The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel C1 higher thoughts?

I personally thought it was a simple paper, six markers were a little challenging. How did you find it?

Scroll to see replies

I found some of the questions okay, but I think they definitely tried to make the paper harder by adding loads of longer answer questions. What did you put for the hardening vegetable oils question and the question about improving the experiment with the spirit burner (Calorimetry) ?
It was pretty easy. Most of the questions were regurgitate facts from the spec. The paraffin experiment is in the Pearson revision guide too.
Original post by ZaCHH
That test was relatively easy.

I honestly believe I got every question correct in that.

How did you draw the PTFE Molecule?

Also, for the Pentane combustion question, would I get a mark if I doubled the balancing numbers?

Also what did you put down for the CO2 and Average surface temperature question?
Not bad but the paper seemed like it was very easy to lose marks
Who think grade boundaries may fall 1or 2 marks as last years six markers were much easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DannyPaulCooke
I found some of the questions okay, but I think they definitely tried to make the paper harder by adding loads of longer answer questions. What did you put for the hardening vegetable oils question and the question about improving the experiment with the spirit burner (Calorimetry) ?

Huh but there were no questions on vegetable oil and calirometry??????
Original post by Nikolas242
Not bad but the paper seemed like it was very easy to lose marks

i totally agree
Guys i wrote that hydrogen is good because it is renewable and burns cleanly but its bad because it burn easily

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by legend.786
Guys i wrote that hydrogen is good because it is renewable and burns cleanly but its bad because it burn easily

Posted from TSR Mobile

You definitely got one mark for your advantage, but I think your disadvantage is a bit vague. I put that it burns with a lot of energy, more so than petrol.
Original post by TheMasterofLife
How did you draw the PTFE Molecule?

Also, for the Pentane combustion question, would I get a mark if I doubled the balancing numbers?

Also what did you put down for the CO2 and Average surface temperature question?

The PTFE molecule was just the original molecule (can't remember the name) in brackets and without the double bond.

I totally flunked the combustion question as i ended up confusing myself haha.

The CO2 and average surface temperature was really confusing so i just guessed and put that because the CO2 has increased by over a 100% and that the average surface temperature only increased by 0.4.
The PTFE one asked for two molecules of it so it was:
f f f f

-c-c-c-c-
f f f f

(Can't really draw it very well but there were brackets around it as well)

Hope this makes sense

I found the test to be really nice as a whole, the six markers were a little vague but there were many points to be made so hopefully more can be picked up from it.
On the question how else can u dispose polymers i put cracking

Posted from TSR Mobile
incineration?
Original post by legend.786
On the question how else can u dispose polymers i put cracking

Posted from TSR Mobile

You were supposed to write incineration lol xD
I don't think you'd get the mark for saying cracking. I put microorganisms can decompose/break down polymers into tiny pieces in the soil if they contain starch granules
Werent u supposed to write two in the bottom right corner of the Poly tetra fluoro ethene?
Original post by Heardmanator
The PTFE one asked for two molecules of it so it was:
f f f f

-c-c-c-c-
f f f f

(Can't really draw it very well but there were brackets around it as well)

Hope this makes sense

I found the test to be really nice as a whole, the six markers were a little vague but there were many points to be made so hopefully more can be picked up from it.

So hang did we have to draw two conjoined molecules for the polymer not just

( c -c ) with the the f's attached but two of them, if that makes sense?
Original post by LaFleur786
I don't think you'd get the mark for saying cracking. I put microorganisms can decompose/break down polymers into tiny pieces in the soil if they contain starch granules

Do you think we could have said, recycled. i was tempted to go with incinerated but couldn't decide which they preferred?
Original post by Flyer24
Do you think we could have said, recycled. i was tempted to go with incinerated but couldn't decide which they preferred?

I wrote recycling and asked my chemistry teacher afterwards and she said it's fine

Quick Reply

Latest