The Student Room Group

19th May 2016 - OCR 21st Century Science C1 C2 C3 Exam

Scroll to see replies

What did everyone do for the solution mining question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sarahhabibx
What did everyone do for the solution mining question?

The one about choosing the right order? Put something along the lines of water pumped in, salt dissolves, water forced out because of pressure, water evaporates (and then the answer given of salt crystals formed).
I didn't think it was too bad. 6 markers were alright :cool:
Original post by emmald583
@lalafirmstone Liked the crude oil 4 mark and drawing the molecules!

Didn't like the invigilator so much...

can someone make or put up an unofficial mark scheme please?
it will be much appreciated!
The one about choosing the right order? Put something along the lines of water pumped in, salt dissolves, water forced out because of pressure, water evaporates (and then the answer given of salt crystals formed).

I got the same options as you but I think I'll only get 2/3 marks because I think I put the salt dissolves in the third box... whoops. In exam situations I don't think straight lol but i'm still happy we got the same 4 choices
What did everyone say for the first 6 marker for c1?
How did it go today for everyone?
Original post by Ella_08
What did everyone say for the first 6 marker for c1?

i explained the effects of the pollutants carbon monoxide harms us directly poisonous gas removes oxygen from our blood and i compared the data in the table which one had more.
Original post by Ella_08
I got the same options as you but I think I'll only get 2/3 marks because I think I put the salt dissolves in the third box... whoops. In exam situations I don't think straight lol but i'm still happy we got the same 4 choices

With one in the wrong place you'll probably get 3 :smile:

For the first 6 marker, I talked about acid rain and nitrogen oxides being asthma triggers (that might not be right; I made it up trying to sound clever), and talked about the effects of carbon monoxide on red blood cells. Also talked about how carbon particulates can make buildings dirty and how acid rain can damage limestone structures for reasons as to why diesel cars might be banned.

I tried to include a bit about fuel efficiency in favour of the diesel, but ended up lecturing about CO2, so I doubt that will get me anything!
Original post by 11207ymir
i explained the effects of the pollutants carbon monoxide harms us directly poisonous gas removes oxygen from our blood and i compared the data in the table which one had more.

Omg yay! Well done I did exactly the same. I also talked about sulfur monoxide or nitrogen monoxie i cant remeber which one. And then like acid rain and making buildings dirty. I said they banned it because it causes risk to humans like respiratory problems
I compared to the two in the table, then said about diesel cars being banned like particulates make buildings look dirty and is a contributing factor to asthma and then how nitrogen monoxide can cause acid rain so erodes away at statues in the city
Original post by 11207ymir
can someone make or put up an unofficial mark scheme please?
it will be much appreciated!

If someone can remind me of the questions, then sure :smile:
With one in the wrong place you'll probably get 3 :smile:

For the first 6 marker, I talked about acid rain and nitrogen oxides being asthma triggers (that might not be right; I made it up trying to sound clever), and talked about the effects of carbon monoxide on red blood cells. Also talked about how carbon particulates can make buildings dirty and how acid rain can damage limestone structures for reasons as to why diesel cars might be banned.

I tried to include a bit about fuel efficiency in favour of the diesel, but ended up lecturing about CO2, so I doubt that will get me anything!

Maybe :smile: Wow that is actually incredible, it seems like our answers were identical!!! I talked about all the things u did but I also said it uses less fuel so less fossil fuels are burned which is better as it doesnt contribute as much to global warming (not sure if that's right). Then i just talked about building erosion, crops damage and fish dying for acid rain. I can't remember what else I said i literally wrote so much ahha. What did you say for the shoe one? (:
Original post by Ella_08
Maybe :smile: Wow that is actually incredible, it seems like our answers were identical!!! I talked about all the things u did but I also said it uses less fuel so less fossil fuels are burned which is better as it doesnt contribute as much to global warming (not sure if that's right). Then i just talked about building erosion, crops damage and fish dying for acid rain. I can't remember what else I said i literally wrote so much ahha. What did you say for the shoe one? (:

Said that less energy used to make materials and shoe in Eco trainer = less electricity created = less pollutant gases released, so overall it was more environmentally friendly. Waffled on like that for a few lines, then said that they needed to include product usage for the LCA to be complete.
Did everyone say Matt for the ruler 6 mark?
I really liked the 6 mark questions to be honest!
Original post by thatonepunkguy
I really liked the 6 mark questions to be honest!

Same here, I had visions of alkalis coming up so these were a relief (:
What did everyone get for the 2nd question when it says what compound it is for carbon atom and hydrogen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Said that less energy used to make materials and shoe in Eco trainer = less electricity created = less pollutant gases released, so overall it was more environmentally friendly. Waffled on like that for a few lines, then said that they needed to include product usage for the LCA to be complete.

Really good answer. I also said they need to look at transport. I said that the eco shoes were more biodegradable and were made from biofuels, again I just made this up and I'm not 100% sure that it will be in the mark scheme. I noted the obvious things too. Lol our invigilators always make me laugh
Original post by Usmaan345
What did everyone get for the 2nd question when it says what compound it is for carbon atom and hydrogen

Posted from TSR Mobile

hydrocarbon

Quick Reply