The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PeaceyBoy
Determines strength and direction of relationship and also is ideal to use for the Bradshaw Model as it assumes a linear relationship.

what do you mean by a linear relationship?
Original post by Jamescullen2505
What is GIS

Geographical Information System, basically Google Earth/Maps
Reply 902
what's predicted for part 1?
Justification of why we chose a scatter graph for our presentation technique for rivers?
Original post by Sparky2016
Justification of why we chose a scatter graph for our presentation technique for rivers?

Depends on what your aim was, but ours was to compare variables within the continuity equation and so using a scatter graph allowed us to do this and gave clear representations of the relationships the variables had with one another.
Original post by Heather_J
Depends on what your aim was, but ours was to compare variables within the continuity equation and so using a scatter graph allowed us to do this and gave clear representations of the relationships the variables had with one another.

We were doing Bradshaw model and discharge increasing downstream
Reply 906
I've never even seen or done a physical-based section for skills?!
Original post by Sparky2016
We were doing Bradshaw model and discharge increasing downstream

okay, so you'd be able to talk about the relationships between variables as part of the bradshaw model which can easily and clearly be displayed on a scatter graph (EG comparing velocity and slope angle you can see a negative correlation which supports the bradshaw theory).
Original post by EnyaS
I've never even seen or done a physical-based section for skills?!

The June 2014, 2012, 2011 and January 2010 are papers based in rivers! :tongue:
Reply 909
Original post by shmeo81
River was 7 km long, sites 1-6 were in wooded areas whilst sites 7&8 were in more open spaces. The upper sites were in a large V shaped valley and the whole area was easily accessible. The river ran through 2 settlements, Holford and Kilve.

I can't really think of anything else to say so thats probably not 5 marks, so if anyone else could add stuff it would be good

Original post by naz.97
1. The river Chess is a tributary of the river Colne, which in turn is a tributary of the River Thames
2. River chess drainage basin is 105km^ & flows approximately 18km from source to confluence
3. Rock type:chalk
4. River flows through some rural and urban areas
5. Some parts of the river have undergone hard-engineering (such as channel straightening) to manage flooding

Ahh thanks guys! That really helped :smile:
Reply 910
Original post by aamirac

thanks!
Reply 911
Original post by aamirac

Do you know how I can get access to the 2012, 2011 & 2010 papers? they're not available on the AQA website
Reply 912
Is percentage vegetation cover biotic or abiotic?
Original post by geographygenius2
Right ive seen all the predictions etc but rather be fully prepared.

How could I answer how my enquiry improved my understanding of the topic area? (did bradshaws model and rivers)
Also if asked about how ict could be used what could i say?

thanks in advance

I'm not sure about the first one, but for the ICT you could talk about what programmes you used to display your data, e.g.
-AEGIS GIS package to plot the results of the variables you studied onto a base map of the river. Which was easy to use and the pie charts/bars etc. allowed you to clearly display the changes in variables down the river course.
Additionally I used a website called multimap.com/google earth about which you could say
-the website www.multimap.com was used and the river (name of river) was searched for. This gave us the maps in different scales, which were then printed off, and we used them to record data along the route from source to mouth at the sites of study.

hope this helps a little, good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by shmeo81
If the exam asks us to complete work for Standard Deviation or Spearman's Rank, they will give us the data correct?
as i am only learning 3 peices of data for 3 different variables

Standard D came up last year but spear mans rank has not come up for 2 years. Anyways they will ask you to fill out the table
Original post by EnyaS
Do you know how I can get access to the 2012, 2011 & 2010 papers? they're not available on the AQA website

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2ejun4038362oi5/AABw2hsF778TDaQZRjdMTeQIa?dl=0
What secondary data could I have got from the river?
Original post by EnyaS
what's predicted for part 1?

Spearman rank has not beem asked for 2 years but SD came up last year. Also last year was mainly about population so this year is likey tl be rivers. Therefore there may be hjustrom curve
Reply 919
Original post by Naturally_Abii
Spearman rank has not beem asked for 2 years but SD came up last year. Also last year was mainly about population so this year is likey tl be rivers. Therefore there may be hjustrom curve

thanks!
What do you think they'll ask us about the hjulstrom curve? I really don't understand it! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending