The Student Room Group

Does God exist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noodle0
Yes. God exists. :angel:

How do you know?
Reply 41
Ah, that's where the debate gets interesting! I'm the exact same as you, I'm really open minded. Lots of my friends are atheists and we've never ever begrudged each other over this, the debates are just really fascinating. Who knows!

I believe in the supernatural and demons and therefore hell, there is countless evidence for supernatural occurrences, I've even experienced some myself. So, I believe there is a contrasting force and heaven and therefore a creator, a God.

Again just what I think!

What about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by Jay_Gatsby123
Okay yeah thank you for the advice :smile:

You are welcome :smile: May Allah/God guide you. Ameen

Well I have watched the whole video
He asked where did we come from and what was the cause?
-In terms of Universe we came from the big bang which we still and 100% certain on as it's still being researched.
-The cause is really still unknown but they're working on it.
He said people can't disprove god.
-You can't disprove that there is a weightless invisible candy unicorn sitting on your shoulders, doesn't mean we should accept it to be true.
-And since he is the one making the clame the burden of proof is on him. It's like in court, the procicutor is claiming that the defendant is guilty and the procecutor has to prove it.
He said where did God come from? To which he answered God had no need for a beginning.
-Where is the proof for that? Why doesn't God have need for a beginning?
He said that we're in a world were nothing harms us.
-Which is exactly why we have hospitals right? Why we have diseases right?
He said that nothing rivals the Quran but doesn't explain what he means.
-Does he mean in enjoyablility of reading, because I would argue Lord of the Rings is more enjoyable.
-Does he mean in terms of knowledge? Well plenty of science books carry more knowledge.
-Does he mean in spirituallity? If so then the bible and other religious books could be agrued do rival it.
He said that there is a prophesy in the Quran.
-He never explains the significance of it really. He just kind of leaves it alone.
He says how people who don't believe in Allah will be punished.
-That seems kind of cruel cinsidering the only reason people would believe in Allah is from a book and the word of other people. So it's like me saying there is a new God so worship it with the only evidence being a book that I told you he wrote and my friends backing up the story

I'm sorry this video doesn't convince me
(edited 7 years ago)
Well as far as science is concerned it's still being figured out. But like other things that were thought to be caused by God because we didn't know how they worked were later proved to not need a God to happen or work. So the Big Bang is still being resurched to find out what happened
But I could raise the argument who created God?

Hi Jay. I'm impressed and for some people they can wrestle for years with the question of God. Regarding that last point, here's a post which covers that shortly.

http://edwardfeser.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/so-you-think-you-understand.html?m=1

Also, feel free to ask for more material. But I came across this interview the other day and it's an argument for the existence of God based on scientific studies. The person being interviewed is a physicist. Considering your thoughts it may be good to let you listen to this as well (you have to download the interview)

http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=8109

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suggest you read 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins.
There will probably be a free PDF available somewhere online
Reply 46
evolution...

So you can't actually give one example!

You are obviously not a scientist. Let me explain, evolution is a theory that does not prove anything, that's why it is called a theory.
Original post by NJA

You are obviously not a scientist. Let me explain, evolution is a theory that does not prove anything, that's why it is called a theory.

You're confusing the word theory with 'hypothesis'.
A theory is something were we have so much evidence and reason for it that we're 99.99999% sure that is what happened. It is possible to be false but highly unlikely.
And yeah evolution completely contradicts the bible, you know Adam and Eve. Also for the time it takes for evolution to occur is way longer time period than the bible suggests the age of the earth is. What I mean in that evolution takes millions of years and the bible suggests the Universe is only 6,000 to 10,000 years old.
By the way I study Maths Chemistry and Physics at sixth form so I'm not a scientist but I have a decent background in it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NJA

Just like the theory of gravity.

"“But evolution is only a theory!”, which is true, it is a theory, it’s good that they say that, I think, it gives you hope, doesn’t it, that - that maybe they feel the same way about the theory of gravity and they might just float the **** away." - Tim Minchin

I gave a brief explanation of evolution on this post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4079139&page=8&p=64914555#post64914555 (#149 if that link doesn' work) but I'm happy to give more proof for evolution or evidence if you like. It's no longer possible for a rational, intelligent, knowledgeable person to not believe in evolution.
Hello
I'm not sure whether to believe it or not, all my friends and family are religious but with school and sciences telling me things that contradict the bible, I'm just not sure any-more.
What does everybody else think?

Focus not on your family, friends and strangers on the internet. Go into your heart, and ponder. Who is God for you, and what response might you like to make? Take the rest of your life for this question.
Original post by Davide_online
Focus not on your family, friends and strangers on the internet. Go into your heart, and ponder. Who is God for you, and what response might you like to make? Take the rest of your life for this question.

Yeah I like that, thank you :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by fatima1998
i dont wanna answer because then i get criticism from people because they cannot digest my opinion :colonhash:
making a decision by yourself is way better than asking us... because this thread will start a WW3 for sure :unsure:

Happy Birthday :smile:

OP, God exists to those of faith. God does not exist for those who think.
No, belief in God is irrational.
Reply 53
Original post by TheBirder
Just like the theory of gravity.

"“But evolution is only a theory!”, which is true, it is a theory, it’s good that they say that, I think, it gives you hope, doesn’t it, that - that maybe they feel the same way about the theory of gravity and they might just float the **** away." - Tim Minchin

I gave a brief explanation of evolution on this post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4079139&page=8&p=64914555#post64914555 (#149 if that link doesn' work) but I'm happy to give more proof for evolution or evidence if you like. It's no longer possible for a rational, intelligent, knowledgeable person to not believe in evolution.

Evolution and belief in God don't contradict one another. And btw i really need to work today so let's not discuss this too much this time
Reply 54
Original post by NJA

Can I ask what you think a theory is?
Reply 55
Original post by JM999
Evolution and belief in God don't contradict one another. And btw i really need to work today so let's not discuss this too much this time

Quite right, hence why some Christians are happy to accept it.

However, it does contradict pretty much a large part of the Bible.
Reply 56
Original post by inhuman
Quite right, hence why some Christians are happy to accept it.

However, it does contradict pretty much a large part of the Bible.

Such as...
Original post by JM999
Such as...

Adam and Eve...
And the fact that evolution takes millions of years but the bible suggests the earth and Universe is only 6,000 to 10,000 years old.
Original post by inhuman
Happy Birthday :smile:

OP, God exists to those of faith. God does not exist for those who think.

Ooh thanks :h:
Reply 59
Original post by JM999
Such as...

Adam and Steve? Noah's Ark. The whole created in 6 days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending