The Student Room Group

10 reasons to vote Leave

Scroll to see replies

1: Rubbish. See Obama. People that think people will give us a better deal on our own are mental. It's about as realistic as Cornwall getting a better trade deal with China outside the UK.

2: but we won't because we'll be in a recession. As the treasury select committee made Christmas clear when interviewing Vote Leave- they will be unable to maintain current levels of spending.

3: freedom of movement is a two way thing and is almost always economically beneficial. A recent LSE study has shown that EU migration has had no discernible impact on wages. In any case vote leave have quote sensibly said they won't be deporting anyone (because they're virtually all on work and socially useful eg warehousing and agriculture) and most of the people from Europe who would move have moved. Also we're not part of schengen

4: Meh. Legal systems not that great. Also we helped set up the ECHR and win a lot of the cases.5: apart from the ones we want which is the majority. To be honest I quite like regulation but if you want a U.S. Style economic system then yeah you should leave.

6: Disputed. That's not what HMRC are saying.

7: we already have the best employment and economy in Europe despite it apparently weighing us down...

8: How? (Fish don't recognise borders)

9: what? On welfare that was something that David Cameron did negotiate out of

10: Like what? The death penalty?

@iEthan
Reply 41
Original post by 16characterlimit
You cant compare the Science funding with the entire EU budget contribution you make, that's like going "wow we spend so little on pensions as a proportion of our entire GDP!"

The headline figure for the in campaign is literally £10 for every £1 we put in.

That figure's objectively false, though. Someone did the working out in another thread, and it comes to this (as the most accurate, unbiased figure.)

Original post by CherishFreedom
The correct statistics for 2015 are as below:
Annual contribution: £18 billion
Rebate: -£5 billion
Total before EU spending on the UK: £13 billion
EU spending on the UK: -£4.5 billion
Net contribution: £8.5 billionOne thing to note is that we do not get to decide the area and projects in which the EU spends in the UK. This might be the reason why some prefer to use the £13 billion figure because we have no control on who's going to benefit. Despite this I think the fairest figure to use is £8.5 billion.
This calculates to an average net daily payment of £23.3 million.
Original post by Keyhofi
Voting in because I might want to work in the EU in the future. I'd rather not limit my job opportunities over something as petty as EU membership. Everyone knows the UK generates way more graduates than it has jobs for. We need access to larger job markets.

So you're just selfish and you only consider your personal job preferences (which may never materialise) as opposed to looking at the wider picture?

I'm unfortunately too young to vote but to me it is crystal clear that Britain ought to leave the EU; I am sick of all the scaremongering from the Remain campaign!!
Reply 43
Original post by Davij038
1: Rubbish. See Obama. People that think people will give us a better deal on our own are mental. It's about as realistic as Cornwall getting a better trade deal with China outside the UK.

2: but we won't because we'll be in a recession. As the treasury select committee made Christmas clear when interviewing Vote Leave- they will be unable to maintain current levels of spending.

3: freedom of movement is a two way thing and is almost always economically beneficial. A recent LSE study has shown that EU migration has had no discernible impact on wages. In any case vote leave have quote sensibly said they won't be deporting anyone (because they're virtually all on work and socially useful eg warehousing and agriculture) and most of the people from Europe who would move have moved. Also we're not part of schengen

4: Meh. Legal systems not that great. Also we helped set up the ECHR and win a lot of the cases.5: apart from the ones we want which is the majority. To be honest I quite like regulation but if you want a U.S. Style economic system then yeah you should leave.

6: Disputed. That's not what HMRC are saying.

7: we already have the best employment and economy in Europe despite it apparently weighing us down...

8: How? (Fish don't recognise borders)

9: what? On welfare that was something that David Cameron did negotiate out of

10: Like what? The death penalty?

@iEthan

You realise Obama is out of office this year, right? He isn't relevant.
Original post by EuanF
Ah yes, the ever reliable EU funded CBI.
Are you disbuting the facts stated about the trade deal worths?
Also, I love how that source tries to imply that the Commonwealth wouldn't want to trade with us :biggrin:

CBI is non-profit and British.
Reply 45
A yes the ever relia- oh wait the out campaign doesn't even have sources to criticize. Here's another scalding statement on your fantasy though:

https://www.blackrock.com/institutions/en-us/compliance/terms-and-conditions?targetUrl=%2Finstitutions%2Fen-us%2Finsights%2Fmarkets%2Fmulti-asset%2Fbrexit-big-risk-little-reward

This still isn't addressing my point. Yes or no, does the EU only have a little over £5 tn in trade agreements?
Reply 46
Original post by Keyhofi
CBI is non-profit and British.

And funded hugely by the EU.

"Between 2009 and 2015, the CBI received £955,484 from the European Commission. This equates to 12% of the CBI’s retained income in the same period."
Original post by Banana00
So you're just selfish and you only consider your personal job preferences (which may never materialise) as opposed to looking at the wider picture?

I'm unfortunately too young to vote but to me it is crystal clear that Britain ought to leave the EU; I am sick of all the scaremongering from the Remain campaign!!

Nah, it's not just me. It's for all my friends in uni right now too, and those who have graduated. No one wants to get stuck on benefits ever. The entire future generations depend on this vote. We simply don't have enough jobs to go around.
Reply 48
Kind of like Trump.

What's your deal with Trump? Are you one of those kind of politically "active" people?
Reply 49
Original post by Keyhofi
Nah, it's not just me. It's for all my friends in uni right now too, and those who have graduated. No one wants to get stuck on benefits ever. The entire future generations depend on this vote. We simply don't have enough jobs to go around.

Now, I wonder what correlation the lack of jobs has to do with our joining the EU and rapidly declining industry?
Original post by Keyhofi

The fact that 'it's not just you' who thinks like that makes the situation even more worrying - also, how would there be more jobs if we were to stay in the EU?
Original post by EuanF
And funded hugely by the EU.

"Between 2009 and 2015, the CBI received £955,484 from the European Commission. This equates to 12% of the CBI’s retained income in the same period."

Hold on a minute, the EU is supporting our industry, our jobs, and the 190 000 businesses the CBI represents? Darn, I thought they were just trying to steal our money this entire time. Yes, I think I remember someone earlier in the thread saying that. Ah well, guess your statement just proved them wrong :smile:
Original post by EuanF

His successor Clinton has said the same thing (and yes, it will be Clinton- you don't become president through upsetting half he population)

Obama is very relevant- even though polling showed that the UK didn't appreciate him coming here and having a view on what trade policies the U.S. Will have with Britain (the sheer audacity of the man...) he us still leagues above any British politician in terms of popularity with the British public.
I think a non-biased source should present the information for everyone voting because quite frankly, some people don't even know where the UK or Europe is on a map, let alone why they should make a key once in a life time decision that will affect future generations.
Original post by EuanF
Now, I wonder what correlation the lack of jobs has to do with our joining the EU and rapidly declining industry?

Industry declines anyway. Whether we were in the EU or not, competition has forced us out.
Reply 55
Original post by Davij038
His successor Clinton has said the same thing (and yes, it will be Clinton- you don't become president through upsetting half he population)

Obama is very relevant- even though polling showed that the UK didn't appreciate him coming here and having a view on what trade policies the U.S. Will have with Britain (the sheer audacity of the man...) he us still leagues above any British politician in terms of popularity with the British public.

Clinton and Trump are polling pretty evenly, it's too early to call it yet.
Original post by EuanF

FINALLY - I've found someone who also realises this! :h::h:
Original post by Keyhofi
Hold on a minute, the EU is supporting our industry, our jobs, and the 190 000 businesses the CBI represents? Darn, I thought they were just trying to steal our money this entire time. Yes, I think I remember someone earlier in the thread saying that. Ah well, guess your statement just proved them wrong :smile:

It's not just them- NATO, our other allies, our universities, our trade unions, etc etc all are in the pockets of the EU apart from Trump and Putin who have our best interests at heart.
Original post by Banana00
The fact that 'it's not just you' who thinks like that makes the situation even more worrying - also, how would there be more jobs if we were to stay in the EU?

More access to jobs. Not more jobs. Sure, there are many jobs linked to the EU, and sure there will be sudden and sustained unemployment in the immediate time after leaving, but things would stabilise again in the long run (I honestly think a few years would be sufficient). The only difference is that it would be harder to access the wide range of jobs out there in foreign countries if we left.
That's all well and good but the real issue is the impact on the economy and especially certain sectors of the economy, such as financial services. Some of the largest corporations have already warned that they will reduce the amount of business they do in the UK if we leave the EU- for example, certain banks have warned that they might cut jobs in the UK and move some people to Paris.

Also, the EU is a massive market for us- we trade so much with the other EU countries and I don't see how Brexit can possibly have a positive impact on this. In fact, hundreds of thousands of jobs are at stake.

Not to mention that we get £10 back for every £1 that we invest into the EU.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending