The Student Room Group

FP1 F1 IAL May 2016 Discussion

The FP1 GCE paper is mainly being discussed in the other thread so I thought we could iscuss the IAL paper here.
What did you guys get for the value of k? I got 1/5.
Some of my other answers were 49root2/2 for the area, -1/6+1/2i for the value of z, root3i and -root3i for the two other solutions of the quartic equation, rotation of 67.8 degrees anticlockwise for the matrix transformation. For the first question, the sum was (n/2)(n+1)(n+2)(n-3)
Original post by The_Big_E
Some of my other answers were 49root2/2 for the area, -1/6+1/2i for the value of z, root3i and -root3i for the two other solutions of the quartic equation, rotation of 67.8 degrees anticlockwise for the matrix transformation. For the first question, the sum was (n/2)(n+1)(n+2)(n-3)

Didn't find k, agreed with the rest, but i think i found 67.4 degrees anticlockwise (tan^-1 12/5)?
Reply 3
I dint find k either but my transformation was also 67.4 degrees anticlockwise. how did you show your root was correct to two d.p. in the numerical methods question
Original post by queenoflean
I dint find k either but my transformation was also 67.4 degrees anticlockwise. how did you show your root was correct to two d.p. in the numerical methods question

Didn't find that either, these were the only wrong things i got i think :smile:

Well my approximation was -1.64 so i tried doing f (-1.635) and f (-1.645) to see if there was a sign change, but that didnt work so 2 marks gone :frown:

Maybe you had to try again but using interval bisection or linear interpolation?
Well my approximation was -1.64 so i tried doing f (-1.635) and f (-1.645) to see if there was a sign change, but that didnt work so 2 marks gone :frown:

Maybe you had to try again but using interval bisection or linear interpolation?

i tried f(-1.64) and i got -1.49 i think
Reply 7

I did f(-1.64) and got -.0075. and since -.0075x100=-.75, it was correct to two dp?
I did f(-1.64) and got -.0075. and since -.0075x100=-.75, it was correct to two dp?

That seems reasonable!
Reply 9
I wish we could get an unofficial mark scheme going, but it doesn't seem as if that many people sat for this exam
The FP1 GCE paper is mainly being discussed in the other thread so I thought we could iscuss the IAL paper here.

Original post by Chirstos Ioannou
Didn't find k, agreed with the rest, but i think i found 67.4 degrees anticlockwise (tan^-1 12/5)?

Didn't find that either, these were the only wrong things i got i think :smile:

i tried f(-1.64) and i got -1.49 i think

That seems reasonable!

I wish we could get an unofficial mark scheme going, but it doesn't seem as if that many people sat for this exam

I have written solutions here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4106739&p=65033993#post65033993

Quick Reply

Latest