The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL: GCSE AQA Chemistry - C1- Higher- 19th May 2016 - AM

Scroll to see replies

What were the two marks to the reactivity question?

"Suggest why....referring to reactivity series...some metal carbonates decompose more easily than others..." (I think that was the question)
Original post by mayjunemayhem
Ah well. It's done now let's just hope the grade boundaries aren't sky high. It will probably be similar to last years

Posted from TSR Mobile

last year it was 50 was A* so I think it will be sky high.
Yeah i put that too but i think it is supposed to be 4Fe instead of 2Fe2. Maybe they will allow that, if not we will definately get atleast one mark for Fe
Reply 203
Original post by mayjunemayhem
Ah well. It's done now let's just hope the grade boundaries aren't sky high. It will probably be similar to last years

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know last years grade boundaries?
Original post by Obnox
You should get 2 marks for that, i put the it is more flexible, durable and harder than aluminium.

sweet, thanks :smile:
Reply 205
Original post by Ishan_2000

"Suggest why....referring to reactivity series...some metal carbonates decompose more easily than others..." (I think that was the question)

I said that the metals below carbon in the reactivity series were more reactive?? That was one of the hard questions...
Original post by Ishan_2000

These were regarding potassium (something). K is above carbon and therefore does not react at all. More heat was needed for a reaction. cant remember my last point.
I wrote by increasing the temperature of the water u could put less water ?
Can someone please answer ?
Reply 208
Original post by ty19999

I dont thinks thats right :frown:
Original post by ty19999

I wrote increasing the surface area of the flame to distribute an even amount of heat to the beaker.

Again, surprised if I get 1 mark for that. Pissed off.
what was that question when using ethene to make ethanol?

I put fractional distillation and said crude oil of ethene is pumped in vaoprises and condenses at the boiling point of ethanol.

Also for the one about sugar,
Was that to do with fementation? Because thats all i put xD

and the the one which said give a advantage of using crude oil or something like that
Original post by redsoules
These were regarding potassium (something). K is above carbon and therefore does not react at all. More heat was needed for a reaction. cant remember my last point.

But, magnesium is above Carbon, and did react! Yes, that was the question prior to the reactivity question, about potassium carbonate not reacting, and not enough heat/energy.
Reply 212
Original post by Cheesemasters
what was that question when using ethene to make ethanol?

I put fractional distillation and said crude oil of ethene is pumped in vaoprises and condenses at the boiling point of ethanol.

Also for the one about sugar,
Was that to do with fementation? Because thats all i put xD

and the the one which said give a advantage of using crude oil or something like that

Using ethene to make ethanol i talked about the direct hydration of ethene?
Original post by Obnox
I said that the metals below carbon in the reactivity series were more reactive?? That was one of the hard questions...

Copper is below Carbon, so is less reactive than all the other ones. So, can't be that. I wasn't sure either.
Reply 214
Original post by Obnox

Hydration of ethene with steam, in the presence of a catalyst.
Original post by Obnox

Water boils at a higher temp than Ethanol.
Ethanol evaporates and condenses in the condensor column.
After condensing the drop/drippings/droplets fall into a separate beaker to form pure ethanol.

(this is a shorter and concise answer than I wrote)

EDIT: Fractional distillation will most likely get you no marks. This is not the same process as normal distillation.
Reply 216
Is there a full unofficial mark scheme like there was for biology? If not does anybody know enough to make one?
I put "the higher position of an element in the reactivity series, the faster it will react" will i get 1 mark
also i put the potassium didnt go cloudy "temperature wasnt high engough so the potassium didnt decompose to form co2 and thus the limewater didnt go cloudy" (atleast 2 out of 3 marks?
Reply 218
Original post by Ads.m
Hydration of ethene with steam, in the presence of a catalyst.

Thats what i put :biggrin:
Did you all get the percentage (working out 1 gram of fuel used) question? Literally spent 10 mins on it lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending