The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iMacJack
split it up into the sum of r = 1 to 12 of (9r^2-4r) + k lots of the sum of r = 1 to 12 of 2^r

put r = 1 in to get your a, your n = 12, use the sum of a geometric series formula, youll get a value, add the bits together, equate it to the value given, rearrange for k

Sorry mate but i dont follow this bit
Original post by connorbarr
bruh it says that in the textbook

I dont have the text book
Original post by OhsoIntrovert
Can someone please explain the answers to part (b) and (ii) of question 6 on the 2015 IAL paper
https://699d3c34b250207412778630ab10c15e39222eaf.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYd0pJSmxJSHozWVk/January%202015%20(IAL)%20MA%20-%20F1%20Edexcel.pdf

My answer to (b) was 150 clockwise? and in (ii) I don't understand how using
b^2 -4ac shows that det(M) is not equal to zero

Thank you!

Look in the formula booklet, you'll find a formula involving angles. Which angle would give you this result if you plug it in the formula?
Original post by yesyesyesno
Guys, can you do the f(k)=......=5m for an e.g divisible by 5 questions and then rearrange for one term and sub into f(k+1) for *every* divisibility induction question? I think it's my preferred method now. A reply would be much appreciated. :smile:

Yes you can. The method has been used on mark schemes (look a few posts above for an example). My teacher also taught us this method before the f(k+1)-f(k)

:biggrin: good luck to you tomorrow
Can someone please explain the answers to part (b) and (ii) of question 6 on the 2015 IAL paper
https://699d3c34b250207412778630ab10c15e39222eaf.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYd0pJSmxJSHozWVk/January%202015%20(IAL)%20MA%20-%20F1%20Edexcel.pdf

My answer to (b) was 150 clockwise? and in (ii) I don't understand how using
b^2 -4ac shows that det(M) is not equal to zero

Thank you!

for the discriminant bit, u get a quadratic when working out the determinant, and then if u out that equal to zero, u only get complex numbers for the roots, but it says that k is a real number so there are no roots where k is a real number meaning no values of k to get a det(M) = 0
Guys, can you do the f(k)=......=5m for an e.g divisible by 5 questions and then rearrange for one term and sub into f(k+1) for *every* divisibility induction question? I think it's my preferred method now. A reply would be much appreciated.
Original post by oShahpo
Look in the formula booklet, you'll find a formula involving angles. Which angle would give you this result if you plug it in the formula?

You're quite right. Although I just realised the angle will be a multiple of 45 in FP1 so that question is not part of our spec but good to know

Thanks for your help :smile:
for the discriminant bit, u get a quadratic when working out the determinant, and then if u out that equal to zero, u only get complex numbers for the roots, but it says that k is a real number so there are no roots where k is a real number meaning no values of k to get a det(M) = 0

and for that rotation thing, I swear we only have to do multiples of 45 degrees
Yes you can. The method has been used on mark schemes (look a few posts above for an example). My teacher also taught us this method before the f(k+1)-f(k)

:biggrin: good luck to you tomorrow

Thank you! Goodluck to you too if you're sitting it

Thanks! This makes sense now and was well explained :smile:
Original post by kingaaran
Sorry took awhile. Two methods. I'd prefer the second, but most would go for the first

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463683957.837743.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1463683974.020674.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you SO MUCH!!!
Guys, can you do the f(k)=......=5m for an e.g divisible by 5 questions and then rearrange for one term and sub into f(k+1) for *every* divisibility induction question? I think it's my preferred method now. A reply would be much appreciated. :smile:

Hey mate
Could you do me a favour and explain how your method would work for this?

https://gyazo.com/ef16da65fc0475a8ce387015bbd6bb08

Thanks!!!
Original post by iMacJack
Split it up into the sum of r = 1 to 12 of (9r^2-4r) + k lots of the sum of r = 1 to 12 of 2^r

put r = 1 in to get your a, your n = 12, use the sum of a geometric series formula, youll get a value, add the bits together, equate it to the value given, rearrange for k

was k = 2/15?
Original post by tazza ma razza
was k = 2/15?

Yes
Original post by alfmeister
No I haven't as Im on my phone now so don't have the link

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the link for it please http://crashmaths.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Coordinate-Systems-Worksheet.pdf question 14b, thanks so much :smile:
You're quite right. Although I just realised the angle will be a multiple of 45 in FP1 so that question is not part of our spec but good to know

Thanks for your help :smile:

Glad to have helped :biggrin:
Well just did June 2014 and got 72/75 (lost 3 marks because I got my negative signs mixed up :colondollar:) so that has boosted my confidence :biggrin:
Original post by economicss
This is the link for it please http://crashmaths.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Coordinate-Systems-Worksheet.pdf question 14b, thanks so much :smile:

What have you done so far? Do you have equations of the tangents to both points P and Q. You then need to equate the equations of the tangents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please reply to my last post.. :smile:
Original post by alfmeister
What have you done so far? Do you have equations of the tangents to both points P and Q. You then need to equate the equations of the tangents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey with divisibility proofs, what is the let f(k) = bla bla method?

Cheers! (n how would I do it for the one I posted a few posts above)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending