The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iMacJack
Jan 15 IAL F1 4C

Sorry took awhile. Two methods. I'd prefer the second, but most would go for the first

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463683957.837743.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1463683974.020674.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Question.

When you differentiate a parabola (so something with the equation y2 = 4ax) would you always make the differential a +/- or would you put it as simply a +? Because if leaving it just as a +, it gives you just one equation when you plug in, because obviously there is just one gradient.. But a +/- makes more sense.

Anyone mind clearing this up?
Original post by kingaaran
Sorry took awhile. Two methods. I'd prefer the second, but most would go for the first

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463683957.837743.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1463683974.020674.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

I don't understand the first method though... - why is it 1/2 * (18-3)* whatever?

Where does the 18-3 come from?

Cheers!
Yeah I'm doing FP1 tomorrow, not done Fp2 or 3 yet, the loci I cannot do haha. I think I've just about got the first part to the question - I've derived one of the coordinates haha, but nothing that complex is going to come up (I hope) so I think Im gonna just leave it. I'd love to do FP3 next year though, although our teacher is encouraging us to do M3 instead (as he teaches physics) so I guess I'll see :smile: Best luck in the exam!
Original post by connorbarr
Just draw a diagram, find the gradients of SP and SQ and u will see that they are perpendicular, then its just half the area of the rectangle using length of a line formula to work out the lengths

Thanks! Makes sense, although I wouldn't think to work out those gradients in the exam :/
Thank you!

I don't understand the first method though... - why is it 1/2 * (18-3)* whatever?

Where does the 18-3 come from?

Cheers!

Because the normal crosses the x axis, when y = 0, so we work out 18 by subbing y=0 into (a).

Then, we know that the area of a triangle is 1/2 * b*h, so the base of both triangles is (18-3) and the height is the other number i multiplied on
Good luck everyone.
GL everyone!
Original post by TheMoon
yeah sorry, I used p=3 for some reason when getting the x coordinate. not sure then :frown:

There has to be an easier way though.

Original post by WhatIsSleep
Maybe it's something that's not on the UK FP1 spec :/

Solution on post 940
Are the IAL papers necessary?

I find them exceptionally difficult, but am able to complete the normal fp1 papers.

Is this bad?
Original post by TrueDAN
That is a beastly question haha!! Just done the first part now! How far have you got?

Not very far at all, only got the equation! Please could you post your working for it :smile: have you done part b? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Hot&SpicyChicken
Are the IAL papers necessary?

I find them exceptionally difficult, but am able to complete the normal fp1 papers.

Is this bad?

They're written by the same people, so, apart from the bits of roots, everything else has the potentiality to make an appearance in a standard FP1 Paper
Here you go mate. 1463684751805.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Good luck all :biggrin:
They're written by the same people, so, apart from the bits of roots, everything else has the potentiality to make an appearance in a standard FP1 Paper

Can you properly explain to me how to do sigma r=0 to r=n with some examples. I still dont get it....
Original post by fpmaniac
Can you properly explain to me how to do sigma r=0 to r=n with some examples. I still dont get it....

It's the same as 1 to n but just an additional term involved?
Good Luck!
It's the same as 1 to n but just an additional term involved?

So what would it be for sigma r=0 r=n for r and sigma r=0 and r=n for rsquared

Well im going to die!
Can you help with the induction for Jan 2016 IAL Quesiton 9?

Thanks much apreciated!
Did you see my working I posted earlier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending