The Student Room Group

Why do leftists love Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inhuman
:smile:

Some people are so extra :frown:
Loaded question
The religions are bad; the people who follow them are generally good.

Christianity, Islam they're basically the same.

Most "muslims" do not really believe in the majority of the Quran and most Christians pick and choose from the Bible. It's rare to find many "extremists" who follow the books literally.

Those who do follow the religions word for word are senseless and often the asinine morons who use religion to excuse their crimes. (Or spend their entire lives trying to make sense of it all, without coming to an actual conclusion due to contradictions left, right and center.

The world is quickly growing up and all those who fail to grow up with it will surely die out.

There are good religions, however, such as Jainism and you'll find that it is perhaps the true religion of peace. In fact, extremists following Jainism will often avoiding breathing too much, in order to avoid mistakenly swallowing a fly! They believe in total avoidance of inflicting suffering upon any living thing, which in my opinion is the most peaceful way to live.

Islam is not a religion of peace, but there are peaceful people following it.

Christianity is not a religion of peace, but there are peaceful people following it.

Judaism is not a religion of peace, but there are peaceful people following it.

etc.

As for the "lefties..."

I feel that many of them suffer from a complex of wishing to be the moral supremacists. They do make a very valid point and I believe are needed to avoid conflict where unnecessary. Not all muslims are terrorists, not all muslims rape women and not all muslims are trying to overthrow Western Culture. But a large group of muslims are. Not the majority, but enough to cause concern.

That's my bit. Lefties are just looking for appraisal from anywhere they can get it. Almost like a needy child. Who can blame them? Rational thinking individuals won't give it to them, so why not turn to those who are desperate for white knights to defend them?

That last section was mostly a joke. Please don't take me too seriously :wink:
Reply 163
Original post by shakeebshams
and @QE2

Look's like you guys have misunderstood my post.
Follow my Instructions:
1. Open up a classical work of Shakespeare

2. Read it through it's entirety
3. come back here and post whatever you have understood.

What I'm trying to say, any living language gets heavily changed over the years

This is the type of english back in the 1500's:
th're is nay way a bee
shouldst beest able to flyeth.
its wings art too bawbling to receiveth
its bacon-fed dram corse off the did grind.
the bee, of course, flies concluded, be it
because bees careth not
what humans bethink is impossible.

I'm pretty sure a common person would not be able to understand it, even if they are english speakers.
Same thing with Arabic.
But there are people who do understand it perfectly well, and they have translated it into contemporary languages. And by comparing the 30 odd main english translations, we can assess their compatability. If all of them differed widely in content and context, we would rightly be suspicious of their accuracy. However, what we actually find is that they all match very closely, clearly showing that the meaning of the original Arabic is clearly understandable.

Do you know why most scientific terms are in Greek or Latin? They are dead languages and thus will not evolve over the years. That's why we are called Homo sapiens and not humans. the word "human" will most likely change in the next century.
LOL! No it isn't!
The binomial system is used for a variety of reason, like international standardisation, and because Latin was the universal language of science and learning for centuries.
Some Latin and Greek words even have their meaning changed when used in the binomial system, and new words can be created for new species.
Original post by KingBradly
Why do they love Islam so much that they shrug their shoulders when its followers rape women in the street? Why do they have the attitude of "it's just their culture man" when Muslims behead gays? Just wondering. Why is it OK for Muslims to act like this but it's not OK for non-Muslims to wear shirts with naughty cartoon pictures of ladies on it?

Just because we don't react the way you right-wingers do and insist on pinning it on all Muslims and demanding an apology from the entire Muslim community doesn't mean we "love Islam" or shrug these things off or dismiss it as their culture.
Reply 165
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
So you think.
It's in the Quran and sunnah. In black and white.

The Quran and prophet's teachings do not teach violence, intolerance and discrimination, but unfortunately some people go against the Quran's basic teachings.
What they "teach" is subjective. But you cannot deny that they contain passages that command or permit violent actions against others. Whether people decide to reject them or act on them is a different matter. But they are still there.

The word 'Islam' means peace.
No it doesn't. It means "submission".
Original post by QE2
Even the bits allowing slavery, wife-beating, killing apostates, executing prisoners and torturing people to death?

Surely you could find better inspiration while still maintaining a belief in the supernatural?

Haha, 'killing apostates':

I dare you to find even a single verse in the Quran that says this

This was a bold claim, because unlike the Bible, there is no mention of apostasy laws in the Koran. Even Sam Harris, a notable critic of Islam, admits to this fact in no ambiguous words: “Interestingly, [the penalty for apostasy] isn’t spelled out in the Koran.”
Please do not confuse country laws with islamic law. Women not being able to drive in Saudi has nothing to do with Islam and it's teachings.

Beating Wives:

"According to Quran the relationship between the husband and wife should be based on mutual love and kindness. Allah says: "And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect." (Quran: Ar-Rum 21)

The Holy Quran urges husbands to treat their wives with kindness. (In the event of a family dispute, Quran exhorts the husband to treat his wife kindly and not to overlook her positive aspects). Allah Almighty says: “Live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and Allah brings about through it a great deal of good.” (Quran: An-Nisaa 19)

It is important that a wife recognizes the authority of her husband in the house. He is the head of the household, and she is supposed to listen to him. But the husband should also use his authority with respect and kindness towards his wife. If there arises any disagreement or dispute among them, then it should be resolved in a peaceful manner. Spouses should seek the counsel of their elders and other respectable family members and friends to batch up the rift and solve the differences.

It is important to read the section fully. One should not take part of the verse and use it to justify one's own misconduct. This verse neither permits violence nor condones it. It guides us to ways to handle delicate family situation with care and wisdom. The word "beating" is used in the verse, but it does not mean "physical abuse". The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) explained it "dharban ghayra mubarrih" which means "a light tap that leaves no mark". He further said that face must be avoided. Some other scholars are of the view that it is no more than a light touch by siwak, or toothbrush.

Generally, the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) used to discourage his followers from taking even this measure. He never hit any female, and he used to say that the best of men are those who do not hit their wives. In one Hadith he expressed his extreme repulsion from this behavior and said, "How does anyone of you beat his wife as he beats the stallion camel and then embrace (sleep with) her?” (Al-Bukhari, English Translation, vol. 8, Hadith 68, pp. 42-43)

It is also important to note that even this "light strike" mentioned in the verse is not to be used to correct some minor problem, but it is permissible to resort to only in a situation of some serious moral misconduct when admonishing the wife fails, and avoiding from sleeping with her would not help. If this disciplinary action can correct a situation and save the marriage, then one should use it."

Executing Prisoners:

Upon capture, the prisoners must be guarded and not ill-treated. Islamic law holds that the prisoners must be fed and clothed, either by the Islamic government or by the individual who has custody of the prisoner. This position is supported by the verse(Quran 76:8). The prisoners must be fed in a dignified manner, and must not be forced to beg for their subsistence. Muhammad's(PBUH) early followers also considered it a principle to not separate prisoners from their relatives.

After the fighting is over, prisoners are to be released, with some prospect of survival, or ransomed. The freeing or ransoming of prisoners by Muslims themselves is highly recommended as a charitable act. The Qur'an also urges kindness to captives and recommends, their liberation by purchase or manumission. The freeing of captives is recommended both for the expiation of sins and as an act of simple benevolence.

Please, don't Bullsh*t your own laws as Islamic laws. If the US does it, doesn't mean the Prophet(PBUH) did it

Torturing people to death:
Hisham ibn Hakim passed by some people in Syria who had been made to stand in the sun and had oil poured over their heads. He asked, “What is this?” It was said, They are being punished for not paying taxes.” Hisham said: I heard the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, say: "Verily, Allah will torture those who torture people in this world."

See the problem here? It is people LIKE YOU who make up their own laws and Bullsh*t
that it is islamic laws. Either just GTFO out of this forum or don't Bullsh*t
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 167
Yes, I can because I am entitled to my opinion.
No. Because you are speaking for others without their knowledge or permission. Your opinion on issues does not affect the opinion of others.

I can't be blamed for the people who don't respect other cultures, religions and beliefs.
Of course you can't. And no reasonable person would try to.

I don't believe that, and I can adapt to today's attitudes and society, so please don't blame me for the actions and speech of all the Muslims in the world today.
What I am saying is that your attitude to Islam is not representative of others, and obviously you should not be blamed for the behaviour of others.

Just like everyone else, Muslims are individuals who should be judged on their actions and words.
Islam, however, is an ideology that can be analysed and criticised, just like any other.
Reply 168
Original post by animus1
I smell ...
Yep. I did a bit of looking and the only criticism I could find was over their recording of terror attacks. Nothing about their analysis of Islamic ideology.

This was a bold claim, because unlike the Bible, there is no mention of apostasy laws in the Koran. Even Sam Harris, a notable critic of Islam, admits to this fact in no ambiguous words: “Interestingly, [the penalty for apostasy] isn’t spelled out in the Koran.”
Please do not confuse country laws with islamic law. Women not being able to drive in Saudi has nothing to do with Islam and it's teachings.

Beating Wives:

"According to Quran the relationship between the husband and wife should be based on mutual love and kindness. Allah says: "And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect." (Quran: Ar-Rum 21)

The Holy Quran urges husbands to treat their wives with kindness. (In the event of a family dispute, Quran exhorts the husband to treat his wife kindly and not to overlook her positive aspects). Allah Almighty says: “Live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and Allah brings about through it a great deal of good.” (Quran: An-Nisaa 19)

It is important that a wife recognizes the authority of her husband in the house. He is the head of the household, and she is supposed to listen to him. But the husband should also use his authority with respect and kindness towards his wife. If there arises any disagreement or dispute among them, then it should be resolved in a peaceful manner. Spouses should seek the counsel of their elders and other respectable family members and friends to batch up the rift and solve the differences.

It is important to read the section fully. One should not take part of the verse and use it to justify one's own misconduct. This verse neither permits violence nor condones it. It guides us to ways to handle delicate family situation with care and wisdom. The word "beating" is used in the verse, but it does not mean "physical abuse". The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) explained it "dharban ghayra mubarrih" which means "a light tap that leaves no mark". He further said that face must be avoided. Some other scholars are of the view that it is no more than a light touch by siwak, or toothbrush.

Generally, the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) used to discourage his followers from taking even this measure. He never hit any female, and he used to say that the best of men are those who do not hit their wives. In one Hadith he expressed his extreme repulsion from this behavior and said, "How does anyone of you beat his wife as he beats the stallion camel and then embrace (sleep with) her?” (Al-Bukhari, English Translation, vol. 8, Hadith 68, pp. 42-43)

It is also important to note that even this "light strike" mentioned in the verse is not to be used to correct some minor problem, but it is permissible to resort to only in a situation of some serious moral misconduct when admonishing the wife fails, and avoiding from sleeping with her would not help. If this disciplinary action can correct a situation and save the marriage, then one should use it."

Executing Prisoners:

Upon capture, the prisoners must be guarded and not ill-treated. Islamic law holds that the prisoners must be fed and clothed, either by the Islamic government or by the individual who has custody of the prisoner. This position is supported by the verse(Quran 76:8). The prisoners must be fed in a dignified manner, and must not be forced to beg for their subsistence. Muhammad's(PBUH) early followers also considered it a principle to not separate prisoners from their relatives.

After the fighting is over, prisoners are to be released, with some prospect of survival, or ransomed. The freeing or ransoming of prisoners by Muslims themselves is highly recommended as a charitable act. The Qur'an also urges kindness to captives and recommends, their liberation by purchase or manumission. The freeing of captives is recommended both for the expiation of sins and as an act of simple benevolence.

Please, don't ******** own laws as Islamic laws. If the US does it, doesn't mean the Prophet(PBUH) did it

Torturing people to death:
Hisham ibn Hakim passed by some people in Syria who had been made to stand in the sun and had oil poured over their heads. He asked, “What is this?” It was said, They are being punished for not paying taxes.” Hisham said: I heard the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, say: "Verily, Allah will torture those who torture people in this world."

See the problem here? It is people LIKE YOU who make up their own laws and ******** that it is islamic laws. Either just GTFO out of this forum or don't ********

The Quran is so contradictory that I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to have been written by someone with Alzheimer's. I can give you another verse for each verse you've given that teaches the exact opposite.
Original post by QE2
No. Because you are speaking for others without their knowledge or permission. Your opinion on issues does not affect the opinion of others.

Of course you can't. And no reasonable person would try to.

What I am saying is that your attitude to Islam is not representative of others, and obviously you should not be blamed for the behaviour of others.

Just like everyone else, Muslims are individuals who should be judged on their actions and words.
Islam, however, is an ideology that can be analysed and criticised, just like any other.

Alright sorry I was just trying to apologise but ok not then. Islam and it's followers are not perfect, including me , and I think these extremist views have to end. I am sorry for any inconvenience. :smile:

Haha,

You just brought me a anti-islamic website link.
I've found over 50 websites that promote anti-islamism all while acting to be a legit Islamic website.
Sigh, what have we come to.

Have a look here:
badwesbites.JPG
Reply 173

They said "the content of the Qur'an & the example of the prophet"
I even put it in bold to make sure that nobody responded with "Aha! Gotcha! That's not in the Quran!!"

Beating Wives:

x
3:43 states that wives may be beaten, as a last resort, if the husband fears disobedience. Other verses that talk about how to treat your wife does not affect this.

There is nothing in any sahih hadith about a "light tap that leaves no mark".
The worrd used in the Quran is only used in the same form in one other place - 8:12, where it is used to describe striking enemies in battle.
Did Allah really command the Muslim soldiers to give the enemy soldiers a light tap that left no mark? No, in context, there is a clear implication of physical force.

there are sahih hadith that state that the beating should not be too severe or cause injury.

Executing Prisoners:

Please, don't Bullsh*t your own laws as Islamic laws. If the US does it, doesn't mean the Prophet(PBUH) did it
Read about the massacre of the Banu Qurayza.

T
orturing people to death:
When Muhammad captured some men who were suspected of stealing some camels and killing their herder, "He then ordered that their hands and feet be cut off (and it was done), and their eyes were branded with heated pieces of iron. Next, they were put in the sun until they died." (sahih Muslim)

See the problem here? It is people LIKE YOU who make up their own laws and Bullsh*t

that it is islamic laws. Either just GTFO out of this forum or don't Bullsh*t
See the problem here? Seems like Muhammad was a bit of a "Do as I say, not do as I do" kinda guy.
Haha,

I've found over 50 websites that promote anti-islamism all while acting to be a legit Islamic website.
Sigh, what have we come to.

Have a look here:
badwesbites.JPG

It is an anti-Islamic website, of course it is. Do you expect Al-Azhar.org.uk to be publishing daily criticisms of Islam?
Reply 175
Alright sorry I was just trying to apologise but ok not then. Islam and it's followers are not perfect, including me , and I think these extremist views have to end. I am sorry for any inconvenience. :smile:
Stop apologising!:wink:
Reply 176
Haha,

So, does that mean that "pro-Islam" websites can similarly be rejected for being biased?
Original post by QE2
Stop apologising!:wink:

Lol! :biggrin: It's just cuz I feel like I do something wrong. :smile: :wink:
Original post by TuringTest
The thing is though even without Islamist extremists like IS, being gay is still punishable by death in Muslim countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia. The way women are treated in those countries also is atrocious and is only made worst by the extremists.

I understand where you are coming from and I agree that at times Iran and Saudi Arabia have not treated women in the best manner. However I must clarify for all that this has nothing to do with the religion Islam. I do not know the specifics of the atrocious behavior you have mentioned, yet I can still certify that it is not justified by Islam. Before Islam, women were considered shameful, female children were buried alive, prostitution was rampant, divorce was only in the hands of the husband, inheritance was only for the strong, and oppression was widespread. Islam came and abolished these practices. Even now, in “developed countries”, women are not granted respect, dignity and honour, let alone equal pay for equal work. Islam, however, regards women as precious and valuable, not to be disrespected or disgraced. The mistreatment of women in some Middle-Eastern countries or Muslim families is due to cultural factors that some Muslims wrongly follow, not because of Islam. Why would many women around the world willingly enter Islam if it is an oppressive religion?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SaalihahHusain
I understand where you are coming from and I agree that at times Iran and Saudi Arabia have not treated women in the best manner. However I must clarify for all that this has nothing to do with the religion Islam. I do not the specifics of the atrocious behavior you have mentioned, yet I can still certify that it is not justified by Islam. Before Islam, women were considered shameful, female children were buried alive, prostitution was rampant, divorce was only in the hands of the husband, inheritance was only for the strong, and oppression was widespread. Islam came and abolished these practices. Even now, in “developed countries”, women are not granted respect, dignity and honour, let alone equal pay for equal work. Islam, however, regards women as precious and valuable, not to be disrespected or disgraced. The mistreatment of women in some Middle-Eastern countries or Muslim families is due to cultural factors that some Muslims wrongly follow, not because of Islam. Why would many women around the world willingly enter Islam if it is an oppressive religion?

You have great sentiment and caring views, but sadly an ignorant knowledge of Islam. I have an exam tomorrow so I am not going to comment further, but to say the least, I left Islam mainly because of the abhorrent misogyny in the Quran and Hadith. "Women are lacking mind and religion" said Muhammed. That's one of a thousand quotes of similar manner. You can very easily verify what I said if you really want to know the truth.

Quick Reply

Latest