The Student Room Group

Investment banking

i was wondering if i had a good chance of getting into investment banking with a 2:1 from university college London in economics, or do i have to do an accounting and finance degree?
Original post by uchihaitachi0023
i was wondering if i had a good chance of getting into investment banking with a 2:1 from university college London in economics, or do i have to do an accounting and finance degree?

I've moved this to the Investment banking and consultancy forum - hopefully someone in here will answer your question - have a look around the stickied and busy threads to find useful information about IB careers.,
yea you'd have a god chance, get an internship whilst you're there, you could literally study geography if you wanted
Hi, i love maths and physics, I'm most definitely going to study one of them at university, or maths and physics as a degree, [..]my passion.

What happened for your passionate love for maths and physics in the last 2 weeks?! :lol:

Econ UCL is ideal, though maths and physics are equally great choices too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Degree doesn't matter for Investment Banking

What matters is whether you get an Intern or not

Spoiler

Original post by BizzStrut
What happened for your passionate love for maths and physics in the last 2 weeks?! :lol:

Econ UCL is ideal, though maths and physics are equally great choices too.

im torn between doing what i want at uni, or doing a degree that i know will lead to jobs with money.
im torn between doing what i want at uni, or doing a degree that i know will lead to jobs with money.

Do what you want. Degrees don't lead to jobs for the most part (bar obviously Med, Engineering, Architecture etc), so you're better off doing a subject you'll both enjoy and excel at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths and physics lead to money just as easily.

Economics -> Money is a common misconception and probably why it's so over-subscribed.

3 years studying economics when you don't love it will be REALLY tough - you're unlikely to meet your full potential
Original post by BizzStrut
Maths and physics lead to money just as easily.

Economics -> Money is a common misconception and probably why it's so over-subscribed.

Yup. My mate is at Essex university atm studying Economics, and somehow he is very certain he will be making millions after he graduates because he does Economics.
It seems there are alot of economics students out there from not so great universities graduating, without having done anything during their 3 years and have this expectation that they are gonna be the new Jordon Belfort lol
Original post by Daniel9998
Yup. My mate is at Essex university atm studying Economics, and somehow he is very certain he will be making millions after he graduates because he does Economics.
It seems there are alot of economics students out there from not so great universities graduating, without having done anything during their 3 years and have this expectation that they are gonna be the new Jordon Belfort lol

It sucks because this means 1) I have stupidly high competition with people who aren't interested in the subject 2) there's a perception (that's right for the majority) that in wanting to study economics I just see it as a ticket to money. It gets worse when asked what I want to do afterwards and the answer is 'banking' :colondollar:

Ah well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending