The Student Room Group

Egyptair plane with 66 passengers disappears from radar

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaconandSauce
You have made up your mind based on no FACTS at all other than your assumptions

AS you say you are not an expert in the field yet you are so sure this 'Could not have been a bomb'

Best do the right thing and wait for the facts before deciding don't you think?

I have based it on facts.

Fact 1: bombs effects are amplified at higher altitudes, this bomb was set to go off 20 minutes before landing, a dumb move by terrorists
Fact 2: a plane swerving left and right is not possible for a plane that has been crippled by an explosive, source
Fact 3: Paris and Cairo are two of the most secure airports, given their two recent terror attacks
Fact 4: no one has claimed responsibility, within 6 hours of it becoming breaking news across the world, ISIS claimed responsibility for the previous EgyptAir crash

So yeah, keep on pretending that Islam is the problem if it makes you feel safer flying
Original post by beta_tester

What facts do you know about the crash?

I know you seem to know 'facts' about other crashes but what facts do you know about this actual Crash

and it seems in your rush to attack you didn't read (or understand) my post

Best do the right thing and wait for the facts before deciding don't you think?

Or another way best not to day things like 'it definitely wasn't' until we know what it was

note definitely 'without doubt'

But your last line is rather telling and does define where you are coming from and why you seem so desperate for this 'not to have been a bomb'
If not a bomb, then three other potential causes then show up.

1. Mechanical failure
2. Pilot Suicide
3. Explosive Decompression.

Even so, there's an eerie correlation between this incident, Metrojet Flight 9268 and Daalo Airlines Flight 159.

1. All three flights were operated by either an Airbus A320 or an aircraft in the A320 Family.

Spoiler

2. All three flights were en-route to or over North African airspace.

3. All three were travelling towards or over areas that are hotspots of fighting between ISIL and governmental forces.

Makes you think, doesn't it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by the bear
conspiracy theories ( pace Fullofsurprises ) are really only appropriate for 12 year olds who breakfast on Doritos and Relentless.

I'm overwhelmed, please, Bear, stop with the praisings.

3. Paris and Cairo are very secure airports. Given the recent attacks in Paris, and the Metrojet bombing, both countries seriously upped their security. I would be very surprised if an explosive got through either airports.

Maybe your overall analysis is right, that it likely was not a bomb, but one flaw is the idea that Paris is superbly secure - given that they have only recently dismissed quite a number of airport workers for alleged radicalisation, it would appear that there could easily be a serious flaw in the security there.
Reply 185
Original post by BaconandSauce

Or another way best not to day things like 'it definitely wasn't' until we know what it was

Original post by Destoroyah

1. Mechanical failure
2. Pilot Suicide

Even so, there's an eerie correlation between this incident, Metrojet Flight 9268 and Daalo Airlines Flight 159.

1. All three flights were operated by either an Airbus A320 or an aircraft in the A320 Family.

You missed another obvious potential cause: attempted hijack.

How is the aircraft type relevant to any cause for the disaster other than mechanical or system failure? Are A320 pilots more prone to suicide? Is the A320 a particularly easy plane to hijack? Are there extra good places on the A320 in which to hide bombs?
Not sure if it's related but if I was because of a terrorist attack from ISIS apparently they've claimed it was them and then killed 20 'spies' by lowering them and literally disolving them in nitric acid. Absolutely disgusting how far terrorism has gone (again I'm not sure what the cause of it was)
It was almost certainly not brought down by a bomb, unless it was a really small one which singularly killed the pilots and no one else. This is why:

2. A plane hit by any decent size explosive would've been completely destroyed midair. The EgyptAir and PanAn explosives broke it in mid air, it would not have been capable of this 'left then right circle' manoeuvre, which is what is explained in the source I linked. It would more likely have been split in two and fallen down, being completely uncontrollable - evidently the plane was intact after this 'incident' and it managed to turn, a broken plane would not have been detected to do this.

Fact 1: bombs effects are amplified at higher altitudes, this bomb was set to go off 20 minutes before landing, a dumb move by terrorists
Fact 2: a plane swerving left and right is not possible for a plane that has been crippled by an explosive, source
Fact 3: Paris and Cairo are two of the most secure airports, given their two recent terror attacks
Fact 4: no one has claimed responsibility, within 6 hours of it becoming breaking news across the world, ISIS claimed responsibility for the previous EgyptAir crash

So yeah, keep on pretending that Islam is the problem if it makes you feel safer flying

Bombs don't always down aircraft

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're comparing it to other events then you have to do so equally.
I don't think it'll ever be found

Posted from TSR Mobile
The BBC is reporting an Egyptian military bulletin that aircraft wreckage and passenger belongings have been found 180 miles north of Alexandria.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36339614

1. Mechanical failure
2. Pilot Suicide

Spoiler

2. All three flights were en-route to or over North African airspace.

3. All three were travelling towards or over areas that are hotspots of fighting between ISIL and governmental forces.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Are you suggesting some form of surface to air attack over the sea? Seems a bit of a stretch to think that Al Qaeda affiliates would have that kind of capability.

Presumably just as plausible is some kind of 'error' in military targeting - we've had civil airliners brought down in the past by military forces due to alleged 'accidents'.
Original post by Good bloke
You missed another obvious potential cause: attempted hijack.

How is the aircraft type relevant to any cause for the disaster other than mechanical or system failure? Are A320 pilots more prone to suicide? Is the A320 a particularly easy plane to hijack? Are there extra good places on the A320 in which to hide bombs?

Ah, that too.

Interestingly, the A320 is also one of the most advanced aircraft in the world. It is almost completely controlled by inputs to the computer system. However, the fact that this is the third incident involving an A320 in the span of a single year (or fourth if the Germanwings crash is included), and the fact that the prior two incidents with an A320 were the direct result of terrorism is strange indeed.

I don't think A320 Pilots are more motivated to suicide, that's simply ludicrous. I'm sure that in the coming weeks we'll learn more information crucial to understanding what happened in the air on that fateful day.
Original post by xsarawr
I don't think it'll ever be found

That was a well-timed post, wasn't it?
the fact that this is the third incident involving an A320 in the span of a single year (or fourth if the Germanwings crash is included), and the fact that the prior two incidents with an A320 were the direct result of terrorism is strange indeed.

Why? This is one of the most widely used commercial aircraft types. It is the fastest-selling airliner and 7,000 have been built, with 5,000 more on order.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Are you suggesting some form of surface to air attack over the sea? Seems a bit of a stretch to think that Al Qaeda affiliates would have that kind of capability.

Presumably just as plausible is some kind of 'error' in military targeting - we've had civil airliners brought down in the past by military forces due to alleged 'accidents'.

That's very true. I'm not saying that this was the result of a Sea-To-Air missile, as that seems unlikely. It's just strange that three airliners, all of the same type, are involved in either critical or fatal incidents, two of which are the direct result of explosive decompression caused by a bomb.

In addition, the A320 initially had many accidents when it was first introduced because of its high-tech computer system. Heck, when it first appeared at an airshow, it crashed into a forest.

Spoiler

Nearly three decades have passed since then, and the A320 is now one of the most reliable and safe jets there is. It seems unlikely that this is the result of a technical error.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke

Aircraft type is no correlation. For airlines of this size it's only ever going to be an A320 derivative or a B737 derivative - there simply aren't other options for airlines to buy.

There are some 6,700 A320s and 6,500 B737s in service globally. Law of averages puts these two as the most likely to be hit simply because of how many there are.
Original post by hovado

:smile: have to agree

So much use of 'definitely' when we know sod all other than it has gone missing
Original post by Drewski
Aircraft type is no correlation. For airlines of this size it's only ever going to be an A320 derivative or a B737 derivative - there simply aren't other options for airlines to buy.

There are some 6,700 A320s and 6,500 B737s in service globally. Law of averages puts these two as the most likely to be hit simply because of how many there are.

Quite! It is preposterous to read anything into what is an inevitable coincidence based on these numbers.
That's very true. I'm not saying that this was the result of a Sea-To-Air missile, as that seems unlikely. It's just strange that three airliners, all of the same type, are involved in either critical or fatal incidents, two of which are the direct result of explosive decompression caused by a bomb.

Why not include the FlyDubai crash in Russia? Is it just because that doesn't fit in your narrative?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending