The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anujsr
Then its alright! :smile:

Are you sure? because I can't find the method in any mark scheme so I'm afraid the examiner will mark it wrong because it's not a way of doing it that's accepted by the mark scheme :/
Reply 801
Original post by TheMoon
Are you sure? because I can't find the method in any mark scheme so I'm afraid the examiner will mark it wrong because it's not a way of doing it that's accepted by the mark scheme :/

Then to be safe, if you still have time practice using the accepted method. Hopefully it will work out.
Reply 802
Original post by anujsr
Then to be safe, if you still have time practice using the accepted method. Hopefully it will work out.

If you have the edexcel textbook it is one of the proofs in topic 6
Original post by TheMoon

Yeah, there's a range of alternative methods listed every year - yours is one of them. If you do the proof correctly, then you will get full marks
Reply 804
Original post by Windowswind123
Usually around the hour mark.

Thanks, just wanted to know so that i can finish on time. Usually i start lagging behind when i do questions too slowly
Any help with this proof by induction question please? Thanks!

@Zacken @NotNotBatman @kingaaran etc! Thank you!

Question from CM PBI worksheet
This one is pretty difficult and took me a while, I doubt we would get this in the exam just because it is rather horrible. 1463677569546.jpg1463677608857.jpg1463677639902.jpg1463677810374.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anujsr
Thanks, just wanted to know so that i can finish on time. Usually i start lagging behind when i do questions too slowly

Good luck - I was really worried about M3 for timing but I managed to finish that in an hour.
Still stressed about D1 timing though - sure that should be two hours :biggrin:
Hi can someone explain how matrix rotation work for multiples of 45°? Thank youu
Original post by TheMoon
This is the method I'm talking about, I've seen it in the textbook so I thought it would be allowed:

^this was from the textbook "review 2" solutions.

ahhhh good to see my go to method for divsivion proofs - get it right every single time espicially if the question comes at the end of the paper! Unless of course it is like a question 2 or 3 proof where you can use the f(k+1) -f(k) method
Original post by alfmeister
This one is pretty difficult and took me a while, I doubt we would get this in the exam just because it is rather horrible. 1463677569546.jpg1463677608857.jpg1463677639902.jpg1463677810374.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

My neck hurts now!
Original post by iMacJack
Any help with this proof by induction question please? Thanks!

@Zacken @NotNotBatman @kingaaran etc! Thank you!

Question from CM PBI worksheet

Normal divisibility (by 3). Consider f(k+1)f(k)f(k+1) - f(k). See this if you're still stuck.
Original post by anujsr
If you have the edexcel textbook it is one of the proofs in topic 6

Oh is it? I have the edexcel textbook but I can't find it in there, but it's probably there somewhere, thanks!

Original post by kingaaran
Yeah, there's a range of alternative methods listed every year - yours is one of them. If you do the proof correctly, then you will get full marks

Thanks for the assurance! I assumed that the methods listed are the only ones accepted but that's good if they'll accept the way I do it as long as it's done right.
Original post by TheMoon

Thanks for the assurance! I assumed that the methods listed are the only ones accepted but that's good if they'll accept the way I do it as long as it's done right.

This is true for any question. Also remember that examiners get a more detailed copy of the markscheme than the one you see.
Can anyone explain where the 18p^2 goes in this question? seems to disappear? From the June15 paper question 8 (a).
Original post by indecisiveness
Hi can someone explain how matrix rotation work for multiples of 45°? Thank youu

If you work from the unit vectors.
The i vector if you rotate it 135 degrees for example anticlockwise will end up going around until it reaches the (+x, -y) quadrant. The x coordinate of that will be -cos45 and the y coordinate sin45.

The j vector will rotate until it reaches the (-x, -y) quadrant. The x coordinate will be -cos45 and the y coordinate will be -sin45.

So (1,0) will change to (-sin45, cos45) and (0,1) will change to (-sin45, -cos45).
Alternatively you can use the formula sheet. :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
This is true for any question. Also remember that examiners get a more detailed copy of the markscheme than the one you see.

Oh that's good, I thought that mark scheme was the one they use since it has a lot of notes, but that's definitely good if they get an even more detailed one.

Original post by tazza ma razza
ahhhh good to see my go to method for divsivion proofs - get it right every single time espicially if the question comes at the end of the paper! Unless of course it is like a question 2 or 3 proof where you can use the f(k+1) -f(k) method
Yeah it's brilliant! Never fails, it makes everything work out very easily even on the harder questions. Glad that I'm not the only one using it.
Original post by Coreling
Can anyone explain where the 18p^2 goes in this question? seems to disappear? From the June15 paper question 8 (a).

Take nine out as a factor: 9(p^4 + 2p^2 + 1)
Let x=p^2
9(x^2+2x+1)
Factorise:
9(x+1)^2
Square root:
3(x+1)
Resubstitute:
3(p^2+1)
Original post by Zacken
Normal divisibility (by 3). Consider f(k+1)f(k)f(k+1) - f(k). See this if you're still stuck.

Aha got ya.

Also, you know in the F1 Jan 16 paper you sit, you see the question about the coordinates of where the normal intersects the parabola again (or something along those lines) and you have a dirty quadratic with like p^3 and p^4's and what not - how on earth do you use the quadratic formula successfully to work out the coordinates?? I'm so baffled!

https://gyazo.com/98e0758d1498ec2a5addcd7bfc1f15ee

Part B is what I'm on about
Original post by Coreling

Oops...

(1 + p^2)^2 is 1 + 2p^2 + p^4

I suspect you forgot about the middle term!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending