The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

It's a specimen paper so there aren't any grade boundaries, and they probably won't be that high
Original post by amalick1029
appaz there are no real grade boundaries (one of the teachers at my school had an argument with OCR over the phone bc they're thinking that our grade boundaries will be somewhat high)

Did your school/college give rough grade boundaries at all?

We used:
91% A*,
75ish% A,
67% B,
58-60% C
48-50% D
45% E
44% and under u

Wow my school are operating on the assumption that the grade boundaries will be really low, 65%-ish for an A?
Original post by Leona-L
Wow my school are operating on the assumption that the grade boundaries will be really low, 65%-ish for an A?

I guess that just highlights the fact that nobody knows whats going to happen
Original post by Leona-L

My School just used 80%- A, 70%- B, 60%- C etc, but I cannot imagine the grade boundaries even being that high to be honest, unless the actual examination is a lot more straight forward and its mark scheme is a lot more lenient then the practice paper was
Reply 204
Hey, does anybody know if chi-squared and t test is on the spec? Not really sure what they even are so any help is appreciated!
Original post by Ozil5
Hey, does anybody know if chi-squared and t test is on the spec? Not really sure what they even are so any help is appreciated!

Student T-test is, not sure about chi-squared though.

If you have the pearson textbook, it's in data skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ozil5

Yeah they are, there's another syllabus with just maths skills on it (chi squared, simpsons index, t tests etc.). If you use that clapped purple textbook I don't think it's in there, but chi squared is actually pretty easy once you've done a few questions on it.

T tests I don't actually understand and apparently theres 2 kinds that we need to know, but I have philosophy & C2 to worry about first.
There are a few resources for this stuff, my school gave some thin Collins skills book, the Cambridge I A level textbook (which is bloody huge so wouldn't use it), and some resources on this stuff from AQA, edexcel etc. Try physicsandmathstutor Biology Revision, they divide it by module I think.
has anyone's teacher emailed you the practice papers?
Original post by wojiaoshakira
has anyone's teacher emailed you the practice papers?

No but we did them as mocks. So I got 53% in depth, and 49% in breadth.

Depth paper had 6 markers about the heart pressure graph stuff, and I think another one about evolution or biodiversity or something. There was a lot on module 4, not as much on module 3 and a bit on module 2.

Breadth paper had very mixed multiple choice, mostly module 2 and 3. There was majority a lot on practicals, practical skills, like making an experiment more reliable and stuff, limitations of experiments, there was a 2 marker on what opsonins do, and i think a 4 marker on how the xylem forms from meristem cells.
Reply 209
This is a new specification, teachers have no idea what it's going to be like, how questions will be structured etc. I do not expect high grade boundaries.. Hopefully they won't make it very difficult and the mark schemes won't be too harsh.
Original post by amalick1029
appaz there are no real grade boundaries (one of the teachers at my school had an argument with OCR over the phone bc they're thinking that our grade boundaries will be somewhat high)

Did your school/college give rough grade boundaries at all?

We used:
91% A*,
75ish% A,
67% B,
58-60% C
48-50% D
45% E
44% and under u

Original post by M0nkey Thunder
But you can't get an A* at AS? Unless this is for next year though I'm not sure it's going to be called "breadth" then...

Original post by matt1306
Okay thank you, I shall grade my practise goes on those, in which case I got a high D which is all I need to pass onto next year at my school so slight positive.

Nope, my school has told me nothing at all, and I don't think OCR have told them anything. Everyone, is unfortunately in the dark about everything.

In case you guys want it. Technocrat Notes have Finally an apple appstore
app yes!!

Applehttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/technocrat-notes/id1111953817?ls=1&mt=8

Googlehttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Technocratnotes.a pp&hl=en_GB
Original post by HydiYeung
Does anyone have the Unit H020 and H420 practice papers which are locked on the OCR website???

Hey I do PM me your email address and Il send you them!
Hi, I have a question you know on the specification it says things like "The preparation and examination of microscope slides for use in light microscopy" PAG1 Do I need to know how to do this for the exam or is it just an opportunity for the practical endorsement? Bit confused as Ive been learning everything that has PAG1 next to it but I'm now unsure if I need to actually know it? Sorry if this doesn't make much sense!
Original post by 0799NCB
Hi, I have a question you know on the specification it says things like "The preparation and examination of microscope slides for use in light microscopy" PAG1 Do I need to know how to do this for the exam or is it just an opportunity for the practical endorsement? Bit confused as Ive been learning everything that has PAG1 next to it but I'm now unsure if I need to actually know it? Sorry if this doesn't make much sense!

I think it's both because, and please don't quote me on this, they can ask you about how and why staining and waxing specimen is important. It can also be asked in some practical questions in the exam. I think...
Guys try this, it has playlist of videos for most topic including OCR chem and bio.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxfPV7gc6XL9vc4zsajQfGw
Original post by 0799NCB

You will need to know microsopy details, like how to produce a slide for specimen, staining, the lens names. ect for the exam. It's more that they can ask you anything in general about what the pags have been about, but I doubt they will be extremely specific, its more about the overall understanding of the correct procedure of using the equipment/techniques for any pags
Original post by SolomonP
You will need to know microsopy details, like how to produce a slide for specimen, staining, the lens names. ect for the exam. It's more that they can ask you anything in general about what the pags have been about, but I doubt they will be extremely specific, its more about the overall understanding of the correct procedure of using the equipment/techniques for any pags

So is it unlikely they will ask like explain step by step how to do a serial dilution and instead maybe just say like name the procedure/method the student has done or like suggest an experiment the student could do?
Hi Guys,
i was wondering what your predictions are for the longer mark questions. For example, i feel like the examiners are going to put in a question asking us to describe the the cardiac cycle, or to explain the process of Translocation and transpiration.
What do you think?
Original post by Sky14107836285
Hi Guys,
i was wondering what your predictions are for the longer mark questions. For example, i feel like the examiners are going to put in a question asking us to describe the the cardiac cycle, or to explain the process of Translocation and transpiration.
What do you think?

I feel like there would be something about immunity or about biodiversity.

I'm really hoping that Bohr shift comes up though as a longer mark question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 219
how much do we need to know about plant defenses? my textbook has many different plant defenses and names for the chemicals produced, should i learn those?
also how much should we know about laser confocal microscopes?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending