The Student Room Group

AQA AS History Tudors 1485-1547 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by pixiejoanna
yep same but I also included about securing the threat of pretenders and
preventing rebellion!!??

Yeah that's right cos the treaty of etatples with France for example stopped war beck from being sheltered there thus allowing the capture of him and therefore avoiding any further threat
Reply 61
I actually messed up my entire AS History exam. I misread question 2 as Henry VIII and his foreign policy and didn't find out until after my exam that it was in fact, a question on Henry VII. Damn me, misreading and confusing Roman numerals, there goes Oxbridge hopes, I guess haha
Reply 62
Original post by Laokb
I actually messed up my entire AS History exam. I misread question 2 as Henry VIII and his foreign policy and didn't find out until after my exam that it was in fact, a question on Henry VII. Damn me, misreading and confusing Roman numerals, there goes Oxbridge hopes, I guess haha

Oh no you didn't really, that's so annoying I almost misread it as well but then realised when planning my answer
Reply 63
Original post by Saffiee
Oh no you didn't really, that's so annoying I almost misread it as well but then realised when planning my answer

Yeah, that's probably my AS gone as well haha, I was predicted an A as well, so that's aggravating. Guess I'll see if my college can help in any way
Reply 64
Oh yeah I also added in the conclusion that he really consolidate power? - rebellions and pretenders throughout reign?
Actually they were.
Royal Authority -> due to Cromwell's actions. I argued that his break with Rome was in fact to support his role as kings minister, and extend his Royal authority. Rather than to abandon the catholic faith, still linking it to the question.
Humanism -> This one is further abstract. I referenced the new thinking to show the way society was changing under Henry VIII, I showed that Henry had key humanists in his government. Yet he never removed these -> to an extent, shifting towards new methods of thinking and religion other than Catholicism.
Protestantism-> Fairly obvious, changed religious ideas.
i got Catherine parr, jane Seymour and Catherine howard mixed up...
Reply 67
Did anyone mention, with regard to agreeing with the statement and that his foreign policy was motivated by international prestige, that entering into a marriage alliance with the Aragon's, a European powerhouse, perhaps infers that Henry was to some extent motivated by international prestige? As it further consolidated his power whilst simultaneously gaining recognition for the Tudor dynasty within Europe? Valid point??
yh, I argues that Henry constantly changed his policies towards Catholicism and Protestantism to the relative "gain" they would give him at that certain period of time. For example the six articles was issued as a result of the treaty of nice....This in turn made him appear more catholic and would have enhanced his reputation with these countries decreasing the risk of an invasion.
Does anyone know the grade boundaries??
And if your conclusion's weak/non-existent, how many marks would you lose?
Original post by kdjos
Did anyone mention, with regard to agreeing with the statement and that his foreign policy was motivated by international prestige, that entering into a marriage alliance with the Aragon's, a European powerhouse, perhaps infers that Henry was to some extent motivated by international prestige? As it further consolidated his power whilst simultaneously gaining recognition for the Tudor dynasty within Europe? Valid point??

Yes I think I said that and that's why when Arthur died although initially Henry wanted Prince Henry to marry Catherine, after Spain became politically unstable with the Castilian Succession crisis, Henry didn't really want Henry to marry Catherine and said something about it never happening in his lifetime.

Eurgh but my own knowledge question was so badly structured I contradicted myself so much with trade and stuff and waffled badddly..
Reply 71
Original post by audrey_lh
Does anyone know the grade boundaries??And if your conclusion's weak/non-existent, how many marks would you lose?

I suppose that'd depend on the question. In Section B it's really important to have a conclusion, but apparently, at least based on what my teacher said, the interpretation 20-mark question doesn't necessarily need a conclusion. I'd say that in Section B you could lose something like five or six or potentially more (maybe) marks if you didn't conclude, especially considering the questions that tell you to assess. If the conclusion's weak, then it's still better than having no conclusion.

Sorry if this fills you with dread.
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't know if this is a valid point but I put the discoveries and expeditions of John Cabot in 1496/1497 could show expansionist aims of Henry VII, following in the footsteps of the Spanish and Portuguese, so could therefore he wanted to gain international prestige through English expansion, would they credit this?

Essentially I just banged on about how he wanted a secure dynasty and concluded it was more important than international prestige.

Thanks
Original post by KEC_Rob
I suppose that'd depend on the question. In Section B it's really important to have a conclusion, but apparently, at least based on what my teacher said, the interpretation 20-mark question doesn't necessarily need a conclusion. I'd say that in Section B you could lose something like five or six or potentially more (maybe) marks if you didn't conclude, especially considering the questions that tell you to assess. If the conclusion's weak, then it's still better than having no conclusion.

Sorry if this fills you with dread.

Wait there was a 20 marker?
You mean the 25 mark own knowledge question about Henry VII's foreign policy being bout international prestige or the Henry VIII religion question?
Reply 74
Original post by hapoomyi
Wait there was a 20 marker?
You mean the 25 mark own knowledge question about Henry VII's foreign policy being bout international prestige or the Henry VIII religion question?

Ah, I see... This is a different paper to the one I faced yesterday.

The paper I took featured interpretation questions (a 10 and 20 marker) on the Mid-Tudor crisis (1547-1558) and an own knowledge question (20 marker) regarding either Wolsey's domestic policy or the seriousness of the challenges faced by Henry VII.
Original post by KEC_Rob
Ah, I see... This is a different paper to the one I faced yesterday.

The paper I took featured interpretation questions (a 10 and 20 marker) on the Mid-Tudor crisis (1547-1558) and an own knowledge question (20 marker) regarding either Wolsey's domestic policy or the seriousness of the challenges faced by Henry VII.

Oh phew I got slightly worried there haha
Original person about the conclusion I don't think it's going to cost you 5 marks out of 25 just because you didn't write a conclusion- as long as you justified your paragraphs throughout!
My penultimate paragraph was the worst but meh not much I can do about it now.
Just hope next week's paper is as manageable as this one!
Reply 76
Original post by aiyanagayle
Remember that we will get a choice of two essay questions but the two types of questions (interpretation and essay) will be on the two different kings. So if the interpretation one is on Henry VII then the essay will be on Henry VIII and vice versa.

That's what I thought and ended up writing the 25 mark question on Henry VIIIs foreign policy not Henry VII 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by Laokb

I DID EXACTLY THE SAME THING! 0/25 here we come 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by Jordlay
I DID EXACTLY THE SAME THING! 0/25 here we come 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sucks as well, after writing out the whole answer, it will be alright. You can still end up with a high B or maybe even a low A if you ace Russia and the first question on the Tudor paper. Make sure to speak to your college though, I did and they've already said they would help me out in terms of UCAS and my uni references.
Reply 79
Original post by Laokb
Sucks as well, after writing out the whole answer, it will be alright. You can still end up with a high B or maybe even a low A if you ace Russia and the first question on the Tudor paper. Make sure to speak to your college though, I did and they've already said they would help me out in terms of UCAS and my uni references.

Yeah I'm revising so hard for the depth study, mines Italy and fascism though not Russia. Hope you get your A!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending