The Student Room Group

Wjec c2 may 2016

Thought of creating a thread for the exam.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saiko291099
Thought of creating a thread for the exam.

Hi! I moved this to the Maths Exam forum for you - you're more likely to get a good answer here :h:
Reply 2
I'm really hoping that it's going a pretty nice exam like c1
I have a feeling its gonna be harder because C1 was easier than normal
Ehhh went okay. Not as hard as I thought it would be but there were still some tough questions in there.

I definitely messed up finding the equation of C2, with P and Q. Got the coordinates fine but wasn't sure what I was doing to find the radius of B. I ended up with some stupid decimal as the radius for B
I found it super tough.. Bye bye medicine..not even at St Georges.
I guess I'll work at MacDonald's when im older..

What does a common chord mean anyways?
And what was the t11 + t12?
Does anyone know the minimum distance from the origin?

Sigh I must be pretty stupid
That exam was so much harder than normal. I couldn't work out the equation of the second circle, and the last question I have no idea if I got right as everybody else I have talked to got different answers? Did anybody else get 5.0???
I got 19.667 :P
Original post by Marcuschho
I found it super tough.. Bye bye medicine..not even at St Georges.
I guess I'll work at MacDonald's when im older..

What does a common chord mean anyways?
And what was the t11 + t12?
Does anyone know the minimum distance from the origin?

Sigh I must be pretty stupid

if t12 + 13 = 50

then t11 + t14 must also equal 50. Its what I got anyway. It was only one mark anyway so I guessed you wouldn't need to do a calculation. For the 2nd part of that I did a simultaneous equation and got something like 600 laps.

The minimum distance from the origin, I worked out the radius of the circle and then took that away from the length of line from the circle to the origin.

Common chord question I blanked on if I'm honest. Don't remember seeing a question like that in any of the papers I've done. I found P+Q and did length AB - AP or something like that to find the radius of B. I don't think I got it right as I got a massive decimal
Found it super tough , I didn't have a clue how to do the circle equation , I got points P and Q I think. Couldn't do the last part of the log question either and blanked on the triangle one even though pretty sure that's an easy one
Reply 11
I think that c2 went better than c1..
Did anyone else get d=4/Z for the log question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i think the distance between the centre of the circle and P OR Q is the radius.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Swj12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i got a similar one!
z=4/d
The last question, I got 6.7 cm.

Original post by Swj12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes d= 4/Z
For the equation of the second circle, I got (x-6)^2+(x-7)^=20 using the coordinates of the centre and then subbing in the x and y values of P and Q to get the 20. Have no idea if it's right but it's all I could think of doing.
Does anyone know if there are any unofficial mark schemes yet?
Reply 17
Common chord was confusing. But fairly certain it means that P and Q lie on the second circle, allowing you to work out the equation of the second circle as you have a line intersecting it, the centre, and two points. Circle 1 intersects circle 2 at P and Q. It's difficult to picture with the way the question was phrased but that's the only way you could get a solution from it
I got it = 5 also :tongue:
Original post by bradley_246
I got it = 5 also :tongue:

That's so reassuring to hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending