The Student Room Group

ISAs

I got A*/A*/A in my ISAs how much of a factor are they in bumping up my grades
Reply 1
They count for 25% of your grade i believe
Reply 2
Original post by Teenw123
I got A*/A*/A in my ISAs how much of a factor are they in bumping up my grades

(AQA Chemistry, Biology and Physics, right?).
They have the same weighting as each of your exam papers: 25%. A*/A*/A is pretty strong!:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CaptErin
(AQA Chemistry, Biology and Physics, right?).
They have the same weighting as each of your exam papers: 25%. A*/A*/A is pretty strong!:smile:

Say for chemistry I get A/A/B in my exams and factor in my A in the ISA do you think I'd get an A overall. Thanks
Reply 4
Say for chemistry I get A/A/B in my exams and factor in my A in the ISA do you think I'd get an A overall. Thanks

I'd imagine so, it all depends on the UMS boundaries; for an A* you need 360 UMS points, for an A you need 320.

Working on the absolute minimum mark for each grade:
ISA - A = 80 UMS
C1HP - A = 80 UMS
C2HP - A = 80 UMS
C3HP - B = 70 UMS
UMS = 310 = B, but that's 10 UMS away from an A and that's based on you getting the absolute minimum marks possible for each grade (say you got 1 mark away from an A on the C3 paper, that would be 78 UMS).

I don't know if that makes sense really, but the most likely circumstance is that yes, you would get an A. Sorry, I'm quite tired so it blurbles a bit! I hope that helps anyway:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by CaptErin
I'd imagine so, it all depends on the UMS boundaries; for an A* you need 360 UMS points, for an A you need 320.

Working on the absolute minimum mark for each grade:
ISA - A = 80 UMS
C1HP - A = 80 UMS
C2HP - A = 80 UMS
C3HP - B = 70 UMS
UMS = 310 = B, but that's 10 UMS away from an A and that's based on you getting the absolute minimum marks possible for each grade (say you got 1 mark away from an A on the C3 paper, that would be 78 UMS).

I don't know if that makes sense really, but the most likely circumstance is that yes, you would get an A. Sorry, I'm quite tired so it blurbles a bit! I hope that helps anyway:smile:

Yeah, it does thanks so how many marks in the test paper do you think 90 UMS would be
does the overall grade go off UMS?
Reply 7
Yeah, it does thanks so how many marks in the test paper do you think 90 UMS would be

90 is an A*, so it's usually between 47 and 50 marks for the unit 1 and unit 2 papers, and between 40 and 50 marks for the unit 3 papers :smile:

You can see all the grade boundaries on the AQA website:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2015.PDF (last year's boundaries)

...and can convert your marks on past papers to UMS using the UMS calculator (although it's a bit over complicated):
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

...and then cross-reference your total UMS score for each subject with the UMS boundaries:
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF

To figure out what you would have gotten :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by jazz_xox_
does the overall grade go off UMS?

Yes :smile: your individual marks are given a UMS equivalent, and the UMS marks for each paper are added up to a total and then this is compared to the UMS boundaries to decide your grade :smile:

So if you got an A* on every paper, you'll get an A* overall, but if you got three A*s and an A, you could either get an A* or an A depending on your total UMS marks, as crazy as it seems!

Quick Reply

Latest