The Student Room Group

Ocr latin language tomorrow 17/05/2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meme259
For the condition things, it said 'condition/terms' in the vocab list-I put 'terms'-do you think this would get a mark?

obviously.
Original post by nega166
obviously.

... they aren't going to give you the wrong definition
Original post by PlinyTheElder
Hi could anyone explain how UMS works to me? Thanks

UMS works based on percentile of the country.
Let's say, in one year, only the top 10% of people sitting a Latin exam get 60/100 or more. This means 60/100 becomes equal to 90% UMS, despite the raw marks being only 60%. If 20% of people got 50/100 or above, then 50/100 becomes equal to 80% UMS, etc etc.

Essentially it ranks the country by percentile and thus the grade boundaries are set based on this (90% UMS is always an A*, 80% is always an A and so on).
Reply 83
How did everyone find the paper today?
Original post by fuzz13
How did everyone find the paper today?

Much easier than expected, however when it talked about her wounds, I didn't know what confectus meant and put 'having recieved'. Major or minor? Apart from that it was fine
Reply 85
Original post by jamesj477
Much easier than expected, however when it talked about her wounds, I didn't know what confectus meant and put 'having recieved'. Major or minor? Apart from that it was fine

I think it's probably major because not only is the vocab wrong, but if you put 'having received,' then the case of 'vulneribus' must have also been wrong in your translation.

That was a confusing sentence :s-smilie:
Reply 86

Yeah I thought it was fine too. You know the bit when she was speaking? I wrote "Wound me here!" but then crossed it out with 3 seconds to go...! I have a habit of doing this :colondollar:

I'd say minor but they might mark more harshly given it was a paper 2...

I forgot what confecta meant too, ive lost 2 marks for that line cuzz i also forgot 'very many' wounds. It was also, offering her stomach to him, she shouted out here kill me. What did u put for the bit when it was like the slave girl relinquis part? Its the surely not bit im on about
Yeah, it was okay; I can think where I dropped around 5 marks in hindsight, but other than that I think it was alright.

Not a very good story though :biggrin:
Original post by Castro300
I forgot what confecta meant too, ive lost 2 marks for that line cuzz i also forgot 'very many' wounds. It was also, offering her stomach to him, she shouted out here kill me. What did u put for the bit when it was like the slave girl relinquis part? Its the surely not bit im on about

I believe it was 'surely you won't also leave, will you?' although don't quote me on that because I translated 'num' as 'whether' :/

Also, wasn't it something along the lines of
'As soon as she saw him raise his sword, she understood why he had come. Offering her stomach to him she exclaimed 'wound me here!''
Reply 90
Original post by Empyreal
I believe it was 'surely you won't also leave, will you?' although don't quote me on that because I translated 'num' as 'whether' :/

Also, wasn't it something along the lines of
'As soon as she saw him raise his sword, she understood why he had come. Offering her stomach to him she exclaimed 'wound me here!''

I put 'surely you won't leave me as well?"

And yeah I think that's exactly right for the second bit.
Reply 91
If u put having been caused many wounds is that a major or minor
the terrified slaves had fled instead of had escaped --> minor mistake right?
Reply 93
Original post by tmg1999
the terrified slaves had fled instead of had escaped --> minor mistake right?

I would say so yeah
Where to begin! :frown::angry::rip:

Well any chance of an A* is long gone. Feeling pretty demoralised. Didn't realise the paper had "dixerat" (thought it was "ducerat" ). The part of the sword (I put sword bearing), I messed up the whole of the wounds part, the sentence of being wounded big time and the final sentence - just 1 Astrologer.

I can't believe this! I did okay in class! I was getting alright marks like 90%+ and it's all gone! : ((((((( I've never really failed an exam before and I don't know how to take it
(edited 7 years ago)
I thought it was quite difficult: 3 things...
Consilium eorum peteret - to seek their plan?
Hic me vulnera - wound me here?
Ausurus esse - dared?
Reply 96
Original post by DrSebWilkes
Where to begin! :frown::angry::rip:

Well any chance of an A* is long gone. Feeling pretty demoralised. Didn't realise the paper had "dixerat" (thought it was "ducerat" ). The part of the sword (I put sword bearing), I messed up the whole of the wounds part, the sentence of being wounded big time and the final sentence - just 1 Astrologer.

I can't believe this! I did okay in class! I was getting alright marks like 90%+ and it's all gone! : ((((((( I've never really failed an exam before and I don't know how to take it

Aw don't worry too much about it as there is nothing you can do now!:redface: I'm sure a number of people found this paper quite challenging :five:
Some of those will only be minors so you may not even lose a mark! I often find that I do better than I think so honestly don't worry! And you can always try to make up for it in the Lit papers :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by 14Abbott
I thought it was quite difficult: 3 things...
Consilium eorum peteret - to seek their plan?
Hic me vulnera - wound me here?
Ausurus esse - dared?

seek their advise
wound me here
would dare(future)
Original post by dance25
seek their advise
wound me here
would dare(future)

What would I get for seek their plan?
Reply 99
Original post by 14Abbott