The Student Room Group

Do your exam invigilators play games during exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack_Miller
he just told us afterwards, he was known as a cool teacher so everyone found it funny. The teachers just used to talk loudly behind a piece of paper at the front and they thought nobody could hear them, they probably decided then

@ least he was a cool teacher, though it is a coincidence that ours seem to do what you mentioned as well about the piece of paper the front, especially the loud talking... :007:
Reply 21
LOOOOL my invigilator (aka my deputy head) was playing games and drinking tea. She didn't even properly invigilate she's nice as well. But my stupid English teacher decided to give us a look and was talking and she kept on standing near me.
Original post by Leviathan1741
It was a plain wall, so I have no idea what they were looking at! Also, at one point I noticed them just writing the number '1' (or something similar) over and over on a piece of paper. I don't know what that was about either :biggrin:

I'm thinking they may have been playing dots and boxes... or maybe practicing for another game... or something else :biggrin:
Original post by the bear
ginger bingo is an old favorite of invigilators :smile:

cool - I wonder if there is a set of instructions anywhere... :smile:
Original post by bizzy_penguin
I'm thinking they may have been playing dots and boxes... or maybe practicing for another game... or something else :biggrin:

Maybe! :tongue:
Original post by emmald583
Haven't seen any of those games, although one of the invigilators in my Chemistry GCSE paper today decided it was a good idea to start moving the stationery on my desk around...while I was working!

Apparently she couldn't see my candidate card properly - I think she was just bored!

on the link it says about a game called arty - farty? perhaps she was playing that? jeez poor you - how distracting that must have been! its bad enough when they stand by your desk for a unnecessary period of time

Arty-farty: Making figures out of Blu-tack or creating structures out of stationary, the more creative teachers make work for idle hands.
Original post by Rocco123
One of our teachers who used to invigilate said that before the exam, the invigilators would agree on an animal, and then they would go and stand by the pupil who looked most like that animal in their opinion! Makes me paranoid when any invigilator stands next to me in an exam!

did you ever find out which animal they chose? intrigued
I don't know whats its called but its the game where they sit down in a chair and stare into space.
Original post by Drewski
I've been an invigilator and, tbh, I was quite boring.

Our exam hall was big and echoey, my shoes had quite a hard sole. Consequently, me walking around made a racket. So out of deference to the students I didn't walk around much, just did a figure of 8 every half hour or so.

I did often count the number of lefties, just to see if it really is 1in7... rock and roll.

I am left handed. :frown: haha did you find out if the statistic was true or not?
on the link it says about a game called arty - farty? perhaps she was playing that? jeez poor you - how distracting that must have been! its bad enough when they stand by your desk for a unnecessary period of time

Arty-farty: Making figures out of Blu-tack or creating structures out of stationary, the more creative teachers make work for idle hands.

It was rather annoying! Perhaps she was trying to unleash a hidden creative streak -_-
Officially they are only allowed to play games with your mind.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Well, if an invigilator stands next to me for a bit too long this exam season, I'm going to poke them with my pen. :colonhash:

thats funny, but they always get their revenge by snatching the exam paper off you :frown::biggrin:
Original post by kb12345
LOOOOL my invigilator (aka my deputy head) was playing games and drinking tea. She didn't even properly invigilate she's nice as well. But my stupid English teacher decided to give us a look and was talking and she kept on standing near me.

well at least you know why she was standing there now :smile:or she may be being nice and just checking if you'd got the question right :smile:
Original post by Observatory
Officially they are only allowed to play games with your mind.

#sarcasm alert ^
unofficially we all know they are psychologically distracting us... :frown::biggrin:
Original post by Leviathan1741
It was a plain wall, so I have no idea what they were looking at! Also, at one point I noticed them just writing the number '1' (or something similar) over and over on a piece of paper. I don't know what that was about either :biggrin:

They need a ****ing iPhone!
My teacher said invigilators fart in the middle of the exam hall near the students, walk away, and then see the disgust on the candidate's faces, wondering who **** their pants.
I am left handed. :frown: haha did you find out if the statistic was true or not?

At GCSE level, nowhere near 1in7.
At A level, quite a bit above 1in7.

I didn't look into it enough to see if there was a distinct correlation...
Hello all. I've created this thread so you can have a little rant about your schools/college exam invigilators (not too many mean comments about them though!!) and find out if at your school / college your exam invigilators play games during exams? I personally find it really off putting!

If you don't know what I'm on about check out this and it will explain A LOT!

http://blog.tutorhub.com/2013/06/21/top-ten-bizarre-games-exam-invigilators-play/

I was going to list all the ones our 6th form invigilators play until I realized they play ALL OF THEM! However, ours play stand by me & paperboy (with a twist cos they always take forever to come to us).

I've seen our exam invigilators with little pieces of paper which I'm certain is for battleships because they ALL have one during the length of the exam and they're all moving around. And someone in my class has also said they play stand by me because one of the invigilators were standing by them for AGES staring @ them as were other ones standing by different students!!! This also happened to me so I kept frowning @ the one who also stood by me for ages once they'd walked away when I'd finished, since it was completely unnecessary & totally off putting! and when they collected the exam papers they usually snatch them away from us! typical. :frown: ok rant over :smile:

so do your exam invigilators play the above games during exams?

One of the ones from my school plays candy crush with the volume on.

So. Annoying.
Reply 38
I know that they stand next to the kids most likely to fail.

Another probable game: take as long as humanly possible when retrieving a student extra paper. Tip for exams (especially essay-based subjects when you're constrained for time) is to ask for the paper when you just start on the last page so you can keep writing whilst your hand is up.
I never pay enough attention to them to check whether they play games (though I think I will this year :tongue:) but I absolutely hate it when they 'whisper' to each other, or open a fizzy drink/eat something crunchy. Or when they look at the exam papers and make confused/disgusted faces. Or when they STARE and this always happens when I sit close to the front. Or when one of them is ill and spends the whole 2 hours coughing their lungs out.

Quick Reply

Latest