The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Saw the highlights of Accrington and Wimbledon. What a stunning strike by the home side to make it 2-0, but full credit to Wimbledon. Akinfenwa is a handful and they did well to recover and rescue the match.

It was a thriller by all accounts.
If Wimbledon win the play-off final they'll go up and will have to host Milton Keynes at some point during the season :teehee:
I hope Wednesday, Barnsley and Wimbledon go up.
And League One final will be sorted tonight and tomorrow.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36335384

Huge news.

Needs 90% of clubs to agree in a vote next summer.
Original post by The Wavefunction
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36335384

Huge news.

Needs 90% of clubs to agree in a vote next summer.

This has made sense for some time with the rising number of full time non league clubs. Though to create the 5th division that will mean 'relegating' the bottom half of League 2, which is what happened when they made the old Division 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
This has made sense for some time with the rising number of full time non league clubs. Though to create the 5th division that will mean 'relegating' the bottom half of League 2, which is what happened when they made the old Division 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It'll also mean a loss in revenue for big teams, 4 less home matches. I think it may also lead to the introduction of Premier league B teams into the FL.
Original post by The Wavefunction
It'll also mean a loss in revenue for big teams, 4 less home matches. I think it may also lead to the introduction of Premier league B teams into the FL.

I initially thought this was about getting Celtic and Rangers to join, which has always been floating around for a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a needless idea.
Original post by Mackay
What a needless idea.

Surprised you think that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Surprised you think that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why?
Barnsley with a 6-1 aggregate win over Walsall.

If they get promoted, it will be the 2nd most unlikely event to happen this season.
Reply 5732
I think the 5 leagues is a good idea, especially as people have mentioned with the increasing numbers of non-league clubs being pro anyway - but I am 100% against prem sides having "B" teams in the same league system. That's what reserves/u21s are for! I get that reserve leagues aren't as competitive and so might not be as good for player development as the FL, but I just can't stand the idea of the big clubs having 2 teams.
Walsall have had a heck of a season - but you fear for them. They'll likely lose Bradshaw and Sawyers, so it may have been now or never for them.

Congratulations, Barnsley.
Shame for Walsall think they may struggle to get that high again next season.
Original post by Rock Fan
Shame for Walsall think they may struggle to get that high again next season.

They certainly will.

Bradshaw and Sawyers would be the two men I'd be trying to sign from the third tier - along with Ajose. If they lose them (which they will) I think they'll struggle getting top six. They'll be comfortably mid-table again, though.
Millwall should breeze through tonight but stranger things have happened
Original post by Rock Fan
Millwall should breeze through tonight but stranger things have happened

Stranger things being Derby almost overturning their deficit vs Hull!

Ha, but I think Millwall will advance - and they'll be a force to be reckoned with in the final. Millwall fans love heading to Wembley, and they'll almost turn the play-off final into a home game against Barnsley. Their fans have been raucous there in previous years.
Original post by Mackay

Ha, but I think Millwall will advance - and they'll be a force to be reckoned with in the final. Millwall fans love heading to Wembley, and they'll almost turn the play-off final into a home game against Barnsley. Their fans have been raucous there in previous years.

This is the best example Nottingham Forest at home with a two goal lead and blowing it against Yeovil.

[video="youtube;wI-RO51QMf8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI-RO51QMf8&spfreload=10[/video]
Original post by Mackay

That's exactly why I'm hoping Millwall don't go through.

One of the most hated fanbases in the country - legitimately worse than Chelsea fans.

Quick Reply

Latest