The Student Room Group

What laws do the Brexiteers want to change?

Scroll to see replies

Red tape bonfire.
Reply 21
Original post by Louise12307
Hi, yes I know that it isn't EU legislation. Which is what makes it absurd. But that is what Brexit/ UKIP people are arguing for!

Ok, well I think we have to try to educate them a little.
Reply 22
Original post by CherishFreedom
How about immigration and benefits entitlement of immigrants?

I think you are slightly missing my point, probably because I was not clear enough. Upon Brexit some elements of law will come to an end - let's pretend that we know the outcome, and the UK is not part of any free movement of people regime, or any other deal with the EU that we don't have with every other country in the world. I'm not asking what do people want to change when they vote to LEAVE.

What I'm asking is, having left, what legislation is Michael Gove, and others, referring to when they say the EU generates red tape that they want to get rid of?

Are they going to roll back the laws from the working time directive, for example (that says that you get at least four week's annual holiday and work a maximum of 48 hours a week)?
Original post by typonaut
I asked which laws Brexiteers would scrap if the UK votes LEAVE. You have provided links to a load of propaganda that does not address this point. I understand that this is a strategy by the LEAVE campaign, ie don't answer the question, but you won't score any points here using that method.

Because from what I've seen most people aren't voting to leave because of the economic benefits or red tape. They are voting to leave because of immigration policies that are extreme that they begin to resemble the colonial atrocities that belong in the previous century. They are also voting to leave to uphold the principle of sovereignty. Those are the two primary issues for the leave supporters.

Also that is not propaganda. Propaganda consists of lies, misrepresentation, poor conclusions and so on. I've given you the raw data. I suggest you investigate it.

On the subject of Bills the EU is doing nothing to stop the deanonymisation of the internet, nothing to stop the surveillance bill, nothing to crack down on immoral business practices from several corporations such as Lenova, MicroSoft, Google, etc. Even if we do rely on the EU for that, what happens when the EU starts to pursue corporate interests over the interests of the people?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by otester
Red tape bonfire.

Great, tell us what you want to burn. This is the crux of the matter - you want to blame the EU for these things, tell us what they are and convince us that having left the EU British politicians will actually repeal these laws/regulations.

Otherwise it's just another Boris strawman argument with no substance.
Reply 25
Original post by MrControversial
Because from what I've seen most people aren't voting to leave because of the economic benefits or red tape. They are voting to leave because of immigration…

if you want to start another thread about immigration then please do so. In this thread I'm trying to find out what are these laws that people want to repeal - that they claim they have lost sovereignty over.

On the subject of Bills the EU is doing nothing to stop the deanonymisation of the internet, nothing to stop the surveillance bill, nothing to crack down on immoral business practices from several corporations such as Lenova, MicroSoft, Google, etc. Even if we do rely on the EU for that, what happens when the EU starts to pursue corporate interests over the interests of the people?

Actually that's 100% wrong. The EU is the only entity in Europe that has the clout to deal with these things. It was the EU that brought in the cookie notification law. It is the EU that has taken action against Microsoft and Google to curb their power.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2009/jan/16/microsoft-microsoft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Corp_v_Commission
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21499190
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/16/ec_mulls_3bn_google_fine/
if you want to start another thread about immigration then please do so. In this thread I'm trying to find out what are these laws that people want to repeal - that they claim they have lost sovereignty over.

Actually that's 100% wrong. The EU is the only entity in Europe that has the clout to deal with these things. It was the EU that brought in the cookie notification law. It is the EU that has taken action against Microsoft and Google to curb their power.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2009/jan/16/microsoft-microsoft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Corp_v_Commission
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21499190
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/16/ec_mulls_3bn_google_fine/

I am actually qualfied enough to act as an expert witness and the EU cookie law was half baked. They have recently made a fuss about facebook while ignoring other real problems. They do not know about technology and are either attacking it superstitiously or milking it with fines to line their own coffers. They made one or two efforts in principle but now are completely out of their depth.
Original post by otester
Red tape bonfire.

Yeah right! The UK loves red tape. Just look at the recent ruling that could see any takeaway shop with tables having to offer toilet facilities to those who choose to snack in.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/greggs-toilet-ruling-could-close-your-favourite-takeaways-a7037166.html
Original post by jamesthehustler
maybe it the fact i have aspergers so have a far more rationalised complex mind and can see thing in the long term where the common market will still exist remain makes it the mercedes, versace and rolex will all just leave and not come back and we will do the same when we have rolls royces, mclarens, jaguars, minis, graffs
to be fair rolex was founded in london for christ sakes

When your argument consists of name dropping premium impractical vanity brands that most people do not have access to nor would benefit from beyond the ego boost then on the basis of this evidence alone I can not hold you to be as rational as you claim. I also have Asperger's. I hope you learnt something here. Do not mistake imagination for truth or understanding. You will need much more data before you can attain true understanding or make useful predictions. Don't think that because you have gone from level 1 to 10 that you have cracked it. Level 100 minds still struggle to understand the world and most people don't reach that level.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Yeah right! The UK loves red tape. Just look at the recent ruling that could see any takeaway shop with tables having to offer toilet facilities to those who choose to snack in.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/greggs-toilet-ruling-could-close-your-favourite-takeaways-a7037166.html

At the moment Blue Labour is leading the Tory party, once they are disposed of post Brexit we will have a chance at real reforms.
Great, tell us what you want to burn. This is the crux of the matter - you want to blame the EU for these things, tell us what they are and convince us that having left the EU British politicians will actually repeal these laws/regulations.

Otherwise it's just another Boris strawman argument with no substance.

I'm just saying what I want changed, I don't have faith in the Tory government fixing anything.
Original post by MrControversial
When your argument consists of name dropping premium impractical vanity brands that most people do not have access to nor would benefit from beyond the ego boost then on the basis of this evidence alone I can not hold you to be as rational as you claim. I also have Asperger's. I hope you learnt something here. Do not mistake imagination for truth or understanding. You will need much more data before you can attain true understanding or make useful predictions. Don't think that because you have gone from level 1 to 10 that you have cracked it. Level 100 minds still struggle to understand the world and most people don't reach that level.

how close were you to the mensa entry line
Reply 32
The ones that says we may not negotiate our own trade deals and provide state aid for our own industries.
Original post by otester
At the moment Blue Labour is leading the Tory party, once they are disposed of post Brexit we will have a chance at real reforms.

Are you a politician? Certainly within my lifetime, politicians have been promising big change for years. It still hasn't come. At least, not the radical sort the likes of yourself are calling for. But then politicians on a grand scale aren't particularly powerful. Especially when compared to the media or big business.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamesthehustler
how close were you to the mensa entry line

I never applied and it isn't relevant here. I'm politely telling the kid that Asperger's does not come into it, if your world consists of nothing but pop brands then that betrays your youth. He needs to accumulate a lot more knowledge about the world.
Original post by ByEeek
Are you a politician? Certainly within my lifetime, politicians have been promising big change for years. It still hasn't come. At least, not the radical sort the likes of yourself are calling for. But then politicians on a grand scale aren't particularly powerful. Especially when compared to the media or big business.

EU membership has largely restricted what they can actually do.

If you want to bring back well paying jobs you're going to have to have a red tape bonfire, something you can't do under the EU.
Original post by JordanL_
But... it is our own country?

You couldn't even name a single law that we don't get to control, you've just resorted to spouting the usual catchy phrases that don't actually mean anything.

In literal terms you are right, but there are some cities and towns where eventually white English will be a minority, ultimatley meaning we are losing control of England as English people. Lets take a look at the great city of Birmingham in 2001 70% of people was white british (our people) and now it is around 57%.

For me it is not about the laws, its about getting immigration down and stop payments of £33 Million pounds to a load of bankers.
Original post by Trumpo Trumpu
In literal terms you are right, but there are some cities and towns where eventually white English will be a minority, ultimatley meaning we are losing control of England as English people. Lets take a look at the great city of Birmingham in 2001 70% of people was white british (our people) and now it is around 57%.

For me it is not about the laws, its about getting immigration down and stop payments of £33 Million pounds to a load of bankers.

Most of the non-white population in Birmingham are Asian. How exactly is leaving the European Union going to reduce immigration from Asia?

As for your second statement, what? Do we just call everyone we don't like 'bankers' now?
Reply 38
In terms of legislation, most EU regulation on products is a thing Leave voters want gone. There's simply not enough time in the world for me to list all the legislation, but it's there.

Another thing is that we, the UK, would stop getting sued by the political union we're in. Recently the EU prepared a lawsuit against the UK for charging foreign lorries an extra toll in order to pay for the upkeep of roads. If an MP attempts to provide redress of greivance in a matter of EU competence? That's a lawsuit.

Also stops other nations fishing our fishing stocks, allows us to increase our fish output without changing stress on fish stocks (we just fill the gap left that the EU took)
Original post by JordanL_
Most of the non-white population in Birmingham are Asian. How exactly is leaving the European Union going to reduce immigration from Asia?

As for your second statement, what? Do we just call everyone we don't like 'bankers' now?

The bureaucrats who run the EU and set it up are bankers, it benefits germany more than any other country (big on exports)

As for reducing immigration from Asia I recommend that we do not issue any or limited Visas for Asian people and not re-new expiring Visa's- we can control that. There is still a way Asians can get into Britain through the EU, lets say the Visa application is rejected- they can then still come to England VIA Germany, France or any other EU country, whats hard to grasp about that? all these so called "refugees" who have been accepted by Germany now have the unconditional right to come to the UK. Its not just immigration from Asia , in my area of Birmingham there has been a sharp influx of Polish people. Are you not concerned about current levels of immigration?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending