The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Anarchism?

Anarchism generally gets bad reputation, I am curious what TSR's view of it is.

Scroll to see replies

Is that good?

There are many types of anarchism, from individualist to communist. Which do you prefer?
Possibly one of the worst ideas in history. Requires authority to be enforced, yet at its very basis it is against any form of authority. No one has really given a clear elucidation as to what it would look like, the only example in history people give is the failed communes during the Spanish Civil War which were destroyed by the Fascists and Communists (ironic!).

Sounds good if you want to live with no security and get stamped on by fascists.
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Possibly one of the worst ideas in history. Requires authority to be enforced, yet at its very basis it is against any form of authority. No one has really given a clear elucidation as to what it would look like, the only example in history people give is the failed communes during the Spanish Civil War which were destroyed by the Fascists and Communists (ironic!).

Sounds good if you want to live with no security and get stamped on by fascists.

As I said, there are lots of types of anarchism. Communists and fascists both clamped down on anarchism.

At its heart, anarchism is simply pure libertarianism. No government interference and surveillance, none of these artificial and arbitrary borders, no enforcement of ridiculous laws.
Original post by Multiculturalism
As I said, there are lots of types of anarchism. Communists and fascists both clamped down on anarchism.

At its heart, anarchism is simply pure libertarianism. No government interference and surveillance, none of these artificial and arbitrary borders, no enforcement of ridiculous laws.

What constitutes ridiculous law? I am thoroughly opposed to libertarianism, and would actually support a reform of our trade system to protect it from foreign markets which are displacing jobs in this country. If there is no surveillance whatsoever who ensures there is no anti-anarchist militia being founded? It is quite impractical.
Reply 5
It's bad, both practically and philosophically speaking.

It has also lost its seriousness in that most of the people who profess to support it are edgy teens who want to be different or want to seem all non-conformist.
What constitutes ridiculous law? I am thoroughly opposed to libertarianism, and would actually support a reform of our trade system to protect it from foreign markets which are displacing jobs in this country. If there is no surveillance whatsoever who ensures there is no anti-anarchist militia being founded? It is quite impractical.

Such as the criminalisation of drugs, many of which are harmless, and some even beneficial.

Surveillance invades people's privacy. The people themselves can form anti-anti-anarchist militias lol. Its a true democracy in every way.
Original post by Dartychu
It's bad, both practically and philosophically speaking.

It has also lost its seriousness in that most of the people who profess to support it are edgy teens who want to be different or want to seem all non-conformist.

I disagree.

Most people I know who support it are in their twenties, and aren't "edgy".
Such as the criminalisation of drugs, many of which are harmless, and some even beneficial.

Surveillance invades people's privacy. The people themselves can form anti-anti-anarchist militias lol. Its a true democracy in every way.

I don't agree with decriminalization, significant amount of damage to the third world, plus I don't think i've ever met a druggy who wasn't a knob, even the posh ones.

An absolute right to privacy cannot exist, some degree of privacy is beneficial but the type that an anarchist demands is unreasonable. So you're happy for people to found violent paramilitary organisations which could undermine anarchism? And you wonder why people with property and family don't have trust in this system?
Everyone's just 'dirty broke, beautiful and freeeeeeeeeeee'.
I don't agree with decriminalization, significant amount of damage to the third world, plus I don't think i've ever met a druggy who wasn't a knob, even the posh ones.

An absolute right to privacy cannot exist, some degree of privacy is beneficial but the type that an anarchist demands is unreasonable. So you're happy for people to found violent paramilitary organisations which could undermine anarchism? And you wonder why people with property and family don't have trust in this system?

Criminalization causes more damage than it reduces.

So what if they are "knobs"? How does that affect whether they should be doing drugs or not?

I'm happy for violent anti-anarchist militias to form, as long as the pro-anarchist militias can, as Trotsky eloquently said, "acquant their heads with the pavement".

I'm not endorsing violence by the way, just to clarify things.
I disagree.

Most people I know who support it are in their twenties, and aren't "edgy".

Hypothetically speaking, an anarchistic society would fade into an oligarchy given a little time anyway. I'll take the idea seriously if someone can actually explain how this is not the case, but I've heard a lot of arguments and none of them deal with this issue.
Criminalization causes more damage than it reduces.

So what if they are "knobs"? How does that affect whether they should be doing drugs or not?

I'm happy for violent anti-anarchist militias to form, as long as the pro-anarchist militias can, as Trotsky eloquently said, "acquant their heads with the pavement".

Lol Trotsky. Brb quoting a man responsible for starving millions of Russians due to stupid ideology.

I don't agree that criminalization increases damage, I think this is a lie which is taken as truth but really isn't. Naturally i'll oppose the activities of people I deem knobs, just like I disapprove of people who take a dump in public.
as long as the pro-anarchist militias can, as Trotsky eloquently said, "acquant their heads with the pavement".

Most people I know who support it aren't "edgy".

what
Lol Trotsky. Brb quoting a man responsible for starving millions of Russians due to stupid ideology.

I don't agree that criminalization increases damage, I think this is a lie which is taken as truth but really isn't. Naturally i'll oppose the activities of people I deem knobs, just like I disapprove of people who take a dump in public.

Ad hominem fallacy there. (Stupid ideology? Look at capitalism destroying the planet, then tell me how its better than Communism.)

If you saw someone taking a dump in public, but was doing no damage, perhaps it was into a bag or something, would you take action against him? Would you want the police involved? Of course not. Its his right to do that. Its the same with drugs, at least the lighter ones.
Ad hominem fallacy there. (Stupid ideology? Look at capitalism destroying the planet, then tell me how its better than Communism.)

If you saw someone taking a dump in public, but was doing no damage, perhaps it was into a bag or something, would you take action against him? Would you want the police involved? Of course not. Its his right to do that. Its the same with drugs, at least the lighter ones.

Ad hominem only applies to logical claims. I was attacking his character, I think he was a disgusting man, ergo it was perfectly ok. I disagree with liberal capitalism as well, i'd like regulation of key industries (which would remain private) to prevent environmental damage.

He has no right to take a dump in public. It is disgusting.
It's an okay topic for A Level politics, actually. One of the best ideologies that I study. :yes:
Those are my only thoughts on Anarchism.
Ad hominem only applies to logical claims. I was attacking his character, I think he was a disgusting man, ergo it was perfectly ok. I disagree with liberal capitalism as well, i'd like regulation of key industries (which would remain private) to prevent environmental damage.

He has no right to take a dump in public. It is disgusting.

He has every right. What if he really needs to go? Everyone else can simply look away ffs. Disgusting? Its a natural function, deal with it.
He has every right. What if he really needs to go? Everyone else can simply look away ffs. Disgusting? Its a natural function, deal with it.

Lol look away. Sex is natural as well, mind if I go for a quickie while i'm waiting for the tube?
Lol look away. Sex is natural as well, mind if I go for a quickie while i'm waiting for the tube?

Go ahead.

Quick Reply

Latest