The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Are the locus quetions within the spec- they come up quite often in the practice qs?
Reply 781
Original post by thesmallman
Are the locus quetions within the spec- they come up quite often in the practice qs?

They are not in the FP1 specification. They are only in the FP3 specification.

For FP1 coordinate systems, you need to be able to:

Use Cartesian and parametric equations for parabola & rectangular hyperbola

Use the focus-directrix property of the parabola

Find tangents and normals to the curves

+ anything in C1/C2 Coordinate Systems

With divisibility proof questions, can you use the method where you assume f(k) is divisible by 5 and so have f(k)=5m (rearranging it and substituting into f(k+1), and still get full marks? It's not a popular method like the f(k+1)-f(k) method but I often find it easier, don't want to risk not getting full marks though.
Reply 783
Original post by Windowswind123
For proof by induction divisibility questions.... Not sure how to word it so I will give an example..
Prove that 3^(2n+3) + 3n +2 is divisible by 9 (probably not true)
Can you in your induction step go straight to :
f(k+1) - 9f(k) = blah blah
To cancel the 3^(2n+3) term or do you need to start with a coefficient of one?

you would have to say f(k+1)=..... or f(k+1)-f(k)=....... and then end up making it f(k+1)
Reply 784
Is part c part of the spec because it's the only part of the question I can't do and I've never seen anything similar in a past paper. Also if it is how do you do it?

Reply 785
Original post by TheMoon
With divisibility proof questions, can you use the method where you assume f(k) is divisible by 5 and so have f(k)=5m (rearranging it and substituting into f(k+1), and still get full marks? It's not a popular method like the f(k+1)-f(k) method but I often find it easier, don't want to risk not getting full marks though.

Haven't seen that method in mark schemes so i am not sure. Would go for f)k+1-f(k) as it is popular and usually gets you the six marks. Good luck
Original post by veejn
Is part c part of the spec because it's the only part of the question I can't do and I've never seen anything similar in a past paper. Also if it is how do you do it?

Haven't seen this ever before, I think that it's outside the spec. What one are you looking at?
Reply 787
Original post by veejn

if you don't mind me asking what paper is this from?
Original post by anujsr
you would have to say f(k+1)=..... or f(k+1)-f(k)=....... and then end up making it f(k+1)

Oh really :s-smilie:
I've always practiced by doing f(k+1) - xf(k) =
Then adding the xf(k) at the end.
And saying if f(k) is divisible, xf(k) is divisible and so true for n=k+1

Maybe in the exam I'll try and do it both ways. They credit your highest scoring method right?
Reply 789
Oh really :s-smilie:
I've always practiced by doing f(k+1) - xf(k) =
Then adding the xf(k) at the end.
And saying if f(k) is divisible, xf(k) is divisible and so true for n=k+1

Maybe in the exam I'll try and do it both ways. They credit your highest scoring method right?

I use that method because i have seen it in almost all the mark schemes. I am not sure about your method but if thats the one you are comfortable with use it
Original post by anujsr
Haven't seen that method in mark schemes so i am not sure. Would go for f)k+1-f(k) as it is popular and usually gets you the six marks. Good luck

This is the method I'm talking about, I've seen it in the textbook so I thought it would be allowed:

^this was from the textbook "review 2" solutions.
Reply 791
Original post by anujsr
I use that method because i have seen it in almost all the mark schemes. I am not sure about your method but if thats the one you are comfortable with use it

It is basically the same thing only that you get the xf(k) on the right hand side rather than the left. that is f(k+1)-f(k)=8f(k)+8(30k+5) for example. then you move the f(k) to the right. You should be credited for your method if you end up with the correct proof. THe mark scheme gives many proofs. My advice would be check in other mark schemes as well. Good luck.
Original post by anujsr

Phew, had a quick panic but then I saw my method is https://7cba9babeb0db0ff9468853e0b2d0a80708ec59c.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZGxseFBIQkphV0k/June%202014%20MS%20-%20FP1%20Edexcel.pdf (question 9 method 3).
Thanks for the help anyway :biggrin:
Reply 793
Original post by TheMoon
This is the method I'm talking about, I've seen it in the textbook so I thought it would be allowed:

^this was from the textbook "review 2" solutions.

Then its alright! :smile:
Original post by veejn

It's more FP3, than FP1. I wouldn't worry about it
Reply 795
Original post by anujsr
if you don't mind me asking what paper is this from?

It's from a revision sheet provided by my school
Reply 796
Phew, had a quick panic but then I saw my method is https://7cba9babeb0db0ff9468853e0b2d0a80708ec59c.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZGxseFBIQkphV0k/June%202014%20MS%20-%20FP1%20Edexcel.pdf (question 9 method 3).
Thanks for the help anyway :biggrin:

Haha.. sorry about that. Hope the exam goes well. How long do you take to finish this paper though.
Reply 797
Original post by veejn
It's from a revision sheet provided by my school

It must be from the old specification then. haven't seen that in the text book though.
Original post by anujsr
Haha.. sorry about that. Hope the exam goes well. How long do you take to finish this paper though.

Usually around the hour mark.
Reply 799
Original post by kingaaran
It's more FP3, than FP1. I wouldn't worry about it

Ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest