The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR Core 1 (not OCR MEI) May 2016 Answers

Scroll to see replies

thank you sir for the answers. For part 8i i think i did the wrong method to 'show that' however i still got the answer they were looking for. Will i drop marks on this?
Do you have any predictions for grade boundaries? Thank you
Reply 102
Original post by duncant

For the simultaneous equation, should it be x=3, y=5, and x=-3/5 and y=-29/5
I thought the simultaneous equations were x^2 + y^2 = 34
and 3x-y-4=0
Does anyone remember the question for 5ii ?
If for the last question i differentiaited a/x as just -a and continued the rest of the question and got an answer. How many marks out of the 8 can i expect ?
Reply 105
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 May 2016 Answers

1. (i) 2x292x^2-9 (2 marks)

(ii) -10 (2 marks)

2. 14+354-\frac{1}{4}+\frac{3\sqrt5}{4} (4 marks)

3. x=3x = -3 and y=5y = -5 or x=35x = \frac{3}{5} and y=295y = \frac{29}{5} (5 marks)

4. y=116y=\frac{1}{16} or y=81y=81 (5 marks)

5. (i) 262^{-6} (2 marks)

(ii) 21332^{\frac{13}{3}} (3 marks)

6. (i) 2(x3)2+22-2(x-3)^2 + 22 (4 marks)

(ii) (3, 22) (2 marks)

7. (i) Negative cubic with the x axis as a tangent at (0, 0) and crossing the x axis at (3, 0) (3 marks)

(ii) y=(x2)2(5x)y=(x-2)^2(5-x) (2 marks)

(iii) Stretch parallel to the y axis scale factor 0.5 (2 marks)

8. (i) Show ... (3 marks)

(ii) The gradient at A is 20 and as h approaches 0 the gradient of the line also becomes 20 (1 mark)

(iii) 2014\frac{201}{4} (3 marks)

9. k<2k<-2 or k>5k>5 (7 marks)

10. (i) Centre (4, 3) Radius 353\sqrt{5} (3 marks)

(ii) y=2x20y=2x-20 (6 marks)

(iii) y=2x+10y=2x+10 (3 marks)

(iv) 0<r<3550<r<3\sqrt{5}-5 (2 marks)

11. a=27a=27 (8 marks)

This was definitely the most difficult Core 1 ever. I'll be around to discuss questions later for a bit. Post in the thread, don't private message me as the system is running very slow.

how many marks for question 10ii and 10iii can i expect if i found the wrong gradient for the line from the centre of the circle to the point (-1/3) and then did the rest of the question right, and also used the gradient 3 for the next question? will I lose all the marks or still pick up method marks? If i will pick up method marks, out of the 9 for these two questions how many do you think I would get? Thank you
This is annoying but I drew the graph question wrong - I got a negative cubic with roots (0,0) and (-3,0) instead of (3,0)

How many marks would that be out of 3?
Original post by SGHD26716
I thought the simultaneous equations were x^2 + y^2 = 34
and 3x-y-4=0

It was 3x-y+4=0 so it is x=-3 y=-5 and x=3/5 y=29/5
Hey, I was wondering if you'll be posting a mark scheme for OCR MEI?
Thank you
Original post by Orlanda
Hey Mr M,

I drew the graph as a positive graph instead of negative but it passed through the correct points. How many marks do you think I would have lost?

Drop 1.
Original post by DaKoolguy
thank you sir for the answers. For part 8i i think i did the wrong method to 'show that' however i still got the answer they were looking for. Will i drop marks on this?

Any mathematically sound method that produces the right answer will be awarded full marks.
Original post by DaKoolguy

Any mathematically sound method that produces the correct answer will be awarded full marks.
Original post by Annonomous09
Do you have any predictions for grade boundaries? Thank you

Only that the paper was more difficult than last year so you can expect the boundaries to be a bit lower.
Original post by SGHD26716

No the solutions provided are correct.
Original post by Saching99
If for the last question i differentiaited a/x as just -a and continued the rest of the question and got an answer. How many marks out of the 8 can i expect ?

I'm really not sure where the marks will be awarded. You'll almost certainly get some credit.
Original post by daniiaxox
Hey, I was wondering if you'll be posting a mark scheme for OCR MEI?
Thank you

No - sorry.
Original post by amyevd
how many marks for question 10ii and 10iii can i expect if i found the wrong gradient for the line from the centre of the circle to the point (-1/3) and then did the rest of the question right, and also used the gradient 3 for the next question? will I lose all the marks or still pick up method marks? If i will pick up method marks, out of the 9 for these two questions how many do you think I would get? Thank you

Probably drop two marks in total if every other step is correct.
Original post by h8skoooooool
This is annoying but I drew the graph question wrong - I got a negative cubic with roots (0,0) and (-3,0) instead of (3,0)

How many marks would that be out of 3?

Probably only 1.
Reply 118
Hey Mr M, On question 10 I calculated the correct x value for A but then I accidently wrote the coordinates of A as (10,-2) instead of (10,0) due to rushing but did the correct method for the rest of the question. How many marks will I lose?
Thanks
Reply 119
Original post by Mr M
No the solutions provided are correct.

Sorry about that, I read the wrong equations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending