The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

I've given up on that area of a triangle question :angry:
Original post by Zacken
Pull out a factor of 1/2 (or -1/2) and you should see that the remianing bit inside the bracket is rotation of angle 30 (or 60)

ii A is just finding the Det M, because the det is the scale factor, so ii (a) is 4, isn't it? Aren't you talking about part ii (b)?
Original post by iMacJack
This

It was really difficult for an area of a triangle question...

Maybe @kingaaran will help us!

Isn't it just two right-angled triangles? Because the two points P and Q have the same x coordinate so you can have 2 right angled triangles by splitting it up at the X axis?
Original post by Zacken
Pull out a factor of 1/2 (or -1/2) and you should see that the remianing bit inside the bracket is rotation of angle 30 (or 60)

I didn't get it at all.

235.png
ii A is just finding the Det M, because the det is the scale factor, so ii (a) is 4, isn't it? Aren't you talking about part ii (b)?

Huh, I guess you could do it that way. I just noticed that if pulled an factor of -1/2 out I'm left with a simple rotation inside.
For that PQS question, I found an area formula which helped me work it out..

(I have attached it as an image but the source is http://www.mathopenref.com/coordtrianglearea.html)

So A is (3, 0)
B is (12, 12)
and C is (27, -18)

Ax=3, Ay=0
Bx=12, By=12
Cx=27, Cy=-18

Subbing those into the formula, I got 225 units^2

Honestly though, I tried drawing diagrams and everything...couldn't find a better way of doing it tbh
Original post by Zacken

I don't understand why you'd pull out a factor of a half?
Original post by Zacken
Huh, I guess you could do it that way. I just noticed that if pulled an factor of -1/2 out I'm left with a simple rotation inside.

Yeah I know - I mean didn't he ask for help on part (a), which is the scale factor?
Hey does anyone have any predictions for this year? Cheers
Yeah I know - I mean didn't he ask for help on part (a), which is the scale factor?

Urgh, sorry. I meant pull out a factor of 2. Then you get 2(rotation matrix) so the 2 is your scale factor.
Original post by Zacken

How would u know to pull out half
Original post by TheRandomGenius
I've given up on that area of a triangle question :angry:

I found a solution which might help, somewhere on page 46 of this thread :P (I hope you're talking about the PQS question lol)

(Yeah look a couple of posts above this one)
Original post by economicss
Could anyone show how to do question 14 please http://crashmaths.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Coordinate-Systems-Worksheet.pdf really hard coordinate systems question, thanks! :smile:

That is a beastly question haha!! Just done the first part now! How far have you got?
Anyone tried 2014 June R? I think it's a good paper tbh.
Original post by WhatIsSleep
For that PQS question, I found an area formula which helped me work it out..

(I have attached it as an image but the source is http://www.mathopenref.com/coordtrianglearea.html)

So A is (3, 0)
B is (12, 12)
and C is (27, -18)

Ax=3, Ay=0
Bx=12, By=12
Cx=27, Cy=-18

Subbing those into the formula, I got 225 units^2

Honestly though, I tried drawing diagrams and everything...couldn't find a better way of doing it tbh

I don't understand, isn't it like two right angled triangles which you can use 1/2 base times height with?

I tried drawing it, obviously I've drawn it very inaccurately (terrible paint skills) since it doesn't look like a normal but is it something like this? Might be wrong. Sorry if I'm completely wrong with how it looks.
This gets 225 anyway.
Just to check when rearranging matrices does the term always go to the front so if
AB=C

A=B-1C

and
B=A-1C

Or is this wrong? it looks wrong
Original post by TheMoon
I don't understand, isn't it like two right angled triangles which you can use 1/2 base times height with?

I tried drawing it, obviously I've drawn it very inaccurately (terrible paint skills) since it doesn't look like a normal but is it something like this? Might be wrong. Sorry if I'm completely wrong with how it looks.
This gets 225 anyway.

Should be (12,12) not (27,12)
Original post by fpmaniac
Can anyone help me on how to solve sigma r=0 to r=1. Someone explained it before but i couldnt fully get it. Maybe give me some examples with n=1,2,3 etc. Thanks

If you look at the screenshot I have put examples in.

All you do is add on what r=0 is to the the summation for your soultion.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending