The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SLamb
Would it not just be the answer you get for part b), multiplied by 60, and rounded to the nearest integer?

Ah yes I see, thank you! :smile:
Reply 741
Original post by SLamb
Once you've worked out the angle in part a) (should be 225?) You can then do 360 / (225-180) = 8, so n=8

could you go into more detail
Original post by Genius123456
Try this hard question and reply by sending the solution if you solve it. The hardest one you can get. I could not solve it
Thanks in advance

Here is my version because everyone likes big, unnecessary numbers
Reply 743
Original post by economicss
Ah yes I see, thank you! :smile:

No problem :smile:
Original post by TheRandomGenius
That question is from the old FP1 spec; it includes 'e', which is introduced in C3 whilst the new FP1 spec only assumes C1,C2 knowledge. You therefore don't need to be able to do it.

Brilliant, thanks :smile:
Original post by SLamb
Once you've worked out the angle in part a) (should be 225?) You can then do 360 / (225-180) = 8, so n=8

How do we know to do (225-180) to work this out please? Thanks :smile:
Please could anyone explain how to do question 9c on here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=72189&d=1244566570 as the mark scheme doesn't show a method, thanks :smile:

Yeah, you get a result from b of 1.87. So just take the 0.87 and multiply it by 60 to find the minute value.

The answer comes to 1 hour and 52 minutes, I think?
Reply 747
Original post by Yua

Well, to get back to the original shape, the angle needs to be an integer factor of 360. Because the answer to part a) is 225, we can say that the change in angle to use is 45, seen as 180 is the shape mirrored (so 225-180=45)

Then we can divide by that, so 360/45=8. This means that you need to apply the matrix 8 times to get the shape back to its original position, hence n=8
Reply 748
Original post by Yua

Alternatively, you could find the lowest common multiple of 360 and 225, then divide that by 360 to get your answer:smile: I'd suggest that if the theta is greater than 180, use this method, and if it is less than 180, do 360/theta
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Yua

how would i do part b

How do we know to do (225-180) to work this out please? Thanks :smile:

if you transform something by the Identity matrix, the point maps onto itself. The rotation should thus be 360 degrees or any multiple of it, for A^n to be the identity matrix ( so if you transformed any point by rotation to any multiple of 360, it will map back onto itself)

A is a rotation of 135 degrees clockwise. A^2 would be a rotation of 270 degrees. Raise A to a power, n, such that it will be a rotation of a multiple of 360
(edited 7 years ago)
Is there an official ms for jan 16 IAL ??
Yeah but it doesn't include a method for that question.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQWFjRDFTbklXb00/view?pref=2&pli=1

Original post by AmarPatel98
Is there an official ms for jan 16 IAL ??
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah but it doesn't include a method for that question.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQWFjRDFTbklXb00/view?pref=2&pli=1

Thanks!
anybody got links to the fp1 papers

eg practice paper a,b,c? literally just caught a sniff of them and now can't find them
Has anyone got any hard(er than usual) FP1 questions/ papers? I have done all the papers including IAL and the textbook review exercises and am struggling to find revision material...

I'd recommend you try some series questions from MadasMaths - I'm pretty sure that a question from his exercises will come up as I saw a similar question in 2015 F1 IAL.
Only just scraped an A on last years paper, not a great morale boost :s-smilie:

I think I now remember why I struggled with it last year...
Original post by tazza ma razza

eg practice paper a,b,c? literally just caught a sniff of them and now can't find them

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=853553 :smile:
Wouldn't recommend doing these tbh; quite a few off-spec questions and the on-spec questions are very standard and not challenging at all. Would rather do the IAL/ Review exercises from the textbook.

Wouldn't recommend doing these tbh; quite a few off-spec questions and the on-spec questions are very standard and not challenging at all. Would rather do the IAL/ Review exercises from the textbook.

but they are updated for the 09 spec if you read the first post. I'll pick the hard qns only so the last 3 per paper

thanks mate (Y)

incidentally how long does it take you to do the paper? I normally finish in 45-50 mins... plenty of time for checking then lol
Reply 759
Original post by tazza ma razza

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/fp1-edexcel/

This is a pretty good site to find past papers, specimens, mocks etc for all modules :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending