The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Anarchism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Multiculturalism
Go ahead.

Stay classy mate.
Going to either extremes is terrible and anarchism is the worst, I do not think there has been a more flawed idea that people have backed for a very long time.
Without people being in power we would most likely be dead.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Going to either extremes is terrible and anarchism is the worst, I do not think there has been a more flawed idea that people have backed for a very long time.
Without people being in power we would most likely be dead.

They've backed fascism, imperialism, colonialism, capitalism for much longer than anarchism. Nobody has even given anarchism a try yet, so you cant say its definitely a bad thing. But we have tried fascism and the others, and we know the terrible results.
Original post by Dartychu
what

The original quote was "If you cannot convince a Fascist, acquaint his head with the pavement." Its not advocating random violence, its only against fascists, so its not really edgy.
They've backed fascism, imperialism, colonialism, capitalism for much longer than anarchism. Nobody has even given anarchism a try yet, so you cant say its definitely a bad thing. But we have tried fascism and the others, and we know the terrible results.

Nor has Killing everyone that is part of a religion been successfully tried yet sounds like a bad idea but you never know.
Probably around the same level of stupid as communism
The original quote was "If you cannot convince a Fascist, acquaint his head with the pavement." Its not advocating random violence, its only against fascists, so its not really edgy.

So advocating non random violence is fine and not edgy.
If you cannot convince a Muslim to convert introduce his head to a pavement.

seems fine and non edgy to me
Original post by TercioOfParma
Probably around the same level of stupid as communism

Probably worse.
At least communism has more of a chance of working than anarchism. even if the chance is less than 0.0000000000001%
Probably worse.
At least communism has more of a chance of working than anarchism. even if the chance is less than 0.0000000000001%

Communism in its purest form also lacks government as well, so maybe just as bad like that.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Communism in its purest form also lacks government as well, so maybe just as bad like that.

Yeah, true
Anarchism generally gets bad reputation, I am curious what TSR's view of it is.

Sounds like a terrible idea, humans by nature need law and enforcement not to degrade rapidly into mindless violent savages. The government brings stability and order into this already crazy world of ours. A country without order and authority would quickly turn into a Purge-esque nightmare
It's total ****.
It's too lower-middle class for me.
What if you get mindless violent savages into power? E.g. Hitler, who was the authoritarian's dream.
What if you get mindless violent savages into power? E.g. Hitler, who was the authoritarian's dream.

The vast majority of governments at least in the west aren't as bad as Hitler, I guess it would depend on what moral principles the government is guided by, but by and large most people don't fear God so if we completely removed all law and order the land would degenerate rapidly. I know this is going to sound terrible but faced with having Hitler in power vs a completly anarchist situation I would honestly rather have Hitler
The first image that pops in my mind when I hear a "anarchist" is a person usually a bald headed white young guy who thinks the government is evil and corrupt with his fist up in the air. To keep it short, someone who thinks they're edgy cuz they don't like the government, and wants no government at all.

I just imagine people who dislike the government for no real reason. I'm just basing my opinion off other Anarchists on the internet sites like reddit so sorry if I'm arrogant of the types of Anarchist. I just don't have good thoughts or images when I think of Anarchism and anarchists. But that's just me. Anarchism just seems so unnecessary.
So you'd rather have a genocide of minorities than even give anarchism a chance? Interesting.

Original post by SmileyVibe
The first image that pops in my mind when I hear a "anarchist" is a person usually a bald headed white young guy who thinks the government is evil and corrupt with his fist up in the air. To keep it short, someone who thinks they're edgy cuz they don't like the government, and wants no government at all.

I just imagine people who dislike the government for no real reason. I'm just basing my opinion off other Anarchists on the internet sites like reddit so sorry if I'm arrogant of the types of Anarchist. I just don't have good thoughts or images when I think of Anarchism and anarchists. But that's just me. Anarchism just seems so unnecessary.

The government is evil and corrupt, what is wrong with protesting about it?

The government is evil and corrupt, what is wrong with protesting about it?

Do you support less involvement of the gov't or the alienation of the gov't? I'll admit the government isn't perfect but its not entirely all bad.
Original post by SmileyVibe
Do you support less involvement of the gov't or the alienation of the gov't? I'll admit the government isn't perfect but its not entirely all bad.

I'm not sure we need a government. What governments do, the people can do better.
Nor has Killing everyone that is part of a religion been successfully tried yet sounds like a bad idea but you never know.

Except people have a right to religion. Governments dont have a right to exist, because they arent human.

So advocating non random violence is fine and not edgy.
If you cannot convince a Muslim to convert introduce his head to a pavement.

seems fine and non edgy to me

Again, religion is a right. Ideology - specifically fascism - is not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending