the UK out of the European Convention on Human Rights - but that isn't a treaty of the EU anyway.

While I understand that the EU generates legislation and red tape, I'm not really sure I believe that a standalone UK government with no EU oversight would be any better. Government likes rules and regulation - left to their own devices they seem to generate enough. Look at the measures announced in the Queen's speech:

Digital Economy Bill
Modern Transport Bill
Better Markets Bill
Bus Services Bill
Pensions Bill
Education for All Bill
Lifetime Savings Bill
Finance Bill
Bill of Rights
Criminal Finances Bill
Wales Bill

I like the way you have listed them all, one per line, to make the psychological impact greater. Perhaps a more truthful method would have been to compare the number of Laws passed by each.
Also, you haven't addressed what may be a simple answer over here: perhaps we have more say democratically over the Laws passed in Britain then the ones passed in the EU?
So, er, what laws are they?

The right to have our own country. We can't fix our country when it isn't our country.
(edited 7 years ago)
The right to have our own country. We can't fix our country when it isn't our country.

But... it is our own country?

You couldn't even name a single law that we don't get to control, you've just resorted to spouting the usual catchy phrases that don't actually mean anything.
By my understanding, they really want this "British Bill of Rights" which would entrench our already human rights from the HRA (1998). They don't like the fact that Parliament has in effect delegated some power to the EU in this respect. However I don't personally see what difference it's really going to make - seems pretty drastic.

Of course the other reason is the immigration bandwagon. Everyone banging on about how our country is being 'invaded' by migrants and acting like the nose of Cornwall is about to dip underwater. They want to leave the EU so that they have more control over who can travel into the UK. However my opinion on this is that we are NOT in a population crisis - despite what Nigel Farage blows out of proportion. Lebanon, yes. In terms of the refugee crisis? Absolutely not. We have barely taken any refugees and our current standing is that we will accept 20,000 over the course of five years - Germany did more than that in a week!

Also, let's not forget that our culture IS multicultural and the diversity we have brings fabulous variety. We are currently in an NHS crisis with not enough doctors etc, immigration massively helps with this and more! They bring business and jobs despite what the media tells you about the handful of odd jobbies!

Oh and another reason I don't understand why we would leave the EU.... Aren't importing and exporting costs way cheaper within the network of the EU? We are going to lose money from immigration jobs, have a blow to the purse for forking out on importing/exporting costs.... And who's going to pay for it? Not the rich that's for sure.
Michael Gove says:

Digital Economy Bill
Modern Transport Bill
Better Markets Bill
Bus Services Bill
Pensions Bill
Education for All Bill
Lifetime Savings Bill
Finance Bill
Bill of Rights
Criminal Finances Bill
Wales Bill

the bills are all needed what are eu bill like curved bananas are not saleable bananas and stuff like that mostly just rubbish that makes no sense to any normal person
Original post by jamesthehustler
the bills are all needed what are eu bill like curved bananas are not saleable bananas and stuff like that mostly just rubbish that makes no sense to any normal person

I believe the curved banana law never really existed. At least not in the way ridiculed by the popular press (who have such a good track record for reporting facts)

But when you think about some of the EU regulation, it makes perfect sense. If you have a single economy, you have to have rules about what constitutes say chocolate. Otherwise you will get companies creating something cheap and nasty and passing it off as chocolate when it isn't. It is common sense. Leaving the EU won't change that sort of legislation and UK companies selling into the EU will still be bound by the EU courts, just as UK bankers appear to be bound by US courts.
Original post by ByEeek
I believe the curved banana law never really existed. At least not in the way ridiculed by the popular press (who have such a good track record for reporting facts)

But when you think about some of the EU regulation, it makes perfect sense. If you have a single economy, you have to have rules about what constitutes say chocolate. Otherwise you will get companies creating something cheap and nasty and passing it off as chocolate when it isn't. It is common sense. Leaving the EU won't change that sort of legislation and UK companies selling into the EU will still be bound by the EU courts, just as UK bankers appear to be bound by US courts.

well there a lot of stupid stuff the eu step up in their favour and our expensive and so we could save the economy before it's all gold bars and carbine rifles
Reply 11
Original post by EricPiphany
I like the way you have listed them all, one per line, to make the psychological impact greater. Perhaps a more truthful method would have been to compare the number of Laws passed by each.

I just made a list, everyone knows there are 21 bills, there was no intention of attempting to have a psychological impact in the list - just to make them easier to parse. In each of these bills there may be several different laws, or adjustment to laws, I haven't been through each. One part of the Finance Bill, for example, is the levy on sugary drinks.

Also, you haven't addressed what may be a simple answer over here: perhaps we have more say democratically over the Laws passed in Britain then the ones passed in the EU?

That's a valid point, but that's not the question I was asking - you could ask that question in a different thread. My point was, if the Brexiteers are saying that there is too much red tape, stifling business and innovation, coming from the EU, then which measures do they seek to remove upon Brexit?
well there a lot of stupid stuff the eu step up in their favour and our expensive and so we could save the economy before it's all gold bars and carbine rifles

But it isn't stupid stuff. If you want a common market, you have to have rules that ensure a level playing field. Of course, if we don't want to be part of the common market that is fine, but I reckon most British manufacturers export more goods than they sell in the UK.
Reply 13

I asked which laws Brexiteers would scrap if the UK votes LEAVE. You have provided links to a load of propaganda that does not address this point. I understand that this is a strategy by the LEAVE campaign, ie don't answer the question, but you won't score any points here using that method.
Reply 14
Original post by Louise12307
By my understanding, they really want this "British Bill of Rights" which would entrench our already human rights from the HRA (1998). They don't like the fact that Parliament has in effect delegated some power to the EU in this respect. However I don't personally see what difference it's really going to make - seems pretty drastic.

The HRA stems from the European Convention on Human Rights, it isn't EU legislation, it's a totally separate treaty obligation. Many states in Europe are signatories to the ECHR but not members of the EU. In fact I think I am correct in saying that the only European country that is not a member is Belorussia. Take a look at the map on this page for the obvious hole:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Council_of_Europe
Reply 15

This isn't really an argument that contains any rational points. If you have a specific law, derived from the EU, that you want to see repealed upon Brexit, then please list it. Then we can see the substance of the claim that the Brexiteers make.

Otherwise you are just using the Boris chorus: "all those Europeans are bananas". Like anyone with any sense thinks he is sane.
The HRA stems from the European Convention on Human Rights, it isn't EU legislation, it's a totally separate treaty obligation. Many states in Europe are signatories to the ECHR but not members of the EU. In fact I think I am correct in saying that the only European country that is not a member is Belorussia. Take a look at the map on this page for the obvious hole:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Council_of_Europe

Hi, yes I know that it isn't EU legislation. Which is what makes it absurd. But that is what Brexit/ UKIP people are arguing for!
The bent banana "laws" were invented by a certain Boris Johnston when he was a journalist.
he repeatedly made up stories of this nature, and was sacked from two national newspapers for making up untrue quotes
How about immigration and benefits entitlement of immigrants? The UK is legally required to allow free movement of EU nationals and offer the same benefits entitlement as UK citizens on most benefits (with a few exceptions requiring permanent resident status). Given the high net migration figure some people are concerned of the pressure on public services, resources and their effects on the labour market.

Not saying that I agree (I actually don't overall) but I think these two are pretty obvious examples.
Original post by ByEeek
But it isn't stupid stuff. If you want a common market, you have to have rules that ensure a level playing field. Of course, if we don't want to be part of the common market that is fine, but I reckon most British manufacturers export more goods than they sell in the UK.

maybe it the fact i have aspergers so have a far more rationalised complex mind and can see thing in the long term where the common market will still exist remain makes it the mercedes, versace and rolex will all just leave and not come back and we will do the same when we have rolls royces, mclarens, jaguars, minis, graffs
to be fair rolex was founded in london for christ sakes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending