The Student Room Group

2016 AQA GCSE Chemistry Unofficial mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="toms4242;64954109"]
Original post by Daniaaburass

Carbon monoxide would be incorrect as it is a gas, and therefore not visible on the bottom of the beaker. However if you have referred to incomplete/partial combustion in your explanation then you will probably get a mark.

Oh :frown:
Thank you
Original post by srmed
Was the two conditions for cracking: high temperature and hot catalyst

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would I get the marks for 60 degrees and nickel catalyst?

-doesn't matter that's hydrogenation
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 262
Original post by Rawfearplasma
For Q2 was the answer not just copper?

No, it was testing knowledge on the lime cycle but using a different metal. When calcium carbonate is thermally decomposed it forms calcium oxide and carbon dioxide so it's the same but with copper instead of calcium
In the first question it was: name the sub-atomic particles in 'X' (which only referred to the nucleus of the atom).
Therefore it would be proton (+1) and neutron (0).
Man. To be honest I underestimated both Biology and Chemistry unit 1 papers.
Luckily (I think ..) based on the unofficial mark scheme I got around 39-42 in biology, so let's just say I got an average of 40 marks.
However with chemistry?! I got around 32-36 marks, I did terribly bad, that's an average of 34 marks .. I'm predicted A for both sciences, and both my coursework are A*s. I wanna get As for both but I'd love an A*, I'm trying my hardest to get at least high As/ low A*s in both units 2&3.

Good luck everyone!
Reply 265
Original post by MollieT3
Would I get the marks for 60 degrees and nickel catalyst?

That's for hydrogenation of oils not cracking
What is an A* likely to be
Reply 267
Heyyy... Does anyone know what grade boundaries would be ?
And is it still possible to get an a* if I got a B for the Chem coursework ??
Well this was better that b1
Do they deduct marks for incorrect or irrelevant information? For example the last question I talked about the nickel catalyst at 60 degrees with hydrogen, but I also went off on a tangent about partially hydrogenated oils being unhealthy? In instances like these, would I get minus marks?
Original post by Ahahah191

last year it was 50, and i thought this paper was easier. however i do think it would be cruel for any higher than this, so i predict 50
Reply 271
for the 5 marker i did the explain bit only because i didnt read the question properly, could you have said partial hydrogenation and stuff and get marks? this mark sheme doesn't give alternatives. I didn't say how hydrogenation works but i mentioned loads of benefits, how many marks would i get?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ahahah191

Ngl I reckon it will be a 50/52+ for an a* maybe a 42+ for an a
Original post by Tevya19
Heyyy... Does anyone know what grade boundaries would be ?
And is it still possible to get an a* if I got a B for the Chem coursework ??

Hey,
I'm not an expert but I think you could get an A* if you get A*s for all your units, but really high though.
Good luck!
Original post by esmeeclaire
Do they deduct marks for incorrect or irrelevant information? For example the last question I talked about the nickel catalyst at 60 degrees with hydrogen, but I also went off on a tangent about partially hydrogenated oils being unhealthy? In instances like these, would I get minus marks?

You wouldnt get minus marks but it's asking for benefits of the hydrogenated oil and if you said it was unhealthy that is a disadvantage. If you stated the right conditions and reaction with hydrogen you will probably get 2 or 3 marks
Reply 275
Original post by abigail_lions
I can't remember being asked to draw the electronic structure on the first question help!!!

I accidentally skipped it out :frown:. I think it was only one mark though
Reply 276
For the question about making the experiment more accurate, would having the spirit burner in a container inside the conical flask so that the water was surrounding the spirit burner, reducing the amount of heat is lost to the surrounding award any marks at all?
In the textbook the example given is copper sulfide ? Im confused
who else found this hard?
For the advantage of ethene and steam can I say that it produces pure ethene so less is needed to be produced?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending