The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tazza ma razza
but they are updated for the 09 spec if you read the first post. I'll pick the hard qns only so the last 3 per paper

thanks mate (Y)

incidentally how long does it take you to do the paper? I normally finish in 45-50 mins... plenty of time for checking then lol

Yeah about an hour usually, though a lot longer for the IAL papers! :smile:
Could anyone show how to do question 14 please http://crashmaths.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Coordinate-Systems-Worksheet.pdf really hard coordinate systems question, thanks! :smile:
Reply 762
Hopefully this exam doesn't go as bad as the C1 on wednesday.. Oh boy
I dont understand what to do when Sigma from r=0 to r=n. Can someone please explain to me how to do it I dont understand whats been said before. Its for the same question asked before :https://7cba9babeb0db0ff9468853e0b2d0a80708ec59c.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZGxseFBIQkphV0k/June%202013%20(R)%20MA%20-%20FP1%20Edexcel.pdf
Question 10.

Can anyone work it better and simpler for me pls.
Reply 765
Original post by Tom__
Hopefully this exam doesn't go as bad as the C1 on wednesday.. Oh boy

Me too xD the first half was okay, then the last few questions were quite difficult
Reply 766
Original post by economicss
Could anyone show how to do question 14 please http://crashmaths.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Coordinate-Systems-Worksheet.pdf really hard coordinate systems question, thanks! :smile:

That's more like an FP3 question.
Reply 767
Do you ever need to use polynomial division as I normally would solve cubics and quartics by inspection
Original post by cmrol
Do you ever need to use polynomial division as I normally would solve cubics and quartics by inspection

Not unless the question says to
Reply 769
Original post by xx_lofsuburbia
Not unless the question says to

I couldn't remember having seen an exam question that said you had to, have you seen one come up before
Original post by cmrol
I couldn't remember having seen an exam question that said you had to, have you seen one come up before

Not that I can think of. I alternate between the two
Original post by oinkk
That's more like an FP3 question.

Last part is from FP3 spec.
Reply 772
Original post by xx_lofsuburbia
Not that I can think of. I alternate between the two

Thank you, I will revise polynomial division just in case even though I am not a fan as inspection always seems so much easier and faster
Reply 773
Original post by cmrol

You don't have to. However, most people that are comfortable with using division to solve would use it. If you can easily solve using inspection, then use that. Long division is just an alternative route.
For proof by induction divisibility questions.... Not sure how to word it so I will give an example..
Prove that 3^(2n+3) + 3n +2 is divisible by 9 (probably not true)
Can you in your induction step go straight to :
f(k+1) - 9f(k) = blah blah
To cancel the 3^(2n+3) term or do you need to start with a coefficient of one?
Original post by cmrol
Thank you, I will revise polynomial division just in case even though I am not a fan as inspection always seems so much easier and faster

Compare coefficients if you want to. But whatever you're more comfortable with is better to use.
practise paper d qn 8 is hard af

any help?
Original post by Marxist
Last part is from FP3 spec.

Oh okay thanks, is part A something that could be on FP1? I can't seem to get the answer, could anyone explain it please? Thanks :smile:
Think you gotta prove for n=1 first and then assume for n=k and write both of those out for 2 marks before jumping to that step. Not many shortcuts in proof, I'm afraid!
Original post by cmrol

You can do both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending