The Student Room Group

You cannot choose to be from a country; hence it is pointless being patriotic.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohgodwhatamidoin
Obviously you're either a terrible troll or a hopeless idiot.

Either way, good luck with getting out of this country.

rooofl
You're right, I didn't have a choice. However, I like to value my country is at is the community I have been born into, has nurtured me regardless of my flaws, and has provided a system by which to live which is satisfying and rewarding. It has also provided things to live up to and means of showing it is better than others.

Sure, my country may have it's problems, but so does anything. Patriotism to me is simply a representation of the appreciation for what my nation as a society and entity has achieved regardless of its ills.

I have plenty to be proud of regardless of that too, so labelling nationalists and patriots as simply empty unfulfilled people is a fallacy, even if a proportion are no doubt that.
Original post by Longshot6000

Most British patriots are even patriotic, they're just a bunch of insecure football chavs who attack others to make themselves feel better.

Are'nt patriotic* ffs must of gave the wrong idea.
Original post by 0to100
What badly phrased question did you ask?

Exactly

How is saying 'british culture is bland and boring' or 'chinese culture can be a bit weird e.g. eating dogs?' racist?
You can choose which country you live in(within reason). What's wrong with liking the country where you live?
I wasn't born in the UK and I think it's a pretty good place to live on the whole. I can see why some people would be proud of it.
Original post by Youngmetro
How is saying 'british culture is bland and boring' or 'chinese culture can be a bit weird e.g. eating dogs?' racist?

You're being obtuse. I already explained it guy.
One last time for you, ok?:

You keep saying brits this, brits that. You and I both know you mean white people in Britain/England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland etc No one ever accuses Indian, Caribbean etc for being "boring and bland." But you tried to clean it up by insulting them as if you meant them. No you meant white. I accused you of being a closet racist since you didn't actually say white people are bland (even though you mean it come the **** on guy). You then said I bein a brit am playing te "race card" so even though you're foolishly calling brits a race...it still means you were bein racist since you were insulting Brits.
I don't think being patriotic is dumb or pointless. Its taking pride in your country and where you're from. Its not necessarily the belief of superiority at all. If your city was being represented in a soccer/rugby match, would you not cheer for the soccer players representing you?

Do anyone of you not like the city or state you're from? Patriotism isn't negative. It has the potential to be if the person becomes racist.

I'm not the most patriotic person but I do like my country. Nothing is wrong in taking pride in it. Some people take pride in their traditions, their culture, and sometimes their country.
(edited 7 years ago)
The Chinese dont use their culture to undermine other cultures and people, the british do.

The Chinese dont think others should be forced to adopt their culture, the British do.

The Chinese dont think their culture is superior to others, the British do (well, western culture)

the Chinese dont uphold their culture and believe others should look up to it, the British do.

The Chinese have a culture, the British dont.

People who claim to be nationalists in Britain spend more time bashing other cultures, screaming about immigrants and muslims rather than actually being proud of their mundane culture. They simply shout 'Culture Relativism is ********'

So you're basically another one of these condemning colonialism types, taking it upon yourself to be judge jury and executioner of our entire culture?

I suggest you take up the study of history to get a real perspective on things. You would be left with any culture under your terms and conditions.

You are just another anti-British bigot.
Being proud of your country doesn't mean that your anti anyone else.

Come the Euros I'll most certainly be hanging flags from the windows and anyone who feels offended by it can **** off.
The Chinese dont use their culture to undermine other cultures and people, the british do.

The Chinese dont think others should be forced to adopt their culture, the British do.

The Chinese dont think their culture is superior to others, the British do (well, western culture)

the Chinese dont uphold their culture and believe others should look up to it, the British do.

The Chinese have a culture, the British dont.

People who claim to be nationalists in Britain spend more time bashing other cultures, screaming about immigrants and muslims rather than actually being proud of their mundane culture. They simply shout 'Culture Relativism is ********'

Go and ask the Tibetans or the Uyghur Muslims if they agree with you on these points about the Chinese.

If you hate the native Brits that much I assume you'll be returning to your ancestral homeland at the earliest opportunity?
(edited 7 years ago)

You're saying that Britain, the most tolerant nation in the world, undermines other cultures and imposes our culture on the rest of the world?

Are you serious?
By which logic: "You cannot choose to have a wonderful singing voice, hence it is pointless to celebrate this talent"
I can't choose my father - should I therefore not defend or love him?
Original post by EllaWelly
By which logic: "You cannot choose to have a wonderful singing voice, hence it is pointless to celebrate this talent"

Of course there is a significant talent aspect to singing, but in general very good singers are very good due to, like most things, lots of practice..
Original post by Itsyaboy
There's no point in being patriotic.

Why would one want to be proud of being British or whatever your demonym is, because you did not choose to be born there, you did not take some big test that you should boast about on the rooftops.

Every time I see someone identity as a patriot, I cringe. Not only has patriotism not just become being proud of one's country (which is stupid as explained above)
it's become a code word for the phrase "I'm a closet racist". Note that I immediately stop taking any person who says that seriously.

What are your thoughts

are you proud of your parents? you didn't choose to be born to them :holmes:
Original post by Itsyaboy
There's no point in being patriotic.

Why would one want to be proud of being British or whatever your demonym is, because you did not choose to be born there, you did not take some big test that you should boast about on the rooftops.

Every time I see someone identity as a patriot, I cringe. Not only has patriotism not just become being proud of one's country (which is stupid as explained above)
it's become a code word for the phrase "I'm a closet racist". Note that I immediately stop taking any person who says that seriously.

What are your thoughts

your a faggit---- does it non make you proud when you see your own county competing in the olympics?? Does it not make you proud (if you are from england) that we once owned the bitches from all the other meaningless countries one wole quarter on the ****ing world??? Do you not fel any gratitude or the millions of people that gave their lives for their country???? obviosly one of these hippy lefty tree huggers arent you ???
From my opinion England is shite, I can't wait to move to another country and get out of this shithole
I did not choose this body but I'll be damned if I stop being sexy because of that.

Also it's not what you choose, it's what chooses you.
Original post by MrControversial
I did not choose this body but I'll be damned if I stop being sexy because of that.

Also it's not what you choose, it's what chooses you.

Like Slavery?
Reply 219
I didn't choose to be born here, true, but this country looked after me and the population of this country are my brothers and sisters.
Did you decide to not try and score any goals in P.E because the teams were randomly assigned?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending