The Student Room Group

2016 AQA GCSE Chemistry Unofficial mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Unfortunately, i made some silly mistakes when looking back at this. I have got about 47/48 marks when calculating this so hopefully i get a secure A at least. Btw does anybody know how many marks roughly you would have to get in past papers to get 100UMS points?
around 30-33 marks what grade would this be ?
With the question that asked about making changes to the apparatus, could saying use a better thermometer with a better resolution for more accurate results, be acceptable?
Reply 463
I got roughly about 40 marks hoping for an A. The paper was easy but was it necessarily easier than last year's exam? I hope the grade boundaries stay the same or decrease.
Reply 464
Original post by Deniz-Denz
im so lucky that all my isa grades are A or above, i guess i will need to get A*s all the 1's and 2's and a high a for the 3's in order to get A* for all 3 of em

I got a 100 ums in my chem isa. Thank god cause I always make silly mistakes in exams. According to this mark scheme I've got about 40 marks hope it's an A or worst comes to worst a B. If I get an A* in C2 and an A* in C3 (the grade boundaries for this exam is usually low- 40 for an A* last year) will my grade be an A or A* if i get a B in the C1 exam?
Reply 465
Original post by SmithAmelia
With the question that asked about making changes to the apparatus, could saying use a better thermometer with a better resolution for more accurate results, be acceptable?

I put a temperature probe to detect changes in temperature lol.
Original post by Dj3824
I put a temperature probe to detect changes in temperature lol.

That would definitely be one mark at least.
Reply 467
That would definitely be one mark at least.

pheww. Digital thermometer sounds like a better answ but hopefully i'll get at least a mark for saying temp probe :smile:. Btw, how many marks do uthink you got from looking at the mark scheme?
Original post by Dj3824
pheww. Digital thermometer sounds like a better answ but hopefully i'll get at least a mark for saying temp probe :smile:. Btw, how many marks do uthink you got from looking at the mark scheme?

I wonder If Increasing size of flame for surface area counts for anything. I mean... If you think about it, it does make sense to have a bigger flame for the purposes stated right? RIGHT?
Original post by Dj3824

Around 48. Do you know what grades are required to get an A* overall if you have a high A in the ISA, and an A in chem1?
Reply 470
Around 48. Do you know what grades are required to get an A* overall if you have a high A in the ISA, and an A in chem1?

I'm guessing two high solid A*s in your 2's and 3's. The grade boundaries for c3 are usually low so if you get a solid A* in that and a good A* in C2 which has decent grade boundaries you could get an A*. Honestly it all depends on the UMS points; if you do well in your unit2s and unit3s then you can get that A*. Good luck xD.
Original post by Dj3824
I'm guessing two high solid A*s in your 2's and 3's. The grade boundaries for c3 are usually low so if you get a solid A* in that and a good A* in C2 which has decent grade boundaries you could get an A*. Honestly it all depends on the UMS points; if you do well in your unit2s and unit3s then you can get that A*. Good luck xD.

Thanks, Good Luck
Reply 472
Thanks, Good Luck

Thanks!
Hey guys, I mentioned a ceramic catalyst, is that wrong? Did I have to mention Aluminum Oxide or a Hot catalyst?
Original post by Dj3824
I got a 100 ums in my chem isa. Thank god cause I always make silly mistakes in exams. According to this mark scheme I've got about 40 marks hope it's an A or worst comes to worst a B. If I get an A* in C2 and an A* in C3 (the grade boundaries for this exam is usually low- 40 for an A* last year) will my grade be an A or A* if i get a B in the C1 exam?

Yeah it's do able

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 45 ish on the Biology and then 50 ish on the Chemistry.

Forever chilling on those A/A* boundaries, fml, can I just get a secure mark for once please 🙄😂
Original post by ibte10
Unfortunately, i made some silly mistakes when looking back at this. I have got about 47/48 marks when calculating this so hopefully i get a secure A at least. Btw does anybody know how many marks roughly you would have to get in past papers to get 100UMS points?

I was looking at the UMS page on the AQA yesterday and got all sciences to get 100 UMS you need to get 59 or 60 marks. 58 would be 99 and all that jazz. If you check their website they will have a table with the UMS per marks you get.
Good luck for the remaining exams.
Original post by blueribbons99
Yeah it's do able

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! I'm on the same boat as you. Well kinda. I think I got a B, so now I need to get two A*s for an overall grade of an A* or two As/ one A and one A* to get an overall grade of an A. Calculated everything last night. I was so upset as my C1 didn't go so well.

Good luck!
was anyone confident on the distillation of ethanol and water question?

I said heat them both to evaporate them, then cool to 100C so the water condenses and can be tapped off. Then cool to 78C so the ethanol condenses.

Feedback would be appreciated :-)
i wrote add a lid to prevent heat from escaping and then crossed it out and wrote keeping the hydrocarbons in for more than 2 minutes for clear results. ugsdshhdh man i hate it when this happens

Quick Reply