The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL: GCSE AQA Chemistry - C1- Higher- 19th May 2016 - AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by strongcurrent
whoops i did that wrong

Lol I did too, didn't realise it said it was a Neon atom so I assumed 9 electrons was right...
Reply 161
Original post by Ishan_2000
Black Substance - I put smoke particulates and soot released by impurities in the hydrocarbon fuel.

Everyone is saying that it should be Carbon due to incomplete combustion?

Both credit-worthy?

I put carbon from incomplete combustion but the soot seems similar so it should be right.
Black - incomplete combusion (you could've wrote carbon zoot or carbon monoxide)

Copper oxide
Thermal decomposition
Reply 163
ez pz inb4 a D grade.
Original post by zeldor711
I did it in pencil at first but changed it to pen after worrying that pencil wouldn't scan in properly. It should be fine though as long as you used an HB pencil

Something like:
2Fe2O3+ 3C -> 4Fe + 2CO2

The thought only dawned on me after they said 'pens down' even though I finished with a lot of time to spare :frown: I hope it gets scanned through because it does in maths :redface:

Original post by Obnox
I put that you should put a lid on the beaker to stop energy getting lost to the surroundings :s-smilie:

Sounds good! :smile:
I found the exam hard man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 166
Original post by surina16
Loved it :biggrin:
Apart from the question about black stuff on the beaker?

I thinks it's soot, which is formed from patriculates. Particulates are mostly carbon and you get them from burning fossile fuels
for the iron/steel one:
it is alloyed with steel, so layers don't slide over each other, makes it less brittle, more durable and more hard, and also less resistant to corrosion

is any of that right?
What about that question with the potassium carbonate and why it didn't turn the limewater cloudy ? I put that the potassium carbonate wasn't thermally decomposed because it didn't reach its bp and so carbon dioxide wasn't produced making the lime water cloudy . We know that there was no thermal decomposition because no mass was lost . Do u think I'd get any marks for that ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone else find that exam poet ridiculously short ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bakebe
I thinks it's soot, which is formed from patriculates. Particulates are mostly carbon and you get them from burning fossile fuels

ah okay, so if I said "burnt carbon particulates from incomplete combustion" is that the same thing?
Original post by adzkii786
black - incomplete combusion (you could've wrote carbon zoot or carbon monoxide)

copper oxide
thermal decomposition

yes i said copper oxide someone said it was carbon on here, i was right and yes i wrote thermal decopoistion and said endothermic in brackets just to be secure
Reply 173
Original post by zeldor711
I did it in pencil at first but changed it to pen after worrying that pencil wouldn't scan in properly. It should be fine though as long as you used an HB pencil

Something like:
2Fe2O3+ 3C -> 4Fe + 2CO2

Rip i put 2Fe2 not 4Fe
Guys please can someone answer this !!!
Okay so for the last 5 mark question instead of hardening I explained emulsifiers (I know I'm stupid for saying that)
I said it is used as it makes food have a better texture and so on, do u think I would get some marks ?
I also explained how double bonds turn into single bonds
**** man I wrote carbon dioxide for it turning black ugsjshh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 176
Original post by thecomputernerd
for the iron/steel one:
it is alloyed with steel, so layers don't slide over each other, makes it less brittle, more durable and more hard, and also less resistant to corrosion

is any of that right?

You should get 2 marks for that, i put the it is more flexible, durable and harder than aluminium.
Original post by ty19999
Okay so for the last 5 mark question instead of hardening I explained emulsifiers (I know I'm stupid for saying that)
I said it is used as it makes food have a better texture and so on, do u think I would get some marks ?

HAHA, i wrote about protons and electrons for the 2nd first question so im more fed than u
I put carbon as well...
Reply 179
Original post by ty19999

I dont think you would get any marks for emulsifiers as the question asked why we hardened oils and how it was done. However, you should get some marks for explaining that the C=C bond is broken into a long chain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending