The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by economicss
Please could you post a pic or link to the distance from the focus and directrix formula, not sure I've come across it, thanks :smile:

There is this one.

Also this:

Focus: (a,0) (a, 0) , Directrix: x=a x = -a , General point: (at2,2at) (at^2, 2at)

Distance from general point to focus:

S2=(at2a)2+(2at)2=a2(t4+2t2+1)=a2(t2+1)    S=a(1+t2) S^2 = (at^2 - a)^2 + (2at)^2 = a^2 (t^4 + 2t^2 + 1) = a^2 (t^2 + 1) \implies S = a(1+t^2)

Distance from general point to directrix:

D=a+at2=a(1+t2) D = a + at^2 = a(1+t^2)

S=D \therefore S = D
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NotNotBatman
What about r then?

r is also positive it says
Original post by Pyslocke
r is also positive it says

oops, didn't read the question properly.
Original post by SLamb
For proof's by induction, when the question asks to prove that _____ is divisible by X, are we allowed to use the general rule that (M^n -1) is always divisible by (M-1)? I've done that in a couple of recent assessments and been marked correct but i thought I'd be better safe than sorry

You can factorise like this

anbn=(ab)(an1+an2b+...abn2+bn1) a^n - b^n = (a - b)( a^{n-1} + a^{n-2}b + ... ab^{n-2} + b^{n-1} )

There is also this one:

an+bn=(a+b)(an1an2b+...) a^n + b^n = (a + b)( a^{n-1} - a^{n-2}b + ... )
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 724
Original post by oinkk
Ah, that's quite handy. I'm guessing that would work for any angle of rotation.

Yup, if the angle is less than 180, you don't need to subtract, but if it's greater than 180 you will :smile:
Original post by Genius123456
Try this hard question and reply by sending the solution if you solve it. The hardest one you can get. I could not solve it
Thanks in advance

IMG_0371.jpg

There you go mate, i hope you can see what i wrote. By the way, which paper is that?
Reply 726
Original post by Louisb19
You can factorise like this

anbn=(ab)(an1+an2b+...+bn1) a^n - b^n = (a - b)( a^{n-1} + a^{n-2}b + ... + b^{n-1} )

Ahhhhhh, that explains it for me aha, thanks!
Original post by SLamb
Ahhhhhh, that explains it for me aha, thanks!

Its the method that I used for Jan 2014 IAL 10 ii).

Their +- way was cool too though.
Reply 729

how would i do part b
Original post by iMacJack
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463651006.567317.jpg

hey I can't seem to get this proof right, please give some assistance Zacken or anyone!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope this helps:

https://gyazo.com/2ee29fccfbcb4d0663d07939320ad106

You can do pretty much all of the "prove f(n) is divisible by x" questions like this, by getting expressions for f(k) and f(k+1), then getting an expression for f(k+1) in terms of f(k). Since you've already assumed f(k) is divisible by "x", the rest of the expression should just work itself out.
Reply 731
Guys, do the international papers include anything that the normal ones don't?
Original post by BRBBIT
Guys, do the international papers include anything that the normal ones don't?

Roots of polynomials with the alpha, beta stuff is in the international paper but isn't on the UK spec.
Please could anyone explain how to do question 9c on here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=72189&d=1244566570 as the mark scheme doesn't show a method, thanks :smile:
Original post by Chirstos Ioannou
IMG_0371.jpg

There you go mate, i hope you can see what i wrote. By the way, which paper is that?

Smart smart smart... Cheers for that.
Original post by Louisb19
There is this one.

Also this:

Focus: (a,0) (a, 0) , Directrix: x=a x = -a , General point: (at2,2at) (at^2, 2at)

Distance from general point to focus:

S2=(at2a)2+(2at)2=a2(t4+2t2+1)=a2(t2+1)    S=a(1+t2) S^2 = (at^2 - a)^2 + (2at)^2 = a^2 (t^4 + 2t^2 + 1) = a^2 (t^2 + 1) \implies S = a(1+t^2)

Distance from general point to directrix:

D=a+at2=a(1+t2) D = a + at^2 = a(1+t^2)

S=D \therefore S = D

Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 736
Original post by Yua

how would i do part b

Once you've worked out the angle in part a) (should be 225?) You can then do 360 / (225-180) = 8, so n=8
Has anyone got any hard(er than usual) FP1 questions/ papers? I have done all the papers including IAL and the textbook review exercises and am struggling to find revision material...
That question is from the old FP1 spec; it includes 'e', which is introduced in C3 whilst the new FP1 spec only assumes C1,C2 knowledge. You therefore don't need to be able to do it.

Please could anyone explain how to do question 9c on here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=72189&d=1244566570 as the mark scheme doesn't show a method, thanks :smile:
Reply 739

Would it not just be the answer you get for part b), multiplied by 60, and rounded to the nearest integer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending