The Student Room Group

Cie igcse english literature (0486)

Do you have any predictions of the poems coming up? I do the deep and dangerous poem. My teacher said that the Winter 2015 poems probably won't come up, so should i just focus on the other poems?

Also, what drama text and prose do you study? I do spies and all my sons. Any tips?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

I do spies and merchant of Venice, what poems came up in winter 2015 please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I'm doing spies and all my sons as well. How are you feeling about them?

Are poems deep and dangerous the ones that include "one flesh" and "laundrette" and "the gift"? If so, I'm doing them as well...

Good luck 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes those are part of the poems deep and dangerous :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ndk123
Do you have any predictions of the poems coming up? I do the deep and dangerous poem. My teacher said that the Winter 2015 poems probably won't come up, so should i just focus on the other poems?

Also, what drama text and prose do you study? I do spies and all my sons. Any tips?

Thanks.

Which poems were winter 2015?
Does anyone know where I can easily find more past papers? The CIE website is confusing me! :smile:
Anyone else getting stressed about English? I seriously am...

How do you revise all the poems? I've made notes, but I don't really know what to do with them...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
oh, for papers, this website is the best: https://papacambridge.com/igcse-subjects/

Oh yeah, **** English Lit, most useless subject mankind has ever created.

It seems tho, that Cambridge hasn't released the Winter 2015 papers yet.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by metellaest
Anyone else getting stressed about English? I seriously am...

How do you revise all the poems? I've made notes, but I don't really know what to do with them...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I'm definitely stressing. For poetry I've practiced doing essay plans for each so if a similar question comes up I'll hopefully have an idea of what to do.
Original post by B1uescorpion
Yep I'm definitely stressing. For poetry I've practiced doing essay plans for each so if a similar question comes up I'll hopefully have an idea of what to do.

That's a good idea. I've got five done, but there's a hideous amount of poems :frown:

how many sides do you normally write in an exam?
Does anyone know what the usual grade boundaries are?
On some of my essays I've been getting 25/25 but I usually only get about 23/25 or 22/25 and I've been struggling a bit with the drama text and only get 18 - 20 /25. I really want to get an A* but I'm not sure if an average of about 20/25 for each of the four questions is good enough?

To revise I've just been making notes on the poems and doing loads of practice essays, probably about 15 - 20 by now and I write almost exactly 4 sides each time. My teacher also wrote over 100 practice questions and I've been doing some essay plans for them
Hey :smile:

A top band mark is 23/25 + but I don't think that necessarily equates to getting an A*. Our teacher has always said that the examiners will mark more harshly than her, but that the boundaries are lower as a result. I'd say that 20/25 as an average is on the boundary of A/A*? I know it's easier said than done, but really practice your drama to get that up. Which play are you doing?

I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
Original post by TheBirder
Does anyone know what the usual grade boundaries are?
On some of my essays I've been getting 25/25 but I usually only get about 23/25 or 22/25 and I've been struggling a bit with the drama text and only get 18 - 20 /25. I really want to get an A* but I'm not sure if an average of about 20/25 for each of the four questions is good enough?

To revise I've just been making notes on the poems and doing loads of practice essays, probably about 15 - 20 by now and I write almost exactly 4 sides each time. My teacher also wrote over 100 practice questions and I've been doing some essay plans for them

It depends on what format you're doing. Our school has coursework, poetry and prose and drama- the boundaries are usually 70/100 for an A* meaning if you did well in coursework you only need around 17/18 on each of the three papers.
Original post by metellaest
That's a good idea. I've got five done, but there's a hideous amount of poems :frown:

how many sides do you normally write in an exam?

I normally write three sides, getting around 11 words on a line.
(edited 7 years ago)
It depends on what format you're doing. Our school has coursework, poetry and prose and drama- the boundaries are usually 70/100 for an A* meaning if you did well in coursework you only need around 17/18 on each of the three papers.

I'm doing Poetry and Prose, Drama (open text), and Unseen - so no coursework.
Original post by TheBirder
I'm doing Poetry and Prose, Drama (open text), and Unseen - so no coursework.

You would need over 75 to be safe with an A*- which is around 18 or 19 on each of your four sections. The recent A* boundaries have been low 70s. (This is of course assuming the papers won't be much harder or easier than previous years.)
(edited 7 years ago)
You would need over 75 to be safe with an A*- which is around 18 or 19 on each of your four sections. The recent A* boundaries have been low 70s.

Thanks. As long as I don't seriously mess anything up I should be fine then.
Reply 17
Original post by Lunabasil
I do spies and merchant of Venice, what poems came up in winter 2015 please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

in W15 11- I wish I could rem and Football After school
in W15 12- In our tenth year and one flesh
in W15 13- To Margueritte and People etc
in the feb/march one- Poem for my sister and Marriage of true minds

So, I guess the Summer 2015 poems(which are the rest of the poems not listed) are most likely to come up. xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
does anyone have stuff for spies?
for poetry, I've been doing essay plans for all the poems. Now, i'm gonna write up the ones that are probably coming up. I haven't done anything for Spies yet, what should I do?

Quick Reply

Latest