The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'm an A2 student and I stg I found this harder than C3 past papers.

I feel sorry for the AS ppl
Hopefully 75 for me, but I can see why people were annoyed.

I don't think the self-inverse is in the spec, and if it is it hadn't come up for years... it was just about reasonable to infer what it meant from the context, but I know a lot of good students who didn't.

Question 8a was more algebraically involved than is typical; ditto for the last two parts of question 9. Other than the last few questions I think the paper was generally reasonable though, and even on the harder questions there were gift marks to be had.

On the whole a step up from last year, but I fear not as big a step up as general consensus would suggest... similarly grade boundaries will probably go down a bit, but maybe not that much. An A in the high fifties is possible, but I wouldn't like to cast much judgment yet.
Reply 1422
Original post by Princepieman

Ah yes ofcourse, I got it
predicted boundaries:

100 UMS - 74
90 UMS - 69
80 UMS - 65
70 UMS - 58
Reply 1424
Original post by Krollo
Hopefully 75 for me, but I can see why people were annoyed.

I don't think the self-inverse is in the spec, and if it is it hadn't come up for years... it was just about reasonable to infer what it meant from the context, but I know a lot of good students who didn't.

Question 8a was more algebraically involved than is typical; ditto for the last two parts of question 9. Other than the last few questions I think the paper was generally reasonable though, and even on the harder questions there were gift marks to be had.

On the whole a step up from last year, but I fear not as big a step up as general consensus would suggest... similarly grade boundaries will probably go down a bit, but maybe not that much. An A in the high fifties is possible, but I wouldn't like to cast much judgment yet.

For self-inverse I just multiplied it by itself to get the identity matrix, is this a valid answer?
Original post by Person18
Parabola

Oh right, I found that one pretty much standard difficulty
Original post by LLk1
What was the question about for 12.468?

Newton Raphson I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even still, I reckon you'd get the mark for saying sqrt(5). It's not a ****ing English paper analysing a comma.
Reply 1428
fp1 stands for **** me in the ass please 1
Original post by dididid
exact same thing happened to me i also managed to get the first induction but i only managed to do half of the 2nd induction as i wasn't thinking straight :frown:

yep. just about got both inductions, there was one step missing in my proof for the first one which would explain why i would minus the 2k + 3, hopefully they either don't notice or they assume i just realised and wrote it down
What does everyone think the grade boundaries will be? high or low?
65 for an A? That's 86% - absolutely no chance.

Original post by beta_tester
predicted boundaries:

100 UMS - 74
90 UMS - 69
80 UMS - 65
70 UMS - 58
predicted boundaries:

100 UMS - 74
90 UMS - 69
80 UMS - 65
70 UMS - 58

65 for an A! You having a laugh
Original post by TheRandomGenius
65 for an A? That's 86% - absolutely no chance.

it was a very easy paper though, and it was 69 for an A one year
Reply 1434
predicted boundaries:

100 UMS - 74
90 UMS - 69
80 UMS - 65
70 UMS - 58

who predicted that your uncle in uzbekistan who thinks a goat is a rocket

get out of here with your ******** grade boundaries loser
Original post by ombtom
M3 was definitely easier, compared to the past papers. Although I still managed to mess up M3 (the 9 mark question) and do fairly well in FP1. :biggrin:

I was completely shocked on Wednesday cause I am not a mechanics expert (I tend to get like 80-85% in M3) but on Wednesday every single thing went so smooth. Today tho... I think I'll get the lowest FP1 grade in my life. 😂 I think I lost like 8 marks and all in such a stupid way. What a nightmare. Btw maybe u remember how much were the last two subsequent ions in question 9 worth?
☺️🙃
Do people do maths as and further as at the same time or do maths a level in one year then further maths a level second year
That question 7 ****ed me over.
I found every single question easily doable except for question 7 and 9.
I couldn't find A, so that's a lot of marks lost already for question 7.
I couldn't show that the equation of the normal in question 9a was the equation that they gave us.
Plus I'm sure I made loads of silly mistakes everywhere.

A B (if I'm lucky), but probably gonna get a C or something.

Surprisingly, I found the proofs to be quite easy, yet everyone else is finding it hard. Kinda implies that I probably did it wrong too.

)):
Was the self inverse matrix R or T , cus i bloody used T as the matrix and now everyonr says its R thats the matrix, would i lose make for calling it wrong
For you, maybe. But in most people's opinion this was the hardest ever UK FP1 paper, which I agree with. In fact, I think it's the second hardest overall FP1 paper including IAL, coming second only to Jan 2016.

it was a very easy paper though, and it was 69 for an A one year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending