The Student Room Group

Should teacher's pay be determined on their students' results?

Should the grades which are achieved in exams determine the class teacher's salary whether they get high or low results?
No, obviously. How the hell would you allocate who gets the top set (free money), and who gets bottom set (no chance)?
Average grades of the year group?
Or base it off what percentage of each set reach their target grade.

Original post by BlueSam3
No, obviously. How the hell would you allocate who gets the top set (free money), and who gets bottom set (no chance)?
Reply 3
hj.jpg
Original post by 11LOrmston
Should the grades which are achieved in exams determine the class teacher's salary whether they get high or low results?

No that would be insanely dumb because a lot of the results depend on how bright the pupils were in the first place.
Original post by 999tigger
No that would be insanely dumb because a lot of the results depend on how bright the pupils were in the first place.

it's not so much that, if the pupils target is a d and they get the d then the teacher will get the same as what a student predicted an a and gets an a gets
Reply 6
All the best teachers would go to the schools with the best results and schools with bad results will never get any teachers unless they were really crap and they can't get work in any other school.
Original post by Brettmulrennan
it's not so much that, if the pupils target is a d and they get the d then the teacher will get the same as what a student predicted an a and gets an a gets

Now you are changing the pay system. Who gets to assess the pupils in the first place?
Happens already.

Teachers move up the pay scale when they meet their targets (like any other job). If your students don't make enough progress, and there is no good explanation for this, then you haven't met one of your targets. This applies to teachers of every year group, not just those who teach exam classes.

(note that the measure tends to be student progress not outright exam results)
Reply 9
Maybe amount of kids getting target grades would be a better measure as lower sets may only have targets of Es and Ds and higher sets As

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. My English teacher has not taught us unseen poetry what so ever, and we have ONE lesson to our exam which is Monday morning 9:00 am.
She doesn't support her students so she should be given a lower pay.
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Yes. My English teacher has not taught us unseen poetry what so ever, and we have ONE lesson to our exam which is Monday morning 9:00 am.
She doesn't support her students so she should be given a lower pay.

Are you completing the iGCSE English Literature on Monday?
Are you completing the iGCSE English Literature on Monday?

Yh, so gonaa flop tho :s-smilie:
No, because not everything is in a teachers control,

E.G. Revision outside of school , If a student is going to write down a thing in exam , If a student is willing to listen in class.

The teacher can advise a student on these issues but can't force them to make the correct decision.
I feel that teachers should have a set pay, obviously, but then their pay should also be based on how much progress their students have made;
if a teacher has helped to take pupils from a C grade to an A grade, through staying at school to help them, I believe that they should get paid more than the teacher that's sat there and perhaps a few students have got 30/60 when they were expecting to get 20/60.

It's got a LOT of loopholes, but it is a way to improve teaching, because us Brits love money, but also bring in teachers that actually do their job because they want to . I have heard of some of the absolute best teachers in my school, who teach Year 7-13, getting about £25000 after, say, 5 years, when some get paid £30000 just because they've been teaching Year 7-Year 9 for 10 years.

It's not a good example, but it gets the basic point across.
This idea already exists in a way, higher grades boost league tables, so the school will get more funding.

Decreasing teachers salary would be very unfair. At the end of the day they are human and I've never met a terrible, terrible teacher who doesn't care about their students at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending