The Student Room Group

Egyptair plane with 66 passengers disappears from radar

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Betelgeuse-
This plane departed from Paris.. Sadly Paris like much of Europe and the UK imported the 2nd and third world to come and live with us which leads to bad stuff like Charles de Gaulle airport revoking security passes of 70 employees suspected of being "radical" muslims

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/12048335/Seventy-Paris-airport-workers-have-security-passes-revoked-over-extremism-fears.html

Nowhere is safe from 3rd world superstition anymore because we imported them en masse and contine to do so, its called multiculturalism

Yes my first thought was muslim working in de Gaulle but then I heard the plane was on its 4th or 5th flight that day (I assume to and from Egypt). Nothing is certain yet...
Reply 141
Original post by QE2
If you're gonna go, that's gotta be one hell of a rush! I'd rather that than a slow descent into dementia.

Well I mean I'd rather go in my sleep than die screaming X_X
like that feeling of dread knowing it's gonna end very soon and seeing your life flash before your eyes doe T_T
Reply 142
Original post by InnerTemple
People who fly regularly just remember that the flight is safer than the taxi to the airport.

Oh - and we abuse the free alcohol/pretzels.

the peanuts doe...
Original post by beta_tester
Unlikely to be a terrorist attack despite media scaremongering.

A terrorist would not set a bomb to explode 20 minutes before a plane lands. As the plane descends, the pressure difference between the inside and outside decreases. This pressure difference is what amplifies a small explosion into a 'catastrophic' plane crash.

It is far more likely, if it were a bomb, that it would explode 50 minutes to 2 hours into a 4 hour flight rather than 3:40 hours into it.

The Egyptian officials are raising the possibility of a terror attack so that fingers are pointed at France rather than them, given that three of their airliners have recently experienced incidents, one hijacking, one bombing and now this.

Except it exploded at cruise altitude 37000 feet
Unlikely to be a terrorist attack despite media scaremongering.

A terrorist would not set a bomb to explode 20 minutes before a plane lands..

Assuming, of course, that the bomb worked as designed and that it wasn't intended to have gone off on one of the aeroplane's earlier flights and that it wasn't carried by a passenger (like the Somali plane a few months ago) who only plucked up the courage to do the business at that time.
Original post by joecphillips
Except it exploded at cruise altitude 37000 feet

We don't know anything exploded.

And this still doesn't complement for the terrorist theory. Someone planting a bomb would not decide to set the bomb to go off 3:40 into a 4:00 is taking a massive risk, because as history shows, a bomb exploding at the wrong time fails to achieve its goal.

Another reason why this isn't complementary is because the flight was tracked to turn left and then a full right circle. An explosion at 37,000 feet would completely destroy it or blow it in half at least, so it wouldn't be capable of turning like that. So evidently something went wrong with the plane still intact
We don't know anything exploded.

And this still doesn't complement for the terrorist theory. Someone planting a bomb would not decide to set the bomb to go off 3:40 into a 4:00 is taking a massive risk, because as history shows, a bomb exploding at the wrong time fails to achieve its goal.

Another reason why this isn't complementary is because the flight was tracked to turn left and then a full right circle. An explosion at 37,000 feet would completely destroy it or blow it in half at least, so it wouldn't be capable of turning like that. So evidently something went wrong with the plane still intact

Yes but I was running with a bomb as you said it wasn't a bomb because of the altitude
Yes but I was running with a bomb as you said it wasn't a bomb because of the altitude

I said it was less likely to be a bomb because of the designated explosion time being so late into the flight.

This accident, in reality, is no different from any other plane crashes - but for some reason everyone today is jumping on the coincidence that it is EgyptAir and from Paris and are relating it to terror attacks.

I've studied all major plane crashes since 2014 in depth, MH370, MH17, QZ8501, Germanwings crash, EgyptAir, TaiwanAir, FlyDubai, etc... None of them were ever this hasty to jump onto the conclusion that it was most likely a terror attack - in fact, every single time, the people interviewed such as aviation experts have hastily dismissed the possibility of a terror attack.

In this scenario, we have no specific information to inform us that it was a bomb or a terror attack, other than the assumption because 'nothing went wrong until it happened'. QZ8501 stalled and crashed into the sea and sent no distress call, neither did France flight 447.

Chances are, its equally as likely that the plane experienced some kind of mechanical failure, or the pilots were somehow incapacitated, as a terror attack. Maybe the pilots had no time to react, or they were focused on stabilising the plane rather than sending a distress call, or some kind of power failure occurred.

Either way, this plane crash is no more suspicious than usual and people are needlessly associating two things with terrorism: the origin from Paris and the fact that it is EgyptAir.
I said it was less likely to be a bomb because of the designated explosion time being so late into the flight.

This accident, in reality, is no different from any other plane crashes - but for some reason everyone today is jumping on the coincidence that it is EgyptAir and from Paris and are relating it to terror attacks.

I've studied all major plane crashes since 2014 in depth, MH370, MH17, QZ8501, Germanwings crash, EgyptAir, TaiwanAir, FlyDubai, etc... None of them were ever this hasty to jump onto the conclusion that it was most likely a terror attack - in fact, every single time, the people interviewed such as aviation experts have hastily dismissed the possibility of a terror attack.

In this scenario, we have no specific information to inform us that it was a bomb or a terror attack, other than the assumption because 'nothing went wrong until it happened'. QZ8501 stalled and crashed into the sea and sent no distress call, neither did France flight 447.

Chances are, its equally as likely that the plane experienced some kind of mechanical failure, or the pilots were somehow incapacitated, as a terror attack. Maybe the pilots had no time to react, or they were focused on stabilising the plane rather than sending a distress call, or some kind of power failure occurred.

Either way, this plane crash is no more suspicious than usual and people are needlessly associating two things with terrorism: the origin from Paris and the fact that it is EgyptAir.

Qz8501 was climbing and stalled we know this plane wasn't climbing it was in level flight flightradar24 has a altitude of between 36975-37025 - highly unlikely to have stalled

No one knows about mh370 and lots of people have suspected terrorism

Mh17 it was known early that it was shot down with a missile.

Flydubai it was known early what the cause was

Taiwanair I can't find what was the flight code? Do you mean transasia? If so there was video evidence of it stalling.

Egyptair if you mean flight 181 hijacking people did think terrorism.

The reason people believe terrorism is that terrorism it is more likely to be terrorism than a mechanical failure as the conditions were pretty perfect for the flight that doesn't mean it was definitely terrorism.

Does the fact that all these experts say it is likely terrorism not make you believe it is likely terrorism?
(edited 7 years ago)
Qz8501 was climbing and stalled we know this plane wasn't climbing it was in level flight flightradar24 has a altitude of between 36975-37025 - highly unlikely to have stalled

No one knows about mh370 and lots of people have suspected terrorism

Mh17 it was known early that it was shot down with a missile.

Flydubai it was known early what the cause was

Taiwanair I can't find what was the flight code? Do you mean transasia? If so there was video evidence of it stalling.

Egyptair if you mean flight 181 hijacking people did think terrorism.

The reason people believe terrorism is that terrorism it is more likely to be terrorism than a mechanical failure as the conditions were pretty perfect for the flight that doesn't mean it was definitely terrorism.

Does the fact that all these experts say it is likely terrorism not make you believe it is likely terrorism?

My point isn't that it stalled, the point is something went wrong with the plane and the crew didn't even know until it was too late and they didn't send a distress signal. Something similar may have happened here.

I don't know why you're individually bringing up the flights I mentioned, the reason I mentioned them was because I followed the news stories about them for weeks and terrorism was never even hinted, and was dismissed by aviation experts interviewed - the point is, never in history has terrorism been immediately pinpointed to a plane crash in a similar situation, and there's nothing different about this one to warrant that case.

And I don't believe it was terrorism because it was a low impact target with only 66 passengers, Paris has formidable airport security, the plane experienced an incident almost at the end of its flight, the plane was intact and moving just after the incident and didn't break up into lots of pieces like MH17 or the earlier EgyptAir crash last year did.
My point isn't that it stalled, the point is something went wrong with the plane and the crew didn't even know until it was too late and they didn't send a distress signal. Something similar may have happened here.

I don't know why you're individually bringing up the flights I mentioned, the reason I mentioned them was because I followed the news stories about them for weeks and terrorism was never even hinted, and was dismissed by aviation experts interviewed - the point is, never in history has terrorism been immediately pinpointed to a plane crash in a similar situation, and there's nothing different about this one to warrant that case.

And I don't believe it was terrorism because it was a low impact target with only 66 passengers, Paris has formidable airport security, the plane experienced an incident almost at the end of its flight, the plane was intact and moving just after the incident and didn't break up into lots of pieces like MH17 or the earlier EgyptAir crash last year did.

Except terrorism is usually stated as one possible cause and the fact that these experts are saying it is more likely to be terrorism says it is likely to be terrorism just because they didn't say that it was in the past doesn't matter.

I brought up individual flights because you mentioned flights when it was known early what the cause was
Except terrorism is usually stated as one possible cause and the fact that these experts are saying it is more likely to be terrorism says it is likely to be terrorism just because they didn't say that it was in the past doesn't matter.

I brought up individual flights because you mentioned flights when it was known early what the cause was

These experts, like you and me, have nothing on the situation. The only thing they have is their credentials, but that doesn't change the fact that these people are absolutely in the dark as to what happened.

The reason people are labelling this as terrorism is because of Egypt, they claimed this was more likely to be a terrorist incident rather than mechanical failure. This is more likely because they want people looking to come to Egypt to ignore the fact that there have been serious incidents on three EgyptAir flights in the last year.

Nothing about the flight pattern indicates terrorism, as I said several times, it couldn't have been bombed because the plane was known to swerve left and then right into a full circle - a plane at 37,000 feet would have been obliterated into smaller pieces just like MH17 and the earlier EgyptAir planes were, except the EgyptAir one last year was at 31,000 feet - so a bomb on todays plane would most certainly have caused it to be destroyed completely and unable to perform this 'left and right turn'. Unless it was a tiny bomb which killed the crew only, but that seems less likely.

History shows that a bombed plane would rapidly drop altitude and speed, evidently something else happened here.
(edited 7 years ago)

I don't think the choice of target necessarily rules out terrorism.

A few people have questioned why terrorists would pick a fairly empty A320 rather than a much larger aircraft on a more 'high profile' route. But there are two points:

1) If this was a bomb which was planted, we don't know it was planted in Paris. It could have been planted at another airport where the Egypt Air plane was the 'best' target to be had.

2) The terrorists most probably don't really care about numbers. Sure they want to kill loads of people, but they also have other considerations. Egypt is a massive target for the likes of IS and the muslim brotherhood. They aim to destabilise the country - and going after its economy is a big part of the fight. Tourism is very important and taking out aircraft operating around the area is an assault on this key industry.

Also - just by being able to take down a plane, they have shown that they are capable. It doesn't really matter whether it was a regional jet with half a dozen people on board or an A380 packed to the rafters. The fact is, if this was terrorism, that a commercial airliner operating out of Europe was blown up in a post 9/11 world - with the intense airport security we all know and love (read hate).

Of course I'm not saying this was definitely a terrorist attack. Just some observations.
Original post by InnerTemple
I don't think the choice of target necessarily rules out terrorism.

A few people have questioned why terrorists would pick a fairly empty A320 rather than a much larger aircraft on a more 'high profile' route. But there are two points:

1) If this was a bomb which was planted, we don't know it was planted in Paris. It could have been planted at another airport where the Egypt Air plane was the 'best' target to be had.

2) The terrorists most probably don't really care about numbers. Sure they want to kill loads of people, but they also have other considerations. Egypt is a massive target for the likes of IS and the muslim brotherhood. They aim to destabilise the country - and going after its economy is a big part of the fight. Tourism is very important and taking out aircraft operating around the area is an assault on this key industry.

Also - just by being able to take down a plane, they have shown that they are capable. It doesn't really matter whether it was a regional jet with half a dozen people on board or an A380 packed to the rafters. The fact is, if this was terrorism, that a commercial airliner operating out of Europe was blown up in a post 9/11 world - with the intense airport security we all know and love (read hate).

Of course I'm not saying this was definitely a terrorist attack. Just some observations.

Yeah I know they wouldn't, Al-Shabab tried to bomb a passenger plane with less than 100 people not too long ago, but if you compare the flight patterns after the 'incident' between the last EgyptAir crash and this one, the last one shows a sudden loss of speed and altitude, apparently here, the plane swerves left and right - something a plane at 37,000 feet would probably not be able to do having been bombed
Yeah I know they wouldn't, Al-Shabab tried to bomb a passenger plane with less than 100 people not too long ago, but if you compare the flight patterns after the 'incident' between the last EgyptAir crash and this one, the last one shows a sudden loss of speed and altitude, apparently here, the plane swerves left and right - something a plane at 37,000 feet would probably not be able to do having been bombed

A theory I've heard is that a device could have compromised the aircraft without necessarily causing it to fall apart.

Tere have been a few incidents in the past where parts of aircraft at cruising altitude have had explosive decompressions without then disintegrating.
These experts, like you and me, have nothing on the situation. The only thing they have is their credentials, but that doesn't change the fact that these people are absolutely in the dark as to what happened.

The reason people are labelling this as terrorism is because of Egypt, they claimed this was more likely to be a terrorist incident rather than mechanical failure. This is more likely because they want people looking to come to Egypt to ignore the fact that there have been serious incidents on three EgyptAir flights in the last year.

Nothing about the flight pattern indicates terrorism, as I said several times, it couldn't have been bombed because the plane was known to swerve left and then right into a full circle - a plane at 37,000 feet would have been obliterated into smaller pieces just like MH17 and the earlier EgyptAir planes were, except the EgyptAir one last year was at 31,000 feet - so a bomb on todays plane would most certainly have caused it to be destroyed completely and unable to perform this 'left and right turn'. Unless it was a tiny bomb which killed the crew only, but that seems less likely.

History shows that a bombed plane would rapidly drop altitude and speed, evidently something else happened here.

Pan am 830 bomb exploded at 36000 feet 1 person died then the plane landed, are you sure that it would have definitely been destroyed in mid air if there was a bomb
Pan am 830 bomb exploded at 36000 feet 1 person died then the plane landed, are you sure that it would have definitely been destroyed in mid air if there was a bomb

Depends on the bomb used, but if this incident is even slightly similar to the other EgyptAir crash, the terrorists would know how much explosive to use. And so far no one has claimed responsibility, but by this time last time, ISIS had claimed responsibility.
So sad :frown: :'(

Heart goes out to all the families affected
WTH is going on right now?

First Egyptair says they have found the wreckage, now they retract the claim, then the US say they've found no evidence of an explosion????
That's so sad. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending