The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Literature (Shakespeare and Poetry) - 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notbeyonce*
Do we have to learn critics' quotes for Shakespeare? Also do we have to add quotes from the play that is not in the extract?

Well for OCR spec we have to learn critics quotes and dont get an extract. Are you on teh same board ?
Seems like everyone is doing the genre of love. Is anyone else doing tragedy?
Original post by Natashja
Well for OCR spec we have to learn critics quotes and dont get an extract. Are you on teh same board ?

AQA, oh ok yeah that makes more sense. We don't have to quote critics in ours I believe.
Original post by electric33
It's okay, glad I could help! :h:

I hope you do well in the exam! How are you feeling about it?

bit worried but i think everyone is, just keep in a positive mind set and hopefully it will turn out alright! :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by georgia1208
bit worried but i think everyone is, just keep in a positive mind set and hopefully it will turn out alright! :smile:

Same here, English Lit's a hard subject so everyone's bound to be worried, this isn't my first exam but it's certainly the most stressful.

I'm going into my college early tomorrow to try and do some more revision for the exam, but a positive mindset should be kept up!

Good luck for the exam! You'll do great :h:!!!
I don't think we have to quote critics, although my tutor said it's best to because it gets you more marks for ao5 (alternative interpretations) apperently idk, but I'm bricking it for the exam tomorrow:frown:
Hi- just wondering how did you guys find the exam? I think I completely messed it up but the rest of my class were very happy as they left the exam smiling and pretty much jumping for joy- kind of hoping I'm not the only one who thought the Othello question was hard.
Original post by EvieEmerald
Hi- just wondering how did you guys find the exam? I think I completely messed it up but the rest of my class were very happy as they left the exam smiling and pretty much jumping for joy- kind of hoping I'm not the only one who thought the Othello question was hard.

I read the times wrong and thought I had 20 minutes left, I only got the opening paragraph for the poetry question so at least you haven't done as bad as me.
Original post by notbeyonce*
I read the times wrong and thought I had 20 minutes left, I only got the opening paragraph for the poetry question so at least you haven't done as bad as me.

I'm sorry to hear this, try not to panic though as we still have the other exam on Thursday and fingers crossed that'll boost our grades up!
Reply 29

Hey

I did okay on the Othello question but it was quite confusing - it didn't really particularly say why Desdemona and Emilia have much in common and it was quite broad, so I spent quite a while thinking about what I was trying to write. :frown:

As for the Garden of Love question, that is my weakest poem so I don't think I did that great on it.

I have a lot of friends who take English Lit and they all said it was quite difficult.

How did you find the poetry question?
Hey

I did okay on the Othello question but it was quite confusing - it didn't really particularly say why Desdemona and Emilia have much in common and it was quite broad, so I spent quite a while thinking about what I was trying to write. :frown:

As for the Garden of Love question, that is my weakest poem so I don't think I did that great on it.

I have a lot of friends who take English Lit and they all said it was quite difficult.

How did you find the poetry question?

It was and the only thing I could think of that they had in common was that they were women :biggrin: other than that I had no clue and just wrote all sorts of unnecessary, unrelated things down in the hope I'd pick up points. But I barely used any terminology for the quotes as I couldn't see any iconic/ very significant quotes mentioned.

The Garden of Love was, I thought, one of my stronger ones. But when I tried to write my answer, I struggled to come up with an argument for why love and religion are not totally opposites :frown:

Fingers crossed for low grade boundaries :smile:
Reply 31
It was and the only thing I could think of that they had in common was that they were women :biggrin: other than that I had no clue and just wrote all sorts of unnecessary, unrelated things down in the hope I'd pick up points. But I barely used any terminology for the quotes as I couldn't see any iconic/ very significant quotes mentioned.

The Garden of Love was, I thought, one of my stronger ones. But when I tried to write my answer, I struggled to come up with an argument for why love and religion are not totally opposites :frown:

Fingers crossed for low grade boundaries :smile:

I agree - I put about how Emilia and Desdemona were similar in the sense that they endured a period of neglect by their husbands (Iago tried to stab Emilia and Othello did not believe Desdemona when she told him that she was innocent). But I think the question was really badly worded in general. I think the best terminology I used was colour symbolism and even that's quite complex.

There was nothing in the poem which I could find which showed that love and religion are not totally opposites. Did you get anything which showed that love and religion are total opposites?
I agree - I put about how Emilia and Desdemona were similar in the sense that they endured a period of neglect by their husbands (Iago tried to stab Emilia and Othello did not believe Desdemona when she told him that she was innocent). But I think the question was really badly worded in general. I think the best terminology I used was colour symbolism and even that's quite complex.

There was nothing in the poem which I could find which showed that love and religion are not totally opposites. Did you get anything which showed that love and religion are total opposites?

Yeah I spoke about how the change in structure- stopped rhyming and then had inter-rhyme suggested how religion was eradicating love from his life and how the chapel had 'thou shalt not' (or something like that proved it. also wrote about death imagery being linked to the religious imagery could symbolise the death of love. I just kept repeating these points as I couldn't think of much.

Couldn't find anything to go against the question though either :s-smilie:
Same here, English Lit's a hard subject so everyone's bound to be worried, this isn't my first exam but it's certainly the most stressful.

I'm going into my college early tomorrow to try and do some more revision for the exam, but a positive mindset should be kept up!

Good luck for the exam! You'll do great :h:!!!

thank youu and the exam went quite good!! im a slow writer but i managed to write more than i usually do (thank god) so hopefully it will pay off! how was it for you? :smile:
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Seems like everyone is doing the genre of love. Is anyone else doing tragedy?

Seriously? No one doing tragedy?
Reply 35
the othello question was very awkward. For the first bullet point I waffled because I had no idea :frown:. I mentioned about speaking in prose, mutuality, maternal figure etc....
For the second bullet point I mentioned about them being wives, to be men in a patriarchal society. However, the stark contrast between othello and Desdemona romantic marriage, and Idaho and Emilia's boring cuckholdary manituplative marriage. ( I kind of waffled again) I related to act 5.2 and act 1.3.

For the garden of love by William Blake I kept repeating about symbolism :frown: :s-smilie:, and I put against the argument that Wolliam Blake was a religious man, and this suggest that love and relationships aren't total opposites. Yet, it's the orthodox attitudes of religion which puts 'graves' where the 'sweet flowers bore', which reveals how love and religion are total opposites.

I hope everyone did well :smile:, good luck, I'm expecting an E :frown:, just hoping the grade boundaries are low. :s-smilie::frown:
Hi can anyone remeber the Othello question on the AS AQA paper 2017? as I have done all the other past paper questions. Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending