The Student Room Group

UK the third most welcoming country for refugees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kieran1996
The UK has democracy.

Do you even understand what that means?

We are all allowed to vote.

Yes and if you are voting on the basis of open borders and aren't taking a migrant into your own home then you are a hypocrite and deserve no say on the issue.

Also most of these open border fools are long-term unemployed, so as far as I'm concerned they have no skin in the game and so have nothing to add on matters of economy.
Original post by Jebedee
Yes and if you are voting on the basis of open borders and aren't taking a migrant into your own home then you are a hypocrite and deserve no say on the issue.

Also most of these open border fools are long-term unemployed, so as far as I'm concerned they have no skin in the game and so have nothing to add on matters of economy.

How does saying we should have open borders mean we should? Just because we say that doesn't mean we don't think everyone should work and provide for themselves

Okay... You're either a troll or fool. Give me a source that says most are long term unemployed? Considering 57% of people in the UK want to vote in favour of remaining in the EU your statement makes no sense. Unless you don't realise only 5% of people in the UK are unemployed.
cool
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by M14B
You can take as many as you want, so long as they are in your house.
PS : Do you mean migrants?

Nah, I'm on about the Syrian and Iraqi refugees. I wouldn't mind taking a few refugees in my house. Anyways, we should do more, and the US as well, because we have caused chaos in the middle east, especially in Iraq and Syria.

Can you imagine if we were in their shoes, and the whole world turned its back on us? I know some of the refugees are opportunists, but I'm on about the children and families, who deserve a warm bed at night. They can come to the UK, get an education, and contribute to the British society.
Original post by Kieran1996
How does saying we should have open borders mean we should? Just because we say that doesn't mean we don't think everyone should work and provide for themselves

Okay... You're either a troll or fool. Give me a source that says most are long term unemployed? Considering 57% of people in the UK want to vote in favour of remaining in the EU your statement makes no sense. Unless you don't realise only 5% of people in the UK are unemployed.

Because we know that the employment rate for migrants is insanely low. Hence why they all rely on social support. You just want to be generous with other people's money and not your own.

I shouldn't have to prove that there is a whole generation of liberal millennials who are out of work, we already know it. Unemployment is at a ten year low. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35594650

The unemployment rate doesn't include the long term unemployed btw so it isn't such a useful stat.
Original post by M14B
You can take as many as you want, so long as they are in your house.
PS : Do you mean migrants?

Migrants are people moving from one country to another for reasons such as economic gain, to join family or for other economic or social reasons.
Refugees are fleeing countries because their lives are in real danger. They are fleeing from dangerous environments where they are threatened. If you were in a war torn country and bombs were landing in your garden everyday, would you not want to flee? Your kind of opinion is selfish and arrogant. These "migrants" are refugees and they are people, not statistics.
Original post by Jebedee
Because we know that the employment rate for migrants is insanely low. Hence why they all rely on social support. You just want to be generous with other people's money and not your own.

I shouldn't have to prove that there is a whole generation of liberal millennials who are out of work, we already know it. Unemployment is at a ten year low. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35594650

The unemployment rate doesn't include the long term unemployed btw so it isn't such a useful stat.

You are ludicrous. Not all are on social support, stop being arrogant and go live/work in the real world mate and then you'd see just how many migrants work.

Are you not good at reading? You just said yourself unemployment is at a 10 year low hence people are IN work... Please read the whole article too: "More than 31.4 million people are in work, the highest figure since records began in 1971."

Also the article itself says there are huge vacancies... So if we left the EU and had less migrants then what makes you think these vacancies will suddenly fill up???
Reply 27
Original post by Foo.mp3
IKR? Although only if it were BB style e.g. we could send security in before they were able to seriously abuse their 'privilege' - wouldn't want any harms comparable to those her class of people are perfectly content to visit upon the great unwashed to befall the fair maid :horse:

I wonder if she'd change her tune after being enriched multiple times. It wouldn't be the first time a middle class, cocooned, white woman benefits from third world enrichment yet still finds a way to somehow dismiss it all or blame it on the white man.
Original post by Foo.mp3

They're happy to execute people for all sorts - not sure theirs is a model we should be all that keen to emulate! :erm:

No but you can't deradicalised extremists after a point. They are broken humans and there's nothing left to do with them.
Original post by Jebedee

Do you know what the unemployment rate is and what it counts?

Which unemployment rate are you using that excludes long term unemployment and where are you getting it from?
Reply 30
Something something cucks something something downfall of grorious western civilization

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by godofwine
, and the US as well, because we have caused chaos in the middle east, especially in Iraq and Syria.

Bolded: explain how.
Original post by queen-bee
Isn't this a good thing? Shows we have a big heart :h:

I'll give you this: you're the only person so far of the political position that encourages this sort of thing to come in and be complimentary about the fact that we as a country are doing this. It shows a consistency in principal and position.

Pretty much all the others have just come in to slag people off, which to me goes to show that slagging off people (especially Britain) is the basis for their entire thought process. I'll commend you for not being like that (unlike countless posters here).
Original post by scrotgrot
I thought right-wingers wanted those who care about immigrants to take them into their private homes. Because "if they care so much they should take all the responsibility and cost while I get to be selfish and be rewarded financially for it too".

But no, apparently that is wrong too.

Could it be that these right-wingers just hate foreigners?

Have you ever posted a single thing in this section that wasn't slagging off people of a different political position to yourself? I swear, everything you post here is just negative, bitter, partisan babble. What a bore.

Surely this poll is good news for you as you? How about a positive post, saying this is nice to hear or whatever like Queen Bee? But you just can't bring yourself to do it, can you? You never ever say anything positive about anything. Even when good news comes your instinct is to slate people lol. Cheer up!
Original post by KimKallstrom
Have you ever posted a single thing in this section that wasn't slagging off people of a different political position to yourself? I swear, everything you post here is just negative, bitter, partisan babble. What a bore.

Surely this poll is good news for you as you? How about a positive post, saying this is nice to hear or whatever like Queen Bee? But you just can't bring yourself to do it, can you? You never ever say anything positive about anything. Even when good news comes your instinct is to slate people lol. Cheer up!

I can't because I don't think these refugees should be provided for by private individuals at their own expense. I don't like charity. It's nice that they want to but it's outweighed by the fact that they shouldn't have to.
Original post by godofwine
We should take in more refugees, especially since Germany is taking in over 1 million refugees.

"refugees"
Original post by scrotgrot
I thought right-wingers wanted those who care about immigrants to take them into their private homes. Because "if they care so much they should take all the responsibility and cost while I get to be selfish and be rewarded financially for it too".

But no, apparently that is wrong too.

Could it be that these right-wingers just hate foreigners?

Remind me how much the UK people give away each year in charity and aid to these foreigners they supposedly hate ... comic relief, sport relief, international charities like save the children and so forth.

You are a blubbering hateful angry person
(edited 7 years ago)
seen a horde of somalis today not a word of english. anyone want to attempt to tell me there not a drain on the state???
The fact that Turkey are hosting millions and Jordan are spending a 1/4 of their national budget on assisting refugees really puts things into perspective. The UK govt are doing sweet fa in comparison.
I'd like to see the "how would you like a refugee in YOUR house???" line of argument used on other things.

"Why do you support funding the NHS, would YOU treat a cancer victim?"

"Why do you support housing benefit, would YOU let a person in working poverty live with you?"

It's a dumb argument. We're not advocating private charity towards the refugees (although it is welcome). We're asking the government to deliver on its welfare state responsibility to provide for the disadvantaged. The myths get peddled about how we're full, we can't afford it but it's not true and we have a moral responsibility for these refugees.

Quick Reply

Latest