The Student Room Group

Talent vs Hardwork(can hard work really over take talent?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by thefatone
I agree and that's the classic example and the result will be obvious but why do people tell me that hard work always will get you far in life and it always beats talent?

I'd guess most people who say that hard work will always get you far in life are people who have worked hard and it has gotten them far in life, and due to that they don't see why it should be different for anyone else. Or even people who haven't worked particularly hard but feel like they have because they have had success.
Reply 21
There's only so hard you can work xD
right then :smile:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I'd guess most people who say that hard work will always get you far in life are people who have worked hard and it has gotten them far in life, and due to that they don't see why it should be different for anyone else. Or even people who haven't worked particularly hard but feel like they have because they have had success.

They assume something which is wrong.
Which is like you stated the fact they've worked hard and it has ALWAYS gotten them somewhere, they've never work hard and had no results from it....
Reply 22
From what I remember of you in the physics forums, you're not that bad at physics.

Personally, I think talent is rather nebulous - it's almost certainly impossible to measure "natural talent" as so many things contribute to your experience and confidence in different areas. Child prodigies are usually pushed into doing an extraordinary amount of pracice in their area - natural talent is only a factor at best.

Yes, some people are probably more naturally talented than others. It's not clear how big of an impact that makes. It is clear that hard work makes a pretty big impact (particularly if it's targetted correctly, thus muddying the waters even more). In fact, I'd go so far as to say having a natural work ethic is the most valuable.
Reply 23
There's only so hard you can work xD
right then :smile:

They assume something which is wrong.
Which is like you stated the fact they've worked hard and it has ALWAYS gotten them somewhere, they've never work hard and had no results from it....

This is a fair point. I've always had enough (what felt like) raw intelligence to ******** my way through most lessons without trying too hard. And I understand that there's a large number of people who don't do so well who probably couldn't suddenly get very high marks through "hard work". It's just not in the cards within the timeframe.

However, I do hold that what's perceived as natural talent is probably mostly envirnonmental. For instance, my parents used to do extra maths/english with me and my sister a few times a week back in maybe reception to Year 3. And we were always encouraged to read a lot (we'd read through the school library with the "colour codes", then just read novels for fun. I'd usually read books straight after my older sister finished them too, which meant I read e.g. Lord of the Rings at the end of Year 3). I think a lot of that background contributed much more than innate intelligence.
Reply 24
getting results in life is

20% natural ability/talent
80%hard work
Reply 25
Original post by lerjj
This is a fair point. I've always had enough (what felt like) raw intelligence to ******** my way through most lessons without trying too hard. And I understand that there's a large number of people who don't do so well who probably couldn't suddenly get very high marks through "hard work". It's just not in the cards within the timeframe.

However, I do hold that what's perceived as natural talent is probably mostly envirnonmental. For instance, my parents used to do extra maths/english with me and my sister a few times a week back in maybe reception to Year 3. And we were always encouraged to read a lot (we'd read through the school library with the "colour codes", then just read novels for fun. I'd usually read books straight after my older sister finished them too, which meant I read e.g. Lord of the Rings at the end of Year 3). I think a lot of that background contributed much more than innate intelligence.

I see so not just your current capacity to learn and understand things, how you're brought up makes a difference? interesting, although i guess it does make sense.

Original post by may_1
getting results in life is

20% natural ability/talent
80%hard work

For me this is the formula for working hard at things i don't understand

100% hard work + 0% talent = 0% results
Reply 26

sorry I don't get what you mean, elaborate? Do you mean for you personally this is the case and your getting 0% results?

@thefatone
there is no such thing as natural talent
Reply 28
I see so not just your current capacity to learn and understand things, how you're brought up makes a difference? interesting, although i guess it does make sense.

I'm basically saying that talent is more like the accummuated sum of all the work you've done. Intelligence is probably partly genetic, but I suspect it's more environmental.

I don't have a source for this but I'll suggest that the existance of people who are really good at some things (maths or engineering, say) naturally but who lack "natural talent" at other things (playing piano) probably just reflects that they did related things as a kid and have kept it up. After all, both of these things are "intelligence" based. Genetics is messy and I doubt there are genes specific enough to make you better at maths but not playing an instrument. Similar arguments can be made for essay writing etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
:colonhash:

It's going to be hard, but it's worth it in the end. I know that I'm not the most intellengent student. I don't have that talent. But I try my best in what I do.

It's about believing yourself. If you believe you can do it. You will.
Reply 30
Original post by may_1

sorry I don't get what you mean, elaborate? Do you mean for you personally this is the case and your getting 0% results?

@thefatone
I mean from my own personal experience i have worked had and gained nothing from it, so i pretty much wasted my time
Original post by SuperHuman98
there is no such thing as natural talent

really? where you're born with a better capacity to learn than others?
Original post by lerjj
I'm basically saying that talent is more like the accummuated sum of all the work you've done. Intelligence is probably partly genetic, but I suspect it's more environmental.

I don't have a source for this but I'll suggest that the existance of people who are really good at some things (maths or engineering, say) naturally but who lack "natural talent" at other things (playing piano) probably just reflects that they did related things as a kid and have kept it up. After all, both of these things are "intelligence" based. Genetics is messy and I doubt there are genes specific enough to make you better at maths but not playing an instrument. Similar arguments can be made for essay writing etc.

I guess.

That's obvious but why do people still tell me that hard work can always beat talent?

you forgot the option where you work hard and you're still worse than the talented who don't work
Original post by aamirac
:colonhash:

It's going to be hard, but it's worth it in the end. I know that I'm not the most intellengent student. I don't have that talent. But I try my best in what I do.

It's about believing yourself. If you believe you can do it. You will.

Is it? Is it really worth it?
Can i really? i'm sure it doesn't work that way, my physics for example, is something i've worked at and tried to understand but it just doesn't work. I'm still swaying more towards the you have to think about the other option. Yes most will say working harder gives better results and there's proof of it too, but what about the other option? what if you work hard and you don't get **** for it?

Is it? Is it really worth it?
Can i really? i'm sure it doesn't work that way, my physics for example, is something i've worked at and tried to understand but it just doesn't work. I'm still swaying more towards the you have to think about the other option. Yes most will say working harder gives better results and there's proof of it too, but what about the other option? what if you work hard and you don't get **** for it?

Yes, yes it is.
I struggle with physics too. (AS) But it depends on how you look at things, having that different perspective and seeing the bigger picture when solving problems helps understand the maths behind it and ties everything together.
But you need to realise that the only person saying you can't do it, is yourself. So instead of mopping about it. It's better to do something about it. Use this to fuel your motivation.
Find something that doesn't work out for you? Try an alternative method?
It will take time, yes. But that's honestly okay, do what ever you have to do to help you.
Reply 32
Original post by aamirac
Yes, yes it is.
I struggle with physics too. (AS) But it depends on how you look at things, having that different perspective and seeing the bigger picture when solving problems helps understand the maths behind it and ties everything together.
But you need to realise that the only person saying you can't do it, is yourself. So instead of mopping about it. It's better to do something about it. Use this to fuel your motivation.
Find something that doesn't work out for you? Try an alternative method?
It will take time, yes. But that's honestly okay, do what ever you have to do to help you.

I have come to this conclusion after taking a year of AS physics and failing miserably in the mock exam, i won't just go an say i can't do physics without trying hard at it or for anything else for that matter.

I've tried many methods of learning stuff like spider diagrams and all that jazz but it never worked.
I have given time too much time but i've tried my hardest to understand and learn the stuff but it just never works out, i've already had all this motivation to give my best and i have, what else can i do? nothing is the answer just forget it
I have come to this conclusion after taking a year of AS physics and failing miserably in the mock exam, i won't just go an say i can't do physics without trying hard at it or for anything else for that matter.

I've tried many methods of learning stuff like spider diagrams and all that jazz but it never worked.
I have given time too much time but i've tried my hardest to understand and learn the stuff but it just never works out, i've already had all this motivation to give my best and i have, what else can i do? nothing is the answer just forget it

ohh :hugs:

Guess what? I'm crap at physics too. My teacher doesn't even think I should be sitting in the class, but I'm still there.
I'm the same, I haven't got the 'talent', but I enjoy it and want to carry it on. So I am.

Ultimately, do you see a future in you going into the physics (or related field)?
If not, then I think you would have to tell your teacher/HoY about how you feel about this.
Reply 34
Original post by aamirac
ohh :hugs:

Guess what? I'm crap at physics too. My teacher doesn't even think I should be sitting in the class, but I'm still there.
I'm the same, I haven't got the 'talent', but I enjoy it and want to carry it on. So I am.

Ultimately, do you see a future in you going into the physics (or related field)?
If not, then I think you would have to tell your teacher/HoY about how you feel about this.

That's the difference between you and i. I didn't really like physics but it got tough quick and although i worked at it it never happened for me :/

I do not, something in the field of maths sounds good to me
That's the difference between you and i. I didn't really like physics but it got tough quick and although i worked at it it never happened for me :/

I do not, something in the field of maths sounds good to me

Ohh I see. How many do you do now? If you do four you can always drop it.

Spoiler

Reply 36
Original post by aamirac
Ohh I see. How many do you do now? If you do four you can always drop it.

Spoiler

I do 3 now, i've dropped physics and hoping to do some extra maths modules in place of the physics
I do 3 now, i've dropped physics and hoping to do some extra maths modules in place of the physics

That's alright, as long as you have 3 in the end then you're fine. :colondollar:
Reply 38
Original post by aamirac
That's alright, as long as you have 3 in the end then you're fine. :colondollar:

yup should be alright xD

Quick Reply

Latest