The Student Room Group

Potentially failed AS Pschology and giving up on uni dreams

(Long waffly paragraph alert) So I had my AS Psychology paper 1 on Mon 16th May and let's just say I definitely will NOT get an A on that paper, though I do have paper 2 next Monday so hopefully I can redeem myself. However I'm just going to assume now that I've got at least a D, and at most a B. The thing is I really want to go to Oxford for uni to study English. I got 7 A*s, 2 As and a B at GCSE and I'm predicted an A/B for psychology (ha) at AS. I'm just worried that because I've potentially got a lower grade than I was hoping, I'm not going to be able to get in. I've been on study days and I'm pretty sure I have the right GCSEs to get in, and I'm hoping to get good A level predictions (ie at least 1 A* which exceeds the requirements for English at Oxford). Hell, I even got a scholarship for this access scheme that basically doubles my chances of getting in provided I get the right grades. But that exam was so awful I don't think I can get into any of the unis I want to go to. All my other subjects are linear so it's going to look pretty bad if the only grade I actually have is a low/average one. I know I can retake but that may be stressful and I don't really want to take a gap year before applying to uni (sorry I sound so stubborn and fussy).
Is there any chance of me getting into Oxford if I have a B at AS but do really well in literally everything else (ie the ELAT, interview, personal statement and GCSEs)? I probably sound really paranoid and picky but I just want to have the chance to go to Oxford, and if not there, a really good uni that I'll thrive in :smile:
Original post by EmilyBreeds
(Long waffly paragraph alert) So I had my AS Psychology paper 1 on Mon 16th May and let's just say I definitely will NOT get an A on that paper, though I do have paper 2 next Monday so hopefully I can redeem myself. However I'm just going to assume now that I've got at least a D, and at most a B. The thing is I really want to go to Oxford for uni to study English. I got 7 A*s, 2 As and a B at GCSE and I'm predicted an A/B for psychology (ha) at AS. I'm just worried that because I've potentially got a lower grade than I was hoping, I'm not going to be able to get in. I've been on study days and I'm pretty sure I have the right GCSEs to get in, and I'm hoping to get good A level predictions (ie at least 1 A* which exceeds the requirements for English at Oxford). Hell, I even got a scholarship for this access scheme that basically doubles my chances of getting in provided I get the right grades. But that exam was so awful I don't think I can get into any of the unis I want to go to. All my other subjects are linear so it's going to look pretty bad if the only grade I actually have is a low/average one. I know I can retake but that may be stressful and I don't really want to take a gap year before applying to uni (sorry I sound so stubborn and fussy).
Is there any chance of me getting into Oxford if I have a B at AS but do really well in literally everything else (ie the ELAT, interview, personal statement and GCSEs)? I probably sound really paranoid and picky but I just want to have the chance to go to Oxford, and if not there, a really good uni that I'll thrive in :smile:

Please don't put 'fail' and then say 'D, at most a B' because that is NOT a fail. I know people who got U's and this would frankly make them feel like crap (well, even more crap). I got an E when I took it the first time and I felt devastated. I understand that you may be disappointed by a B but 2 years ago I could only have dreamed of such a grade and it is far from a fail. I did get my B eventually though :':wink:

Secondly, if Oxford is your dream then go for it. But don't assume that just because it's a 'good' uni you'll definitely thrive there because that's not necessarily true.

No-one can tell you whether Oxford will give you a chance - that's up to the university and depends on many factors. But you'll never know if you don't try! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Calm down.
As long as you do well in English they literally won't give a crap, I know someone who got AABC at AS and got in for PPE, which is miles more competitive than English.

And lol at the person above, getting a D is practically a fail, even if it isn't an 'official' fail. No unis that I know of specify that getting a D is fine, so if getting a D isn't useful for your uni application then it might as well have been a U.

But yeah overall OP, getting a B is absolutely fine for Oxford as long as you do well in the relevant subjects. If it were Cambridge though then it may have an impact, depending on your other subjects, because I think they look at your UMS across your top three subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by emiloujess
Please don't put 'fail' and then say 'D, at most a B' because that is NOT a fail. I know people who got U's and this would frankly make them feel like crap (well, even more crap). I got an E when I took it the first time and I felt devastated. I understand that you may be disappointed by a B but 2 years ago I could only have dreamed of such a grade and it is far from a fail. I did get my B eventually though :':wink:

Secondly, if Oxford is your dream then go for it. But don't assume that just because it's a 'good' uni you'll definitely thrive there because that's not necessarily true.

No-one can tell you whether Oxford will give you a chance - that's up to the university and depends on many factors. But you'll never know if you don't try! :smile:

oh gosh yeah sorry, I just set impossibly high standards for myself so sorry if I've offended anyone :O but thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by Uw0tm8_
Calm down.

i'm trying
Reply 6
Original post by JRKinder
As long as you do well in English they literally won't give a crap, I know someone who got AABC at AS and got in for PPE, which is miles more competitive than English.

And lol at the person above, getting a D is practically a fail, even if it isn't an 'official' fail. No unis that I know of specify that getting a D is fine, so if getting a D isn't useful for your uni application then it might as well have been a U.

But yeah overall OP, getting a B is absolutely fine for Oxford as long as you do well in the relevant subjects. If it were Cambridge though then it may have an impact, depending on your other subjects, because I think they look at your UMS across your top three subjects.

this was really helpful, thank you so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest