The Student Room Group

AQA AS Psychology PSYA1/PSYA2 Revision Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

So... How did everyone find it!
Are you guys learning the biological and behavioural approach to depression?
It's not on the spec but in the aqa textbook.
Reply 182
Original post by Charliegriffin_
So... How did everyone find it!

It want that bad tbh, by the way I think for some studies I didn't put in the name of the researcher cuz I was afraid I was mixed up e.g. Instead of writing Ainsworth's strange situation I put researchers came up with the strange...
Do ou think I'll lose a lot of marks for that 😔

I got 4 exams next week so gonna try and get through the rest as fast as possible and do specimen papers for no.2😩
Good luck guys

Btw what did u guys write for the 8marker on asch jus wanna know
anyone else think it will be on the biological approach a 12 marker ?
Reply 184
Working towards paper 2 today.

Yes. Someone mentioned it on another thread - I'd put money on biological approach to treating OCD coming-up. Considering both specimen papers had a similar 12-mark question 11 with either 'cognitive and depression' and 'behavioural and phobia'.

Does anyone know where you can get some answers for the questions in the text-books? I've done both practice papers, which are a bit shoddy (two biological questions are ambiguous, for a start). Now need some more practice, though.
(edited 7 years ago)
No im sure you wont get marked down too much! As long as you showed you know your stuff!
Has anyone got any revision sources? Would be sooo greatful, thanks :smile:
Original post by Kefte
Working towards paper 2 today.

Yes. Someone mentioned it on another thread - I'd put money on biological approach to treating OCD coming-up. Considering both specimen papers had a similar 12-mark question 11 with either 'cognitive and depression' and 'behavioural and phobia'.

Does anyone know where you can get some answers for the questions in the text-books? I've done both practice papers, which are a bit shoddy (two biological questions are ambiguous, for a start). Now need some more practice, though.

Yeah I know what you mean about the specimen papers, it's annoying as well since the past papers are formatted differently so it's harder to find appropriate questions to do. What I would say is plan out potential 12 markers (for psychopathology and approaches) which will also help you practice the content. There are loads of questions out there for research methods as well if you wanted to practice that
Original post by yhyh
It want that bad tbh, by the way I think for some studies I didn't put in the name of the researcher cuz I was afraid I was mixed up e.g. Instead of writing Ainsworth's strange situation I put researchers came up with the strange...
Do ou think I'll lose a lot of marks for that 😔

I got 4 exams next week so gonna try and get through the rest as fast as possible and do specimen papers for no.2😩
Good luck guys

Btw what did u guys write for the 8marker on asch jus wanna know

Same I've got 4 as well😩
For the Asch question The 2 variables I wrote about was task difficulty and whether they were anonymous or not. 2 limitations: original study was an all male sample therefore not generalisable for women and that it lacked ecological validity
Original post by yellowcopter
Super quick run through of important studies that should be known for AQA Psychology AS Unit 1 (NEW SPEC ONLY)

SOCIAL INFLUENCE.png

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Woah! Do you have something like this for paper 2? Even though there's not really many studies
Reply 189
Original post by The Panic Queen
Yeah I know what you mean about the specimen papers, it's annoying as well since the past papers are formatted differently so it's harder to find appropriate questions to do. What I would say is plan out potential 12 markers (for psychopathology and approaches) which will also help you practice the content. There are loads of questions out there for research methods as well if you wanted to practice that

Thanks. I might just do some out of the text-book and have my tutor look over them too.
Original post by kaykaayy
Woah! Do you have something like this for paper 2? Even though there's not really many studies

Will create one for paper 2 too once I've done my revision for it! :smile:
Reply 191
Can anyone confirm that you need to know the 'sign test'?

My tutor has said we won't need to, thus he hasn't taught it to us. But, other places suggest I will and it is in the spec'.

Just to add: My tutor is a senior examiner, and implies insight beyond my own knowledge from AQA website about the spec', I have questioned him once on it already (earlier in the year).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rigby16
I predict:

8 marker on Milgram's Varitations (Proximity, Location and Uniform)
12 Marker on Multi Store Model OR Types of Long Term Memory
12 Marker on Privation OR the Strange Situation

thanks dude, ss, ltm and a portion of the msm was on there :smile:
(really helped me a lot)

do you have any predictions for the 2nd paper?
Original post by Kefte
Can anyone confirm that you need to know the 'sign test'?

My tutor has said we won't need to, thus he hasn't taught it to us. But, other places suggest I will and it is in the spec'.

Just to add: My tutor is a senior examiner, and implies insight beyond my own knowledge from AQA website about the spec', I have questioned him once on it already (earlier in the year).

our teacher taught us the sign test and said its possible that it could be on the test.

additionally, the sign test was on one of the specimen papers but it's still weird that your teacher hasn't taught you it
Reply 194
Original post by hehexd
our teacher taught us the sign test and said its possible that it could be on the test.

additionally, the sign test was on one of the specimen papers but it's still weird that your teacher hasn't taught you it

I haven't seen it on the specimen papers - which question?

We had a class this afternoon - again I asked. And he said he's been told AS students don't need to carry-out or know about statistical tests. So confused.

It's a very simple test though, and I have done statistical tests in other subjects, so statistical significance won't cause a problem whether it does or doesn't.
Original post by Kefte
I haven't seen it on the specimen papers - which question?

We had a class this afternoon - again I asked. And he said he's been told AS students don't need to carry-out or know about statistical tests. So confused.

It's a very simple test though, and I have done statistical tests in other subjects, so statistical significance won't cause a problem whether it does or doesn't.

specimen third set

Section C - Research methods
1.6 - "The psychologists conducting the training decided to use the sign test to see whether there was a significant difference in confidence in managing difficult classroom behvaiour before and after the course.

Give the calculated value of S in this study and explain how you arrived at this figure. (3 marks)

1.7 - Explain why statistical testing is used in psychological research . (2 marks)

if you want a picture of the table just lmk.
Original post by Rigby16
I predict:

8 marker on Milgram's Varitations (Proximity, Location and Uniform)
12 Marker on Multi Store Model OR Types of Long Term Memory
12 Marker on Privation OR the Strange Situation

Your predictions were great! Have you got any for paper 2???
Reply 197
Original post by hehexd
specimen third set

Section C - Research methods
1.6 - "The psychologists conducting the training decided to use the sign test to see whether there was a significant difference in confidence in managing difficult classroom behvaiour before and after the course.

Give the calculated value of S in this study and explain how you arrived at this figure. (3 marks)

1.7 - Explain why statistical testing is used in psychological research . (2 marks)

if you want a picture of the table just lmk.

I only have first and second set from AQA website? Where do you get a third set from - could you send me a link to a copy, by any chance?

Edit - From what I can see you need to have the ability to login to AQA to have them.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm flattered that i've been labelled as a psychic based on my predictions for paper 1 :biggrin:

The only thing i can predict on paper 2 is definitely learn the BIOLOGICAL APPROACH, both for the approaches section and for EXPLAINING OCD.

I say this because there has been a 12 marker on TREATING phobias and the learning approach (both behaviourist) and a 12 marker on TREATING DEPRESSION (Cognitive).

Therefore based on the fact that an approach and two treatments have been on the specimen, get learning the biological explanation for ocd! :smile:
Original post by Kefte
I only have first and second set from AQA website? Where do you get a third set from - could you send me a link to a copy, by any chance?

Edit - From what I can see you need to have the ability to login to AQA to have them.

The third set was given to me a few weeks a go as a mock test but i cant find it online anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending