The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Ask a Current Student Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orphan_black
Hi, when do offers for Accommodation usually come out? Will we get an email notification? I have an unconditional offer that I firmed on the 3rd of May if that helps!

Thanks

Hi,

The first batch will come out this month and the accommodation team will continue to allocate right up to September. With a UF offer you should be in one of the first batches so hopefully you won't need to wait much longer. You'll be sent an e-mail with all the relevant information once your room has been allocated :h:

Persephone
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Hi! I have a firm conditional offer for marketing and management in Newcastle, which i am really excited about! However my cousin, who chose the exact same course and firmed it as well, is worried about not meeting the requirements (35 points with a 5 in English and Maths in the IB Diploma). Since I´ve grown up with him it would obviously be a shame for him to miss out on this opportunity, so i was wondering how popular the course is and what his chances are of getting in :smile: I´ve heard that the IB Diploma is preferred by universities as well, would that make a difference? He expects to get a grade or two lower than his offer :frown: (34 points). Thank you for your help! :smile:
Reply 122
Hey! I've just completed a geography resit which i think went well, however yesterday i had a psychology resit and i feel like i did badly as I had really bad anxiety resulting in a mental block through out the exam which isn't good.. This means i'll have to try extra hard on unit2/3/4 to achieve my B grade. However, if i fail to achieve this and i end up not getting a place, would I be able to attend next year? I have my sights on Newcastle and I would be willing to do a Btec in a year so that i'd meet the requirements.. How would this work? Would i have to re apply and hope? Or is there a way of detering this year and swapping my place for next year?
Thank you in advance for your advice! (Hope i made sense! I'm also applying via Partners if that affects anything!!)
Original post by neutrogo
Hi! I have a firm conditional offer for marketing and management in Newcastle, which i am really excited about! However my cousin, who chose the exact same course and firmed it as well, is worried about not meeting the requirements (35 points with a 5 in English and Maths in the IB Diploma). Since I´ve grown up with him it would obviously be a shame for him to miss out on this opportunity, so i was wondering how popular the course is and what his chances are of getting in :smile: I´ve heard that the IB Diploma is preferred by universities as well, would that make a difference? He expects to get a grade or two lower than his offer :frown: (34 points). Thank you for your help! :smile:

Hi :smile:

If your cousin misses out on the conditions of his offer then his application would still be considered. After A Level results day in August the selector will reconsider all near-misses together (whether they took A Levels, IB, or any other qualification). Taking IB doesn't mean he's more or less likely to be accepted.

If your cousin has specific concerns and would like to contact the admissions team for the course directly let me know and I'll pass on the contact details :smile:

All the best,
Persephone
Reply 124
Hi,
Do you have a sample timetable for Biomedical Science?
Thank you!!
Original post by Olijm
Hey! I've just completed a geography resit which i think went well, however yesterday i had a psychology resit and i feel like i did badly as I had really bad anxiety resulting in a mental block through out the exam which isn't good.. This means i'll have to try extra hard on unit2/3/4 to achieve my B grade. However, if i fail to achieve this and i end up not getting a place, would I be able to attend next year? I have my sights on Newcastle and I would be willing to do a Btec in a year so that i'd meet the requirements.. How would this work? Would i have to re apply and hope? Or is there a way of detering this year and swapping my place for next year?
Thank you in advance for your advice! (Hope i made sense! I'm also applying via Partners if that affects anything!!)

Hi,

As your questions are quite specific it would probably be best for you to talk directly to the admissions officer :smile: Then she can look at your application and give you some advice. Please e-mail [email protected] and include your full name and UCAS ID and she'll do her best to help you out. I've already passed on your message above so she's expecting to hear from you!

All the best

Persephone
Reply 126
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi,

As your questions are quite specific it would probably be best for you to talk directly to the admissions officer :smile: Then she can look at your application and give you some advice. Please e-mail [email protected] and include your full name and UCAS ID and she'll do her best to help you out. I've already passed on your message above so she's expecting to hear from you!

All the best

Persephone

I've just emailed Julie! Thank you!!
Original post by newt1
Hi,
Do you have a sample timetable for Biomedical Science?
Thank you!!

Hi Newt,

There isn't a sample timetable for Biomed - I think it changes every week! So what I've done is gone into the Semester 1 timetable for Biomed and drawn up a rough schedule for you :smile: Hope it's useful!

Monday:
9 - 10 Lecture
10 - 11 Seminar or Lecture
11 - 12 Lecture or Labs
12 -1 Lunch
1 - 2 Lecture or Seminar
2 - 4 Labs

Tuesday:
10 - 12 Lectures or Labs
12 - 1 Lunch
1 - 2 Lecture
2 - 3 Seminar or Labs
3 - 5 Labs (not every week)

Wednesday:
9 - 12 Lectures or seminars
12 - 1 Lunch or info sessions / group mentoring
1 - 2 Lecture or lunch
Wednesday afternoons are always free

Thursday:
9 - 11 Lectures or seminars
11 - 12 Lecture
12 - 2 Lunch
2 - 3 Lecture
3 - 5 Lectures or labs

Friday:
9 - 10 Seminar or labs
10 - 12 Lectures or labs
12 - 1 Lunch
1 - 2 Lecture or seminar
2 - 4 Seminars or labs

Persephone
Reply 128
Sure thing :smile:

Again, this is from 2014 grads. 6 months after graduating 100% were in work, with an average salary of £27,583 (typical range £25,000 to £30,000).

And here were some of their roles:

Application Support Consultant for Hewlett Packard
Business Analyst at Dunbia Group
Entry Developer for Sage (UK) Limited
Graduate Java Developer at William Hill
Graduate Software Engineer for BT
Graduate Systems Engineer for RM Education Plc
IT Services Developer at Hewlett Packard
Software Developer at Bank of America
Software Developer for IBM UK Ltd
Technology Analyst at Goldman Sachs Group

Persephone

Hi.
What about M101 LLB?
Thanks.
Original post by 28657
Hi.
What about M101 LLB?
Thanks.

Your wish is my command :smile:

This data comes from responses from 4,108 UK & EU 2014 grads.

6 months after graduating, 88% of them were in work or further study.

Those who were working earned £25,012 average salary (typical range £19,000 - 30,000). No data on job titles or specific employers, but 82% were in professional or managerial jobs.

Hope that was useful!

Persephone
Reply 130
Hi,
could you possibly tell me roughly how many psychology applicants there are and how many get in?
Thanks
Charlotte
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,
I was wondering what the term dates are like at Newcastle and how a year is set out? I've heard that at some universities the first semester is more intensive and the second half of the year is more study leave based. Thank you!
Original post by student0771
Hi,
I was wondering what the term dates are like at Newcastle and how a year is set out? I've heard that at some universities the first semester is more intensive and the second half of the year is more study leave based. Thank you!

Hi :smile:

Term and semester dates are on our website here.

Generally the amount of credits is split equally across Semester 1 and 2 so that you have a balanced workload. In my second year I had an unbalanced credit split due to the options I chose, so my first semester was quite intense but my second semester had more free time.

There might be some courses that are "study leave" based in the second half of the year, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. What subject/course did you hear that about? I can double check with the relevant department if you'd like :smile:

Hope that helps,

Persephone
Original post by cxxk
Hi,
could you possibly tell me roughly how many psychology applicants there are and how many get in?
Thanks
Charlotte

Hi Charlotte :smile:

There are 150 places for Psychology BSc and we get about 1200 applications each year.

All the best,

Persephone
Reply 134
Hello,

I was wondering how many contact hours there would be in a combined honours degree in geography and a modern language (french or Spanish) and is it possible to see a timetable. Also with modern languages is it taught mainly in seminars ?

Thanks
Reply 135
Hi,

The first batch will come out this month and the accommodation team will continue to allocate right up to September. With a UF offer you should be in one of the first batches so hopefully you won't need to wait much longer. You'll be sent an e-mail with all the relevant information once your room has been allocated :h:

Persephone

Is accommodation first come first served?
Hi :smile: I have a few questions
- How many places are there for Modern Languages, Translating and Interpreting and how popular is it?
- Can I study 1 language at uni level and 1 at beginners level?
- How much of the course is translation and interpretation (I assume there are culture topics as well) ?
Original post by nadz97
Is accommodation first come first served?

Hey

No, accommodation at Newcastle is NOT allocated on a first come, first served basis. As long as you apply before the 30 June deadline (and fulfill the other relevant criteria) you will come under the New Students' Guarantee. Room allocation is done randomly to try and make it as fair as possible. There's information about the room allocation procedure here.

The Accommodation Service also help with room swaps so if you're really not happy with the room you're allocated it might be possible to switch with another student Once allocations start going out the Accommodation Service will have a Facebook page up to help connect people who want to swap.

All the best,

Persephone
Original post by IKEAPanda37
Hi :smile: I have a few questions
- How many places are there for Modern Languages, Translating and Interpreting and how popular is it?
- Can I study 1 language at uni level and 1 at beginners level?
- How much of the course is translation and interpretation (I assume there are culture topics as well) ?

Hi,

It's a pretty popular course, yeah :smile: There isn't a set number of places for the course, rather the School of Modern Languages has a target of 150 places across all of their degrees. This year they've had 1,029 applications.

For Modern Languages, Translating and Interpreting you can study one language at beginner's level, and one at post-A Level (either French, German or Spanish).

There's a breakdown of modules at each stage here and the full detailed degree regulations here. So you have 120 modules a year, and in your first year there are 40 credits of translation and interpreting, either 40 or 60 credits of a language, and then 40 or 20 credits of the optional modules that cover history, culture and so on :smile:

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Reply 139
Hi! I would like to know how many places there are for the MA in International Multimedia Journalism at Newcastle, and if the application deadline of 1 June 2016 and deposit deadline, means that the answers will be sent soon.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending