The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL: GCSE AQA Chemistry - C1- Higher- 19th May 2016 - AM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Obnox
No, you have to say colourless. :frown:

ah i was gonna change it but i didn't stupid mistake thanks!
Original post by Obnox
I said less of it was used up in the reaction

I remember this question . The table held 2 values that were perfect for getting the marks. One was the 0.81 value and the other was the last value in the table (can't remember now).
Reply 242
Original post by redsoules
I remember this question . The table held 2 values that were perfect for getting the marks. One was the 0.81 value and the other was the last value in the table (can't remember now).

The other column was how much energy was released and it was the highest for the one used in the question, I used both of those points so I should get 2 marks. :smile:
Original post by Obnox
The other column was how much energy was released and it was the highest for the one used in the question, I used both of those points so I should get 2 marks. :smile:

Sounds about right. Can't remember what the 0.81 value was. That was in the first column so I think it was amount used or something which is good because there is less to use = more energy. Means a bigger turnover (didn't right that though).
Reply 244
That paper was really easy.. Made up for the difficulties within the bio paper. But now I'm scared the grade boundaries are gnna be 90/60 for an A* now :frown:
------
Easy exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 246
Sounds about right. Can't remember what the 0.81 value was. That was in the first column so I think it was amount used or something which is good because there is less to use = more energy. Means a bigger turnover (didn't right that though).

The first column was about how much of the substance was used to produce x amount of energy in KJ. 0.81 was the lowest for the substance and it gave out the most energy.
I wasnt sure if i should put that it was the cleanest hydrocarbon as it produced the least amount of smoke??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 247
Original post by lunaticash19995
I did it too!:biggrin:

i put a temperature probe to detect changes in temperature. woudl i still get a mark for that?
Original post by Bakebe
Rip i put 2Fe2 not 4Fe

Haha not a diatonic molecule
Original post by JT423
That paper was really easy.. Made up for the difficulties within the bio paper. But now I'm scared the grade boundaries are gnna be 90/60 for an A* now :frown:

Highest the chemistry grade boundaries have ever been is 50/60 for A*. Probably within 1 mark of that
Sorry I doubt it. It usually asks specifically for "colorless"

Colourless*
What will grade boundary for an A be?
colourless

Original post by zeldor711
Colourless*

I get spellcheck on that. Must be using american spellcheck or something. my bad

Really? A quick google search of distillation and the first thing that appears is the distillation of ethanol and water?

I agree with that. I am saying you were wrong for suggesting someone would get NO marks for saying "fractional distillation" when it is the correct method that is used. Indeed you would have to say "fractional distillation" with other boards (e.g. Edexcel I-GCSE).
Original post by DrPeter
Really? A quick google search of distillation and the first thing that appears is the distillation of ethanol and water?

I agree with that. I am saying you were wrong for suggesting someone would get NO marks for saying "fractional distillation" when it is the correct method that is used. Indeed you would have to say "fractional distillation" with other boards (e.g. Edexcel I-GCSE).

Oh I see. Only reason I said it is because the question literally stated "distillation" and had no mention or implication of mentioning fractional distillation. If people get the marks for it then thats (not good for me) good.
Out of curiosity how did everyone do the hydrocarbon 1.2-1.0g question? I took 1.2g as 120% and worked out 20% of the joules and took it away. I ended up with 19. something so it's wrong but it seems strange that it was so close...hm
Original post by strongcurrent
I put carbon too!

Did anyone else get 20.3 for the work out from 1g question?

yep that's what I got

Posted from TSR Mobile
For that question where it asks to give 2 reasons why hexane is the best fuel from Table 2, I wrote that it gives out the most energy which is correct according to the mark scheme but for the second point I wrote that the table shows it has the shortest hydrocarbon chains which means its the most flammable. Would that give me two marks?
Reply 258
Original post by Chloegriffiths23
Out of curiosity how did everyone do the hydrocarbon 1.2-1.0g question? I took 1.2g as 120% and worked out 20% of the joules and took it away. I ended up with 19. something so it's wrong but it seems strange that it was so close...hm

1.2g needed 24.46kj (I think)
So 1g= 24.46/1.2=20.3

Oh I see. Only reason I said it is because the question literally stated "distillation" and had no mention or implication of mentioning fractional distillation. If people get the marks for it then thats (not good for me) good.

Never mind, hopefully everything else went well. Good luck if you are sitting Units 2 and 3 this year !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending