The Student Room Group

Thank god that chemistry exam was easy

Scroll to see replies

What mark do guys think you'll get? According to the unofficial mark scheme, I've got around 58/60
I'm 100% sure I got 60. What a joke of a paper.
Original post by Redcoats
What mark do guys think you'll get? According to the unofficial mark scheme, I've got around 58/60

What would be REALLY helpful, is it someone could just remember and label like this:

etc

with the marks that question offered. Then I may be able to roughly calculate it. I just can't remember what each question was worth and estimating without that leave me in a mess.
Original post by redsoules
What would be REALLY helpful, is it someone could just remember and label like this:

etc

with the marks that question offered. Then I may be able to roughly calculate it. I just can't remember what each question was worth and estimating without that leave me in a mess.

Here's a rough version
Jamie Vardy seriously?
Original post by Redcoats
Here's a rough version

Digital thermometer, more precise and not subject to human error
what was this question again?

Carbon particles produced( particulates)Insufficient oxygen or incomplete combustion(2)

is this the one that most people have put "carbon" the reason it was black? I did this, probably wrong no marks.

Tick box: copper oxide(1)

Thought this was Copper? I'm sure it stated when copper reacts with [something] and this was a reduction (gets rid of oxygen) which made the copper pure? therefore tickbox is surely "copper" not "copper oxide"

Advantages of hydrogen;

Mostly used data from the table given. Little more was that gases were easier to condense and store - the opposite to what that guy wrote So yeah I guess I've got 1 wrong point in there at least. I HOPE I get 2/6 marks for this at least.

Reactivity question:

I put basically that elements above Carbon are unreactive and require a higher temp. Elements below hydrogen react together or something can't quite remember. This MIGHT get me 2 points not sure.

Question 4:
Conditions for cracking: high temperatures and a hot catalyst(2)

Got that nearly word for word.

Fermentation question: sugar is dissolved and yeast is added to make ethanol(2)

Yeast and COOL temperatures. Is what I put.

Ethanol question: ethene is reacted with steam at high temperatures and catalyst(2)

Can't remember this part.

Advantages and disadvantages of crude oil vs plants: Crude oil is a continuous process so faster, crude oil is more widely available, crude oil more reliable and things are set up for crude oil fractions

Non renewable, co2( global warming), SO2

Mostly the same here.

Question 5
metal ores are ores which contain enough of the metal to be worthwhile extracting( 1 mark)

Metals ores are ores which contain enough of the metal to be economically viable. (These can turn a profit) <- what I wrote in full.

It is converted to steel because cast iron is brittle or to make it strongerSteel has more uses
Corrosion resistant
( 2 marks)

Misread the question. Or didn't understand it fully. Definitely got this wrong.

Got a few of the last ones (on the very back page) wrong or not naming nickel catalyst and hydrogen and 60oC. I went into emulsifiers.

All in all, I would predict :

Lenient marking (hopeful score) = 40-45

Harsh marking = 30-35

Very harsh marking = 25-30.

Lets hope I get the former.... for my sake and sanity.
Did anyone get for balancing equations 2Fe2O3+ 3C = 2fe2+ 3CO2
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Frankie___
Did anyone get for balancing equations 2FeO3+ 3C= 2fe2+ 3CO2?

Others did. It's not correct though unfortunately. The 2Fe2 signifies a covalent bond (the lower 2 on the right of Fe) and covalent bonds are not comprised of metals (non-metals only). So it really should be 4Fe
Reply 29
Original post by loshaw20
56 is incredibly high it never gets higher than about 52

Posted from TSR Mobile

i thought the highest its been for an A* so far was last year's 50? (correct me if im wrong) im hoping they wont go any higher than that:s-smilie:
Reply 30
Others did. It's not correct though unfortunately. The 2Fe2 signifies a covalent bond (the lower 2 on the right of Fe) and covalent bonds are not comprised of metals (non-metals only). So it really should be 4Fe

how many marks was this question out of? i put 2Fe2 aswell and im hoping ill get atleast some of the marks
Original post by lou2471
how many marks was this question out of? i put 2Fe2 aswell and im hoping ill get atleast some of the marks

Yeah, the 2Fe2 is incorrect so you've lost a mark (possibly both) for this. If you got the correct carbon atoms (3C) then you MIGHT get the one mark. I really wouldn't like to call it.
Reply 32
Yeah, the 2Fe2 is incorrect so you've lost a mark (possibly both) for this. If you got the correct carbon atoms (3C) then you MIGHT get the one mark. I really wouldn't like to call it.

okay thank you:smile:
[QUOTE="redsoules;64951555"]Others did. It's not correct though unfortunately. The 2Fe2 signifies a covalent bond (the lower 2 on the right of Fe) and covalent bonds are not comprised of metals (non-metals only). So it really should be 4Fe[/QUOTE what if you put Fe4
[QUOTE="Frankie___;64951927"]
Others did. It's not correct though unfortunately. The 2Fe2 signifies a covalent bond (the lower 2 on the right of Fe) and covalent bonds are not comprised of metals (non-metals only). So it really should be 4Fe[/QUOTE what if you put Fe4

I don't think you can. Reason is diatomic molecules have some sort of problem with this.

I also think it is proper to put the coefficient before the Fe rather than after. So maybe it's just a form issue but 2Fe2 is definitely wrong.
Reply 35
Does anyone have the unofficial mark scheme
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Realistically a C will be 38, a B 44, an A 51 and an A* most likely 56.

Last year I sat Unit 1 and it was 48 - 50 for an A* which is already high compared to previous years.

56 is the highest A* boundary I've ever seen! Good luck for your remaining exams!
Original post by lou2471
i thought the highest its been for an A* so far was last year's 50? (correct me if im wrong) im hoping they wont go any higher than that:s-smilie:

yeh i ment to say like it would never get higher than 52 cos ur right it never got higher than 50
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Realistically a C will be 38, a B 44, an A 51 and an A* most likely 56.

38 for a c??? jesus christ it wasnt EVEN easy let alone easy, last years exam was 2 times easier than todays one and those grade bouandries were like 31 for a B and 41 for a A
Original post by surina16
I'm worried about the grade boundaries :redface:
Can't find one person who found it hard...
Probably going to be in the 50s for an A*

It will not be any higher than 52 for an A*

Quick Reply

Latest